Hi

Very nice choice with this recce aircraft. This kit is one of the best of this Heller series.

If you need some advice about colours do not hesitate.

I'm looking forward.

Patrick

Thanks, I did manage to track down all the Humbrol callouts and have them translated to Tamiya and Vallejo, my paints of choice. Looks like it'll be mostly Tamiya as I've got all but 2 of the required colours in Tamiya (one is Vallejo, the other I need to pick up from my local pusher)

I've painted the interior and gear wells as per the Heller callouts and assembled the wings:

6082313237_cfb13edab4_z.jpg

Heller Bloch 174 A3 1/72 by mawz_models, on Flickr

6082313671_984c6c9d1d_z.jpg

6082314091_e27697d208_z.jpg

Very basic interior, I wonder if anyone does an aftermarket interior as this kit really calls out for one (along with a vacform canopy), I'm going entirely OOB though. The wings need a bit of filler, one wingtip has a noticable gap and there's gaps at the nacelles as well. Quite good fit overall for this sort of kit though.

If I ever build another one, new seats are going to be the minimum add. The kit seats are the one spot where the kit really falls down, they're just lumps.

Edited by mawz

I'm Xtracolor addict but Tamiya is as good. Like on my Bréguet 693

I'm not sure about the "chamois" interior as many aircraft of the same time were dark blue grey. Actually chamois was the color inside the flaps.

Patrick

I'm think the dark blue grey is actually correct for the Bloch 174 as well, or at least most builds I've found went with that. I decided to go with the kit callouts anyways for a strict OOB experience.

• 3 weeks later...

The major structure is together, just need to fill at the wing roots:

6134825526_2ea9cfb52a_z.jpg

And the engines are in their cowls. One of these went together beautifully but the other had one side of the cowl warped and will need some fettling once the cement is dry.

6134824736_9aba561ba6_z.jpg

• 1 month later...

Deacon,

One of the nice things about those old-fashioned thick transparencies is that they are a LOT easier to mask than otherwise nicer modern moldings. The thick framing let me mask the entire nose less than 10 minutes.

• 2 weeks later...

Last year I picked up a bunch of the Smer boxings of Heller kits. One thing that I find interesting with the pre-war French aircraft is how random they seem to be with some very advanced and attractive looking planes designed alongside some of the most unlikely aircraft ever built. One of the French bombers I picked up looks like a flying office building, and is easily one of the ugliest bombers ever made. The 174 is about as far on the other end as you can get and would do well in any "best looking twin engine of WW2" contest.

Thanks folks,

David: as the Poles did buy a fair bit of French hardware in the prewar era, it's likely that French Camo Patterns were an influence on them.

johnsan: Yes, those are the kit decals. Heller's usual high quality but very basic decals.