Hi guys, I am building a 1/32nd vac B-17F and I was wondering if you can help with the camo colours. I am building my 17 to represent a 99th BG aircraft, 229472 Sweater Girl, my question is how to go about getting a very war weary and faded aircraft as she did 111 missions and seved all her time flying out of North Africa. I am not at the painting stage yet but was looking for clues how to achieve this look and I will be using either Xtracolour or WEM enamels. As I started my build some time back and more than likely wouldn't make the closing date that's why I never entered it here but here is a link of my build so far.

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=22986&st=180

Thanks for your help

Graham

Yes that is gorgeous.

As far as weathering you can do several things.

Most likely she'll have had lots of paint chips. Youve got a couple pics of her it seems so you'll know what to look for. Once painted the OD over Grey you can then go back and fade the paint with a lighter shade sprayed over top. Also if you know of or just want to replicate it I'm sure throughout her career she had several panels replaced or repaired so they would be darker paint. Fabric surfaces faded severely compared to the metal surfaces. Metal more seemed to scratch and chip than fade but over a long period of time, especially Africa, I'm sure they would have faded greatly.

Make sure to do the engine streaks properly.

Other than that if you've got the skill to build like that you should have no problem painting it.

When I painted my Airacomet, I sprayed the whole model several different shades of lightened and darkened olive drab. Once dry, I used a fine abrasive pad to carefully rub through the different layers of paint which left a mottled faded appearance to the paint. The photos don't show it as well as the real model, but it's may be worth having an experiment with the technique.

airacomet1.jpgairacomet7.jpg

airacomet8.jpg

Edited by Army_Air_Force