1/32 Revell F-4E Phantom II

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks very much for looking in you guys!

Anyway.... decals! I hate them!!!!! :bandhead2:

IMG_20120508_180851.jpg

The sharkmouth looks cool though!

IMG_20120508_180910.jpg

IMG_20120508_180925.jpg

I used a combination of AirDoc (unit markings and insignia), IsraDecal (stencils), and the kit decals (bad mistake :crying2: ). I prepared the surface with Testors Glosscote and Klear. I reckon 90% of the decals silvered, and predominantly those on the dark green paint. I used MicroSet and Sol and ended up having to butcher practically ever decal and stencil and slather them in MicroSol to get rid of the silvering. Some were unfortunately irretrievable but most were thankfully on the bottom. The kit decals were totally dead, splintered into loads of bits as soon as I tried to apply them. Unfortunately this included the national insignia (why the AirDoc set didn't include them, I don't know) so they were a nightmare. Eventually I was able to splat them on the model with a layer of Microscale Liquid Decal Film.

IMG_20120508_181105.jpg

Silvering showing on the tail codes :unsure:

IMG_20120508_181027.jpg

The underneath showing the now-white wheelwells ^_^

IMG_20120508_181004.jpg

IMG_20120508_180949.jpg

Overviews of the camo and stencils - there are waaaay more than on the real thing, but I actually like the look of stencils so I went with all the underside and wing ones and about 25% of the fuselage ones.

All the other components completed and decalled:

IMG_20120508_181134.jpg

IMG_20120508_181354.jpg

IMG_20120508_181438.jpg

The decalling has been really frustrating, and I'm very glad to have finished it. I think my MicroSet might be past its best which is potentially why the decals wouldn't settle - the finish was smooth and glossy enough. It's a mystery to me! :wacko:

Cheers,

Al

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, thanks very much for the encouraging replies.

I kinda got bored with posting in-prog pics (sorry!!) after the decals disaster, so I just got on with finishing it.

A real labour of love like most Revell big-scale aircraft, phinally phinished with phlaws!!

DSCN3949.jpg

DSCN3948.jpg

DSCN3943.jpg

DSCN3942.jpg

DSCN3952.jpg

DSCN3945.jpg

DSCN3941.jpg

DSCN3951.jpg

DSCN3939.jpg

Only the second model I've completed this year, but one of my part-built shelf-sitters since 2008 completed at last!

Al

PS. Just found the nose gear door on the floor after taking these pics!!!! D'oh!

Edited by Pruz
  • 1 month later...

Thanks a lot, sorry for being rude and not replying!

Here's a pic of her at our club, taking the coveted Second Place Award in 1/32!!!

11-06-12_0150.JPG

Gary, good to see you are using the Flightpath set too, it should look amazing when you're done with it. I'm sure you are finding that the toughest part is getting the parts off the fret without deforming them, and following the instructions!!

Al

• 2 months later...

Wow! Great job- how did I miss this??!! :huh:

I have NEVER seen a Revell kit look so nice and accurate. Congrat's on a very fine- and difficult- build! :thumbsup:

Wow, thanks very much Chuck! Your Tamiya build was a huge inspiration to finish this. High praise indeed.

Al

Great work my friend! Having built the Revell F-4F myself I must say that you turned a rather mediocre kit into a beautiful Phantom! And if you are interested in how this Phantom ended up, this is a photo of the 68-0480 in Hellenic Air force service, "dressed up" in the Ghost camo (like the HAF F-16s, originally it was delivered to Greece in 1991 painted in the Hill Grey camo):

1214351F_zps4e1e93f9.jpg

I'm planning on building this particular aircraft in 1/48th.

Again, great work!

Edited by kwstasb
  • 2 months later...

Great work. Incredible!

I have inherited this kit but without the instruction manual. I plan a simpler build but hope to be able to find some decals so that I can approximate an aircraft from the NJ National Guard that my dad got a backseat ride in.