OD/NG P-51Ds wheel well color

What would the wheel well and gear door color be for OD/NG camoflauged P-51Ds be? The one in question is Ol Flak Joe.

No P-51Ds left the factory in OD/NG. They were all natural metal. Any camouflaged D's were camouflaged in-theater. According to Merle Olmsted, who not only extensively researched his book "To War With The Yoxford Boys" about the 357th FG, he was a crew chief with the 357th, there is a very good case for the camo birds having been done in RAF Dark Green and Medium Sea Grey.

The extensive discussion on wheel well colors doesn't really have anything to do with what color the outside of the airplane was painted. It depends on when and where the airplane was built :)

J

In the wheel wells? Have a look at the thread. It's not at all that simple...

No, but I don't care. It's just 1/72 scale and the only person who will see the kit is me. I'll keep it simple for me. I'm not too worried about all the spars and bits in ZCY. I'll just paint the wells IG and the doors some shade of aluminum/silver.

Edited by FlyingSnowmew