I have lots of books of aircraft subjects that I want to build, but the decal manufacturers either don't make the decals I want, or have discontinued them. Aside from making them myself, which is not out of the question, does anyone know someone who can make them for me?

Adobe Illustrator is the defacto standard for this but it's pretty expensive for one off work. There's a 60 day trial but it would probabably take someone that long to get something useable if they've never used illustrator before. Inkscape is another package I've used with success. It's free but not all print shops will take SVG format.

Creating decal art isn't like working with a bitmap. You need to have a very good understanding of how to create artwork with layers.

I’m going to assume you’re doing military aircraft. In this case just start with the basic national markings. Research your subject and find out what the sizes are for the national markings. Most nations have a collection of standard sizes. For example, the roundels on the wings of bare metal CF-104’s were 48â€. So for my decal sheet, that’s where I started.

I do everything in 1:1 size, then select all, rescale to the scale I need. You could also just start with the scaled down sizes if you like. I do the stencils next.

Custom stripes, nose art, etc… well… there’s a bunch of different ways to do that.

let me be even more clear in my intent, I am trying to design a decal sheet for a 1/72 scale Blue Angels C-54 Support Aircraft, so there are no national markings, just a big 8 on the tail, UNITED STATES NAVY on both sides of the fuselage in black US Navy in Blue angels yellow under the wings. Yellow stripe for fusilage and nose, yellow for the engine cowlings and cursive "blue angels" in yellow. I feel like if it was a normal military aircraft, it would be easier..

In this case I’d start with cutting and applying tamiya tape to your model that matches the pattern and design of the stripes and markings. Make the tape look as close to the design of the decals that you can. This will allow you to get a shape that properly conforms to the size and compound curves of your model.

Remove the tape and lay it flat on paper. Then scan it, open that scan in illustrator and trace the outline into a vector graphic. Print onto normal paper and see if the shape still fit. Rinse and repeat until you get all your stripes the right shape and size.

You might try one of the simulation websites like AVSIM.com They have textures for various sim aircraft like a C-54. You can open the file in Blender or other type files. The art work is done already, just need to cut and paste and resize to get what you need. They have a Blue Angels C-54 by the way. It's free, just have to register.

BTW send you a PM on Blue Angels C-130 decals and Siga Fury kit.