Getting ready to paint the AFV F-5E in Sundowners livery.

Getting ready to shot paint on this bird and it's been a nice break from difficult builds. The kit has gone together without a hitch. It offers ailerons, flaps (trailing and leading), and tail surfaces that could be posed. Would it be wrong to drop the leading and trailing edge flaps, pose the ailerons deflected a bit, and pitch the vertical stabs? I've only seen a pic or two of the aircraft on the ramp with anything but surfaces in their neutral positions. I think it could add character to the aircraft as it sits.

Randy

In looking at hundreds of pics of parked F-5's when I did my build I don't recall seeing any aircraft that had their control surfaces in anything other than the neutral position. Of course I saw these pics after I had completed most of the build, so I dropped my flaps a bit (does look nice but I don't think it is correct). Hopefully Fred (F-5Guy) will see this thread and give you a better, more definitive answer.

On the F-5s, only the ailerons sag after shutdown as they are hydraulics, flaps are usually up as they are electrical. Only see them down if the flap switch is on the 'full down', not 'combat' setting and the driver forgets to retract them. Speedbrakes can be down or up. HTH

Andy