Virgin Atlantic Airbus A340-600.

I recently took the plunge and bought BraZ Models Airbus A340-600 conversion. I plan to use the decals provided, and complete this model in the colours of Virgin Atlantic.

First job was to cut the Revell A340-300 fuselage into the required sections:

IMG_0735.jpg

Once this was done, I test fitted the resin plug and found that the Revell fuselage has a slightly larger diameter than the BraZ part:

IMG_0733.jpg

To overcome this, I decided to extend the fuselage one half at a time, thus enabling the plastic part to fit snugly to the resin plug. Any excess plastic was then trimmed off, leaving the two fuselage halves having the exact same diameter as the resin insert:

IMG_0736.jpg

IMG_0739.jpg

Now this was complete, the fuselages could be joined, leaving nice and flush joins, with only minimal filling needed:

IMG_0742.jpg

Next the wings and tail were added. The fit was far from perfect, but some filling and sanding later and all was fine:

IMG_0754-1.jpg

IMG_0755-1.jpg

IMG_0757.jpg

Next the gear was added, and BraZ's four-wheel centre bogey fitted beautifully. I'm currently working on the engines. These are very well cast and will be painted separately to make the masking process easier:

IMG_0759.jpg

IMG_0760.jpg

I'll add more pictures as I progress.

Edited by TommyP

In between torrential downpours over the last couple of days I've managed to get some paint on the A340-600...

Engines have been done. First the nacelles were primed and then sprayed Halford's Ford Cherry Red, then the plyons were given a coat of Dove Grey. Decals were then added, and when laquered I'll add the various metal shades seen on the pylons and exhaust cones:

IMG_0765.jpg

The fuselage had the tail sprayed Cherry Red first, then this was protected whilst the corruguard areas were painted Rover Steel Grey, and when dry were masked off for more Dove Grey:

IMG_0766.jpg

IMG_0767.jpg

Next job is give the fuselage a final rub-down, before adding the fuselage colour. Halford's Citroen Pearl Grey is near enough an exact match for the silver of this scheme so fingers crossed for sunshine tomorrow!

Evening all... the A340-600 conversion is now finished.

I spent the afternoon adding the final details such as the wheels, aluminium on the leadng edges, adding the engines and painting lights etc. I'm pretty pleased with the outcome.

DSCF4856.jpg

DSCF4857.jpg

DSCF4858.jpg

DSCF4859.jpg

DSCF4863.jpg

DSCF4864.jpg

So... was £90 worth it? Well, it's a lot of money but I loved every single minute of this build. With a bit of forward planning and careful trimming, filling and sanding it builds into a lovely model. The resin was beautifully moulded and the decals were excellent.

I enjoy a challenge and this provided that... maybe a A340-500 will be a future project. My hat goes off to BraZ for producing models and conversions such as this... without people like him I would not have been able to add such a graceful aircraft to my collection

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey man, congrats for your fantastic work...

You make too easy and quick... how many hours or days or months ? did you take to get the final model ?....

Fantastic!!

Many thanks.

This took about three weeks from start to finish. I'm a teacher so could work on it for many hours each day!

Tom

You love these conversions don't you Tommy. I do love your work and that other chap cupra's work as well. I just hope I build my one as good as your kits.

Thanks Toni

Hi Toni,

Many thanks, and yes I do love a conversion. It's the only chance to buld and A340-500/600 currently, but I'm hoping one of the mainstream manufacturers will issue one one of these days.

Tom

• 3 weeks later...