HMCS Bonaventure

Curious as to what options if any there are for modelling the Bonnie? Is there a model of a Majestic class CVL that could be modified? Scale isn't especially important, though /ideal/ would be 1:350 or 1:700, I think...

The Heller kit can really be turned into any of the Canadian postwar carriers, Warrior, Maggie or Bonnie. I got as far as doing the angled deck for Bonnie (quite easy actually) but those dang sponsons defied me. There are 4, two fore and two aft, port and starboard, so you can't make one and cast it for the rest. Each one is different from the rest. Ugh!

I think White Metal models out of the UK did Trackers in 1/400.

Heller really should release the Arromanche kit as a series of carriers, as that basic hull provided many of the worlds' navies with carriers, from Brazil, Argentina, the UK, Australia, and India, to Holland and Canada. A few resin or newly tooled plastic parts in each kit to make it the "Vikram" or the "Bonnie" or whatever, and Heller would likely sell a few that way.

Alvis 3.1

1/400 seems to be a pretty odd scale for ships... but if that's what's available, that's what's available! Though I'd kinda prefer something in a more usual scale, as long term I'll probably want to build a few other RCN ships (and maybe even an RN, RAN and RNZN ship, too)... tl;dr I'd like as standard a scale as possible.

I there's kitbashing needed to build the Bonnie anyways... isn't there another carrier kit that could serve as a basis? I don't know much at all about ships, but I can't see one carrier hull being all THAT different from the next?

The Heller Arromanche is pretty much the best bet for converstion to any of the Canadian carriers. Ships have a lot of strange scales because they're 'box scale' really... meaning, in most cases, they scale the kit to fit in a box. That and manufactures seem to want to define their own standard scale for ships. So you get a few oddly scaled kits from time to time.

If you're anywhere near Langley BC, go into C&C Hobbies down town Langley. They have a Bonnie that someone built from the Heller kit (although the owner will try to tell you it was scratch built).

Just discovered that L'Arsenal has a 1/700 scale Arromanches... can anyone comment on the kit? Is it worth the €100?

I just picked up a 1/700 Gato-class sub to do HMCS Grilse with (impulse buy, but at $9 it's no issue...), so that tips my desire towards that scale if possible - space concerns do so, too, but... I've also found kits for Tribal class and Halifax class ships in 1/700...

Just discovered that L'Arsenal has a 1/700 scale Arromanches... can anyone comment on the kit? Is it worth the €100?

I just picked up a 1/700 Gato-class sub to do HMCS Grilse with (impulse buy, but at $9 it's no issue...), so that tips my desire towards that scale if possible - space concerns do so, too, but... I've also found kits for Tribal class and Halifax class ships in 1/700...

Where did you find a CPF kit in 1:700??? I'm only aware of the 1:350 resin kit (which I have but yet to build). I'm also going to assume that the Tribal is a 280 class? Not the old WWII Trible?

Where did you find a CPF kit in 1:700??? I'm only aware of the 1:350 resin kit (which I have but yet to build). I'm also going to assume that the Tribal is a 280 class? Not the old WWII Trible?

http://www.resinshipyard.com/pages/catalog.html

The 1/700 Halifax is on there - #C-7001.

The Tribal is the WW2 one - Trumpeter I think it is? HMCS Huron.