Vermont ANG P-51H

I stumbled across this pic of a Vermont ANG P-51H. I knew the Green Mountain Boys operated these at one point, but this is the first time I had seen a pic. Unfortunately the tail is cut off. I think I see yellow on the spinner, which I assume (if it is actually there) would be repeated on the vertical fin cap similar to the red on the Mass.ANG plane behind it, and as was on their F-47Ds before they got Mustangs.

I don't suppose anyone can shed more light on these markings?

• 4 years later...

I'd like to revive this thread, as I've been doing research on the Vermont ANG. Must be my middle-aged nostalgia for my birth state.

I've found 3 photos so far of Vermont ANG Mustangs, and the one linked is the only b/w one I've found so far.

Also, anyone ever seen any photos of the P-47's they flew before the Mustangs?

Edited by Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy

Here's what I've got; first, the same photo linked above. 

The second has no painted tail tip, but there are any number of explanations for that.

The third one was claimed to be Vermont ANG, although admittedly I can't tell for sure.

b_F-51H_134thFS_1.jpg

b_F-51H_44-64496_Summer53.jpg

b_F-51H_Summer%201953.jpg

• 2 months later...

I recently acquired a 30th anniversary booklet of the Vermont ANG (pub. 1976), yearbook-style. Was surprised that there was only one photo involving one of their P-51H's, but here it is.

Also, Lance, you mentioned their P-47's; this booklet has the only images I've ever seen of their Thunderbolts, but none are as clear as I'd want. Does anyone have anything on the Vermont Jugs?

PH30a.jpg

• 4 months later...

Well, so far I've had zero luck with tracking down anyone for assistance on the 134th; was surprised the Vermont ANG Library and Museum is really only a sort of general military aviation library and has very, very little specifically on the unit it's named for. The active unit itself doesn't have anything going back very far either. Can't get any other sort of answer anywhere else. 

However, I managed to scrape together enough evidence that I *think* this is a mostly accurate rendition of one of their P-51H's (apparently they only flew a handful of these, mostly D's). Just finished it today, the RS 1/72 kit:

DSC01531.jpgDSC01532.jpgDSC01533.jpgDSC01534.jpg

On 6/6/2016 at 10:10 PM, Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy said:

...great photos but I'm not on FB or Flickr...wonder what I'm doing in this century LOL....hate to join just to contact one person, although it may come to that....

You don't need to join Flikr to see the pics, just click on the link provided. The guy doesn't seem to have his page sorted into albums or anything like that so you've got to sort through 63 pages of stuff to see what he might have.

2 hours ago, dekon70 said:

I've been wanting to do the RIANG, but there is just about nothing on the web on their aircraft; it least you are finding some pictures of VTANG aircraft.

Well, a lot of what I found wasn't on the net. I lucked out on Ebay with a book published by the unit for their 30th anniversary; really like a yearbook in style, it contained all sorts of pics including the best, clearest photos of their F-94's I'd ever seen. Actually the only ones I'd found. Also has pics of their P-47's, just not clear enough to plan a build.

Tried contacting the unit directly; they're sorry, they don't have any archives going back at all. There is also a VT ANG library and museum....with almost nothing at all on the unit itself!!!! They apologized, they really just have general info on military aviation. :soapbox: