Vickers Valiant B1 (RCM)

Well after a fair a bit of work (see 'wip'),this first one is finally done. It's a good kit to be fair but like the earlier Nimrod and big TSR2 it has a number of errors that really need fixing prior to completion. However once these are done it does undeniably looks like a Valiant. Airfix are to be congratulated on taking this one on, thankfully it's a quantum leap over the Mach 2 offering too. I wanted to do something a bit different for this first one and so after a bit of research decided that the special RCM Valiants of 199/18 squadrons of the late 50's would make for an interesting subject. No lumps and bumps on this version just several whip aerials to denote its special role as an RCM,(later ECM) jamming support aircraft for the V Bomber fleet.There were only 7 of these aircraft modified and later on they were retrofitted back to become bombers once again as ECM equipment became available fitted as standard to the Vulcan and Victor B1A's. 199 squadron only had these aircraft for a short time and as such they didn't get excessively dirty so against all temptation I decided to go for a freshly delivered aircraft and keep the weathering to a minimum..(to be fair the Valiants didn't get that dirty

during service , like the Victor and Valiant the undersides of the engine bays and the rear fuselage just under the tail only really showing marked staining).

Those of you who have one or a couple of these in the stash really should crack on with them as it really is worth building and if you feel like using the mods that I've suggested then all the better.

Model was finished using Vallejo gloss white over coated with Vallejo's matt varnish, (these aircraft had a matt white finish to start with), and the 199 squadron decals come from the 'Kits At War' set.

Anyhoo hope you like it, and inspires a few to get theirs built..............Cheers all, :cheers:

Melchie...

P1110414-3.jpg

P1110417-1.jpg

P1110409-1.jpg

P1110419-1-1.jpg

P1110415-1-1.jpg

P1110387-2.jpg

P1110397-2.jpg

P1110393-2.jpg

P1110391-1.jpg

Edited by General Melchett

The kits vortex generators were sliced off and replaced using thin card after the fin flash was put in place, (much easier than trying to fit the decal over them!!). I also added the mainplane topside ones too..these are missing on the kit,

P1110389-1.jpg

The kits nose gear bay is pretty empty and needs a fair bit of extra work to improve including retraction struts, steering servos, door retraction stays, pipwork and electrical points amongst other things,

P1110404-1.jpg

One of the worst parts is the main gear bay doors as the interior surfaces are completely fictious, so I've added the dished inner skin and extra retraction jacks,

P1110402-1.jpg

Airfix have done a grand job on all the engine bay stencils, well worth the effort, in fact the decals in general are excellent quality,

P1110401-1.jpg

Thanks guys, glad you like it, not a bad kit but needs a fair bit of correcting to get just right...Neo, the white finish wasn't really much of a problem to be honest..it's automotive acrylic decanted into the airbrush and applied in multiple layers at about 20 psi.

Thanks again,

Andy

Thanks guys, your comments are appreciated as usual. There really isn't much need to weather these aircraft as they were kept pretty clean by the hardworking ground crews....so the decision not to do so was quite easy, (in fact I haven't weathered any of my white V-Bombers for that reason)...

Thanks again, :cheers:

Andy

• 2 weeks later...