Weird-Oh's Goose

Hello all,

There have been four movies that really made an impression on me when I was younger. For me these movies all changed the way I judged other movies in those genres. The first was The Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger. This was my first stop motion movie. Then came Star Wars, I was hooked from the opening scene. Indiana Jones was pretty much my favorite for action and adventure. Then late one night I happened on a movie called Mad Max. Apocalyptic wastelands of the future would never be the same.

There was a character in the movie that was called Jim Goose, he was a cop that rode a motorcycle.

http://www.madmaxmovies.com/mad-max/mad-max-cars/goose-kawasaki-z1000/index.html

I recently picked up a Davey the way out cyclist, Weird-Oh’s kit:

Box.jpg

As usual with the Weird-Oh’s kits, what you actually get doesn’t look as cool as the box top painting. Sooo, I decided to make it into a Weird-Oh’s Goose kit.

I started by chopping the head off the kit. After that I chopped the top of the hat off so that I could sculpt a helmet:

Goose7700.jpg

The mouth has very little detail, just a couple of top teeth. You can see inside the head because it is just a big open space. I added some teeth to the bottom and closed in the open area with some sheet styrene. I used some Bondo to make some texture inside the mouth. I made a monster Uvula so that there would be something to fill in the space:

Goose7760.jpg

While that was drying I started on the motorcycle. I had to make this:

Bike7732.jpg

Into a representation of a KZ1000. I started by chopping away everything that did not look like a KZ:

Bike7736.jpg

Then I started adding parts from my spare parts bin. Keep in mind that it is a Weird-oh’s kit and doesn’t have to look exactly the part:

Bike7754.jpg

Bike7752.jpg

This is the rear fairing roughed out of sheet styrene:

Bike7745.jpg

So far this was all pretty easy. I am not looking forward to making the 2 large clear pieces for the kit. The helmet visor and the fairing windscreen.

Thanks for looking, let me know what you think.

Els

I worked on it a little today.

The head is back on the body. It was placed at an angle because I am going to have him leaning into a curve at a ridiculously high speed. Some aluminum foil was used to fill in the space on his head to save on Aves:

Goose7766.jpg

The first layer of Aves applied for the helmet:

Goose7790.jpg

While that is curing, it’s back to the bike. The tail piece is just about there:

Bike7770.jpg

The tail piece added and a new tank for the bike. It’s starting to look a little more like a KZ:

Bike7783.jpg

Els

Hello all,

It’s been a while since I posted on this.

I made some progress with Goose’s jacket and helmet. I ground away all the old pockets, etc from the jacket and re-sculpted the collars. I also cut the legs and bent the knees so that he would be able to put his feet on the rear sets:

100_7828.jpg

100_7824.jpg

I did some more work on the bike. The kit comes with one exhaust. The KZ has two, so I cut the kit exhaust in half. For the second exhaust I used some coat hanger wire for the pipe:

100_7833.jpg

100_7832.jpg

The fairing was first roughed out of card stock, I like to use for sale signs because it’s a lot of styrene for a little money:

Bike7793.jpg

Bike7797.jpg

Then I put a few layers of Aves and Bondo to fill it out: I will use my Dremel and files to final shape it. It is probably not the easiest/best way to do this, but it is the only way I know how to do it:

100_7837.jpg

I also went to the local arts and craft store today to buy some stuff to start making the base:

100_7842.jpg

Els

Hi Els

Nice work so far, and great idea! This is inspiring me to get back to the "Freddy Flameout" (Weird-oh's jet pilot) conversion/modification project I was planning on doing.

My plan for this is similar to yours; cutting, scratchbuilding, and lots of Apoxie sculpt.

For the visor/ windscreen parts I cut the tops off some round-ish soda/ drink bottles, and saved some spherical shaped clear packaging in case the compound curve of the bottles wasn't enough to get to where I was going.

Looking at pic's of the Jim Goose helmet visor & bike windscreen, I can see why these could be difficult to reproduce:

goose.jpg

If you hadn't thought of it already yourself, maybe the ideas above might help.

I'm sure your final result will do the 'Odd Rods', 'Kartoons' style justice...can't wait to see more!

:cheers: Rob

Edited by Rraab

This is an absorbing project, partly because it's 'different', and partly because you have an original concept (as opposed to a prescriptive 'real-world' subject) and clearly know how to achieve it. I'm also surprised that it has not drawn more comment, but I'll certainly be keeping up! :thumbsup: (And it is bloody years since I've seen the movie!)

Edited by ChippyWho

Thanks guys,I appreciate the encouragement.

Rraab, I have been using that same picture for reference. I did start on the visor today. Your idea with using soda bottle plastic might just be what I needed for the motorcycle windscreen. I have been having a hard time finding something to use for that. Hopefully you will post pictures of Freddy. I have been wanting to build that kit myself.

I was able to sneak in an hour or so to work on this today.

Here is the front fairing after the first round of sanding. I will have to put more putty and shape it up a bit more but it is starting to come around:

Bike7857.jpg

Since it is only September and the stores are already putting Christmas stuff out, I picked up a clear tree ornament to use for the helmet visor. I used my Dremel and ground one side down until it fit:

Goose7846.jpg

Here it is temporarily taped to the helmet to see what it looks like:

Goose7851.jpg

Goose7853.jpg

The base was also started. I cut the wood to make a box and filled it with Styrofoam:

Base7844.jpg

It will be stained tomorrow and then terrain/road will be added.

Els

Thanks Holmes,

I haven't had a lot of time to work on this lately. The base is about 85% done now.

Base7891.jpg

Just needs a few washes and a sign. I am not sure how I am going to mount the figure yet. The kit wheels are pretty narrow and will not offer much support.

Els

Thanks Holmes,

I haven't had a lot of time to work on this lately. The base is about 85% done now.

Base7891.jpg

Just needs a few washes and a sign. I am not sure how I am going to mount the figure yet. The kit wheels are pretty narrow and will not offer much support.

Els

Els the base looks good ...What about mounting it on its rear wheel as of doing a wheelie.. :thumbsup:

Thanks everybody.

I am thinking about having wheelieing through the turn. I was going to add some epoxie smoke to the rear wheel because it is so thin, but I think I will just run a pin up through the bottom of the bike.

Shawn M, you should get one. They are cheap and easy to build straight out of the box or modify. Let your imagination take a walk on the wild side and go for it.

I had a little time today to get a bit done.

The front fairing/forks were epoxied to the body of the motorcycle. It still needs more smoothing but it is getting pretty close:

100_7917.jpg

It is time to start the clear parts for the fairing. The first one that I made was the front head light. I bought a package of wood doodads at the local arts and crafts store that looked about the right size. Then some plastic (blister from son’s Hotwheels) was heated over the stove. After it was heated, the wood part was pressed into it:

100_7895.jpg

After trimming, I have a headlight cover, I hope…

100_7901.jpg

I also started painting Goose. I looked for goose eyes in the internet and found some that were blue, so that is what I am going with. This is only the first few layers. He will eventually be more monsterly.

100_7922.jpg

Els

Thanks everybody.

I have been busy lately and have not had a lot of time for this.

I was able to get some work done on the bike last night.

After a search of the net, I found enough material to make up a decal sheet for the bike.

Bike7980.jpg

I painted the bike and added the decals. I made the goose patch and badge decals larger than on the real bike because it is a Wierd-oh.

Bike7988.jpg

Bike7987.jpg

I finished painting Goose but I didn't take any pictures. Trying to get his visor mounted to the helmet was a pain in the...

Thanks for looking, let me know what you think

Els

Thanks everybody.

II painted the bike and added the decals. I made the goose patch and badge decals larger than on the real bike because it is a Wierd-oh.

Bike7988.jpg

Bike7987.jpg

I finished painting Goose but I didn't take any pictures. Trying to get his visor mounted to the helmet was a pain in the...

Thanks for looking, let me know what you think

Els

Els...

FANTASTIC work....

GORGEOUS... :wub:

Thanks Holmes. I have added the windscreen, front light, siren, and orange and blue lights to the motorcycle. I will just wait for the final pics to show those. I am really having a hard time trying to figure out a way to mount it to the base. The figure is pretty heavy with all the added epoxy and there is no way to run a pin through the motorcyle to the figure.

I am just about finished with Goose. I just need to add some hair.

Goose7992.jpg

Goose7999.jpg

Goose8002.jpg

Because of his pose, it is hard to get good pictures of him.

Thanks for looking.

Els

I am having a hard time mounting this to the base. The motorcycle is fragile and the figure is very top heavy due to all the putty used to modify it. There is no way to run a pin throught the motorcycle into the figure. I have decided to try and stabilize/strengthen the motorcycle by adding epoxy smoke to the bottom. Hopefully this will give it enough strength to be able to run a screw through it into the base.

100_8009.jpg

Els

It's done.

I went from this:

Box-1.jpg

To this:

100_8017.jpg

100_8028.jpg

100_8031.jpg

100_8036.jpg

100_8038.jpg

I am happy with everything except the name plate. I wanted something cartoonish, but I think this is a little to much. Maybe later it will get changed if I find something I like better.

Els

I had to get rid of that name plate. Everytime that I looked at it I heard clown music. I took a picture of Goose from the movie blasting down the highway and made it semi transparent with Power Point. Then put he words back over that.

I'm still not 100% happy with it, but I like it better. Here is Goose 2.0:

CompleteV28045.jpg

Els

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! This kind of project would have taken me......months! Really great job capturing the 'cartoon' aspect, while staying true to the Mad Max bike & scenery.

Inspiring, and I might 'steal' your idea for the (apoxie sculpt) smoke for my Freddy Flameout build. I also liked your use of the Christmas ornament for the helmet visor - it is amazing what you can find in a craft store when you go in looking for certain shapes/ textures...saves a lot of time vac-forming & casting, anyway!

Thanks for showing what you did to convert a mediocre kit into "modelling art"...

:thumbsup: -Rob