Revell 1/48 F-15E --> F-15K --> What-If

Matthew83128, I'm planning to attempt a similar scheme based on F-15QA first flight images recently published.  Do you know anything about the dark green shades - is it a primer, bare composite finish, or what?  The yellow is presumably a zinc chromate type primer, but my google searches haven't shed any light on what the various colors and tones actually are.  

25 minutes ago, Gox Blowby said:

Matthew83128, I'm planning to attempt a similar scheme based on F-15QA first flight images recently published.  Do you know anything about the dark green shades - is it a primer, bare composite finish, or what?  The yellow is presumably a zinc chromate type primer, but my google searches haven't shed any light on what the various colors and tones actually are.  

I’m sorry I don’t work on that program so I really can’t say. I know as a past 15 maintainer for a short time that horizontal stabs are composite, in this photo they look really dark. 

https://en.topwar.ru/170241-pervyj-istrebitel-f-15qa-dlja-vvs-katara-vpervye-vzletel-v-ssha.html

I’d imagine all that dark green is a primer for composite areas, because you also see it over the top of the engines. The newer F-15’s might have a lot more composites (like the wing area) to save weight.

I have got to fly in the simulator for these, holy s&!t it was amazing, nothing like the old C-models I worked on.

Matthew83128, the image you linked is the exact one that inspired me, then Janissary pointed me to his excellent work here.  I’m assuming that whatever Strike Eagle variant that the 20-year old Monogram/Revell 1/48 kit depicts (which is conveniently in my stash) has flown in a similar green/yellow primer configuration at some point.  I’m going to attempt my first open canopy, add photoetch cockpit details, and try some plastic surgery to put the inlet cowls in the down position.  Should keep me off the streets for a few months...

• 4 months later...