Revell 1/48 F-15E --> F-15K --> What-If

Thanks Gonzalo. I initially wanted to build the 'out of factory' F-15K. I had a few ideas I wanted to implement (subtle weathering, detail painting etc.). In the middle of the build I got frustrated with the endless masking and painting, so lost my mojo. Just turned it into a what if at the end.

Thanks Gonzalo. I initially wanted to build the 'out of factory' F-15K. I had a few ideas I wanted to implement (subtle weathering, detail painting etc.). In the middle of the build I got frustrated with the endless masking and painting, so lost my mojo. Just turned it into a what if at the end.

Really superb build!

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Rain. I used Alclad (with Future as primer) followed by water colors for the wash. I used the same technique I used in a previous build:

http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=201620&view=findpost&p=1904235

In this model, I followed the same steps, except I did not do post shading (as I wanted to finish this quickly).

• 2 weeks later...

wow!! great job. i love the factory paint scheme. i saw an f-18c, i believe on this forum, i can't remember, anyway i digress. I always thought it would be really fun to do an aircraft in that scheme. your's looks so awesome, now i have the bug to do one myself. thanks for the inspiration. :thumbsup:

Edited by .linus

Thank you everybody, I really appreciate your comments. Aaron, your input was very helpful when I was first researching the differences between the E and the K model somewhere here on ARC. I too felt a little bad switching to the USAF whatif at the end.

Honza, I also want to say that you have been a great idol for me. I still study your builds in detail to figure out your techniques (that's why I ask a lot of questions). Hope all is well.

Burak,

Most awesome sir! :worship: Your skills have advanced very much since we competed!! I am glad that I dont finish anything anymore, you would clean my clock :hangingsmiley: !!

Great idea, great execution and AWESOME BUILD SIR!!!!!!! Well done my friend!

:smiley-whacky084:

Jack

Edited by Bugfan
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Together with my other eagles:

IMG_5096.JPG

Here is my flimsy photobooth. Whatever I do I cannot get the excellent pics I see others post here. I may need a new camera (I am using a Canon A620), more lights, or better backdrops:

IMG_5061.JPG

This is great! Is it supposed to resemble the paint-less 'Streak Eagle'?

• 8 years later...

Hello Janissary, I posted about wanting to paint up an F-15QA flying in a similar primer scheme earlier today.  Do you happen to recall what colors you used for the green and jade panels, and the rudders?  FS36118 on the rudders?  What's the jade color on your refueling door?  The QA also has a gray radome and CFTs, and I'm trying to figure out what FS colors those might be.  Thanks for any info you might have!

1604041802_F-15QAvikingtakeoff2.jpg.8fa76f7364451626f1eedf5fc9aef4c7.jpg

Edited by Gox Blowby
add image
23 minutes ago, Gox Blowby said:

Hello Janissary, I posted about wanting to paint up an F-15QA flying in a similar primer scheme earlier today.  Do you happen to recall what colors you used for the green and jade panels, and the rudders?  FS36118 on the rudders?  What's the jade color on your refueling door?  The QA also has a gray radome and CFTs, and I'm trying to figure out what FS colors those might be.  Thanks for any info you might have!

1604041802_F-15QAvikingtakeoff2.jpg.8fa76f7364451626f1eedf5fc9aef4c7.jpg

Sure. It's been a while so I don't remember all the colors. But I dg around a little bit. Here is what I found. The darkest green (e.g., top surfaces of the wings) is most likely Hobby Aqueous H309. The lighter green (e.g., elevators) is most likely Hobby Aqueous H303 (or may be H302). I am very sure that these greens are Hobby Aqueous and I did not mix any colors for these. There are other greens in smaller sections. Those are mostly in-the-moment mixes of Tamiya and Hobby Aqueous colors (they mix well together). 

The bluish green on the top of the wings is a mix of Tamiya XF-24, white, and I think Hobby Aqueous green (don't know which one). Looking back, that should have been a little lighter.

The jade green for the refueling door: Mix of gloss white, clear blue, clear green all from Tamiya. But again it was just a small section so I mixed it in the airbrush in the moment. I couldn't give you exact mixes.

Rudder: Tamiya XF-51. It says khaki drab, but is more of a brownish color.  

Many other sections are just random mixes of different colors. 

Looking at the QA pics, I would use H308 for the CFT (light ghost gray). For the Radom, I would use FS 36270 (just eye balling here) or a 1:1 mix of light ghost gray and FS 36231. 

2 minutes ago, Rocketdrvr said:

Really, really impressive build!  Would love to know where you got the source material from on the colours of the primer.

Thank you. When I was building that, I was searching for "F-15K roll out primer colors zinc chromate Boeing" and terms of that nature. I had quite a few hits back then.