Mirage Hobby 200mm U.S Officer Ohama beach.

This one is recently finished, but will post some info and shots to get the forum rolling :)

Made a start on the Beach base that comes with this kit, the instructions mentioned putting the anti tank defence (ATD) in warm water to straighten them out, but looking at them I liked the distorted look, so have built it accordingly, the base has been painted several shades of buff / sand with a bit of MIG light dust added then sealed, I am awaiting some of the Vallejo sand texture to possibly add an overlay, the ATD has been painted black, then overpainted in Mig standard rust as a base with Mig light dust pigment stippled into it whilst wet to make the textured metal effect, added over this is some light Mig rust, and some soot black and red pigments, couple of washes is Vallejo black and some orange to pick up seams etc and it is as today, pondering adding a minute bit of metallic grey pigment over the top to it, to give it a more steel look, but will sleep on it....... each coat was sealed with my favourite rattle can of Humbrol Matt varnish...... I do love painting rust, but I am rabbiting on, so to the pictures...

beach.jpg

beach2.jpg

WIP on figure

head.jpg

update1.jpg

update2.jpg

Finished item :)

OmahaBeach2.jpg

USOfficerDDayS.jpg

OmahaBeach.jpg

OmahaBeach1.jpg

Edited by TonyT

That's a great rusting job. You might want to add some seaweed, some algae/green grime effects and some gloss/wet effects--remember, those beach obstacles were underwater at high tide, so they would've collected a fair amount of marine growth to go along with the rust. And don't forget, the weather leading up to and on D-day was wet, rainy, and stormy, so those beach obstacles would've been pretty wet when the men came ashore too.

Curtis

• 3 weeks later...