Fw 190A-3, 8./JG 2, "Black 11"

Finally finished this one up, a challenging build at times, some problems self induced, some with the kit. I didn't go into this one expecting Tamigawa fit, but for the most part things went together pretty well. The wing roots were a problem, I wasn't real keen on the way the wings mated to the fuselage, the forward part of the lower wing serves as half of the lower cowl assembly necessitating filling and sanding to achieve a smooth panel. Why not just make the lower cowl part of the fuselage or part of the lower wing rather than splitting it up between the two? The cowl assembly was just a little fiddly too, but nothing real serious. Overall the level of detail is good for (what I assume to be) low pressure injection molding. After seeing the finesse of some Sword's newer 1/72 offerings (rivet detail, etc.)this kind of pales in comparison though, I guess we'll see what the future holds for newer PCM releases. The Cartograf decals are beautiful and went on great, and lots of great options on the sheet. Not too much in the way of add-ons. I did use some Hasegawa flaps from the spares box and brass MG/Cannons from Master Model, RB, and 88 Thumbs Productions (scratch-built). Paint is Mr. Color.

Final verdict, builds up nicely with some work and a nice addition to the collection. Would I do another one? Maybe, I still hold out hope the Tamiya will bless us with a 1/32 Luftwaffe offering eventually and the A-3 has been a staple of their 1/72 and 1/48 lines for many years, so you never know. I would like to do the A-1 at some point too.

Thanks for looking, cheers!

Mike

Fw190A3_black11_1.JPG

Fw190A3_black11_2.JPG

Fw190A3_black11_3.JPG

Fw190A3_black11_4.JPG

Fw190A3_black11_5.JPG

Fw190A3_black11_7.JPG

Fw190A3_black11_6.JPG

Well, if you had issues with the kit you obviously managed to deal with them effectively. Beautiful finish Mike. :worship:

For me, the -A is the Fw 190. I'm sure the Dora was a better weapons platform but aesthetically the -A looks much better proportioned. :wub:

I'm unlikely to ever build an Fw 190 (unless Tamiya actually release a 1/32nd scale kit along the lines of their Zero, Spits and new Mustang) but that does n't stop me enjoying builds like this.

Top drawer, thanks for sharing your model.

:cheers:

Mike

Fw190A3_black11_5.JPG

Fw190A3_black11_7.JPG

Fw190A3_black11_6.JPG......... :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

Mike

This is an EXCEPTIONALLY STUNNING build albeit that you had glitches and problems.

It is one of the NICEST builds I have seen...SHE IS HELLUVA BEAUTY. :wub: :wub:

Your photos are SUPERB too and these THREE simply stand out for ME.

They look so REAL and very much like the REAL AIRCRAFT...

OUTSTANDING work .

KUDOS. :worship::worship::worship::worship:

Edited by HOLMES