Hi again. My understanding is that the kit pit is too shallow (flankerman talks about this) and others state that Wolfpack copied this (probably to ease fitting into the regular su-27).

I have been looking at the short fuselage thing, and reckon I will probably give it a go. I'm interested in how you are tackling the underside, the plans I am using (I think the same as yours) seem to show the gear well scales out ok, my thought would be to cut at the same place as the top of the fuselage which gives a nice simply cut and then the wheel bay is untouched. Is there something I have missed?

Cheers

Ian

Berkut, nice to have you on board! Brilliant work on your Su-24 by the way!

Ian, thanks for that. I haven't compared the tubs yet but will try too asap and post my observations. About the extension , are you working on an Su-33 also? I'll post some images of the underside soon, but if you extend the upper fuselage you will also need to extend the lower fuselage part as it will leave a gap by the windmark nose section. The landing gear at the front is definately undersized and needs to be longer, also the gear itself needs to be much bigger than the metal landing gear provided in the kit.

Be careful using scale drawings as these can also often be incorrect as folks have pointed out to me. :)

Edited by Jon Fitzgerald

Ahh thank you I see the close ups now and the lines.

Yes it's true that when you adjust the length of the fuselage that the top airbrake position moves. Often if a kt is made in the wrong dimensions, when you correct one error then another presents itself and has to be changed also.

There are other areas I am working on also at the moment, like a replacement cover for the gun to fix that problem also.

:)

Ahh thank you I see the close ups now and the lines.

Yes it's true that when you adjust the length of the fuselage that the top airbrake position moves. Often if a kt is made in the wrong dimensions, when you correct one error then another presents itself and has to be changed also.

There are other areas I am working on also at the moment, like a replacement cover for the gun to fix that problem also.

:)

Absolutely truly.

If it is fair, I am not so assured, that it was necessary to do this insert.

Thanks Nazar, to be honest maybe not. :) For sure you can build a great model as it is from the box.

Personally though when compared to photos and AiV drawings I think that it helps for accuracy to extend the fuselage.

Of course it's always down to personal preference :D

No worries, I hope you enjoy the build and that you can place your order for the IRST set as soon as possible. I know how frustrating it can be when a webstore doesn't work. I gave up with my attempt to order from HpH models for example.

Be sure to post a blog of your own work with the canopy set on whichever flanker you choose to use it on. ;)

Thanks Nazar, to be honest maybe not. :) For sure you can build a great model as it is from the box.

Personally though when compared to photos and AiV drawings I think that it helps for accuracy to extend the fuselage.

Of course it's always down to personal preference :D

I do not know, I do not know. I have collected a lot of information on this plane, in 1990-1996 years lived there where it passed tests and service, then often happened on flights in Severomorsk.

The conversion set certainly allows to make the plane similar to Su-33, but unfortunately, doesn't correct all discrepancies of model.

It is one of my favourite planes but while construction of its model, isn't included into my nearest plans.

Nazar, if you have any information on the plane please do share it. I'd be very interested to know. Also it would be helpful to hear your thoughts on the discrepancies of the model that you mention.

I'm no expert on the Su-33 and I try to learn new things whenever I can. If you notice any mistakes in construction or conversions please do share. It's always good to have feedback :)

I have collected a lot of information on this plane, in 1990-1996 years lived there where it passed tests and service, then often happened on flights in Severomorsk.

Nazar,

Do you know the full-size dimensions of the Sorbitsya pod fitted to the Su-33?? (and others)....

sorbtsya_02.jpg

All I need is diameter and overall length.

I'm going to scratchbuild a couple for my 1/72 scale Hasegawa Su-33.

Thanks

Ken

Nazar,

Do you know the full-size dimensions of the Sorbitsya pod fitted to the Su-33?? (and others)....

All I need is diameter and overall length.

I'm going to scratchbuild a couple for my 1/72 scale Hasegawa Su-33.

Thanks

Ken

Ken hi.

Sizes that I shot, I do not, but once I removed them my friend (I wanted to do it yourself), we measured the station L-005, were obtained following sizes:

Total length 3750mm

Diameter 294mm

Hi everyone, well it's been sometime coming, but here is my first ARC build!

At first I thought that the Wolfpack extras were fantastic and I decided to go this route. However after having seen the two companies parts side by side and after discussion here on ARC and with my friend Tanel from Turbine Models, I don't think I would buy the wolfpack boxing again. In hindsight I would try to get the original Windmark set. Wolfpacks extras are okay but not ideal. The detail and quality of their suggested replacement parts compared to Windmarks originals is much less, and the extras such as the cockpit, ejection seat, Resin wheels, and Sorbtsiya pods are not perfect and quite crude.

For example The Sorbtsiya pods have issues and are not totally correct, the Resin wheels are just resin copies of Academys original wheels (I will probably bite the bullet and go for Equipage wheels), and the cockpit while fine for some maybe was a little to crude for me. So I replaced it with the excellent Aires set. Also Wolfpack like Windmark forget to give you any resin engine nozzles, which are sorely missed. Again Aires came to the rescue here.

I will follow your build with interest. As soon as I finish my HPH T-50 (when...) I will start my Su-33 and couple more Flankers.

Tell me about Wolfpack Sorbtsiya pods, whats wrong with them? And which Flanker version used L-004 and which L-005?! I saw only "skinny" Sorbtsiya on Flankers. And I bought both sets....

Cheers,

Petar

Edited by Petarvu

Hi Petar

About the pods, I heard from friends that its the length that's wrong. This is something that can be fixed easily enough though if you really want to.

As for the measurements Ken I was told that the pods should be 4200 mm length and 300 mm diameter. Similar to Nazars measurements but a little different. Perhaps though Nazars measurements are more correct or maybe the measurements are the difference between L004 and L005? I'm not sure.

Nazar what do you think?

Edited by Jon Fitzgerald

Petar I've done a little research and it seems that the L-005 is the correct pod for the Su-33. This is the version that Wolfpack packed in their conversion set also.

From what I can see the L-004 is used on the Su-34 and Su-27. See images on this post on a Russian Forum http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1066359&postcount=2695 I could be wrong of course as my Russian is not so great with technical terms. :D

Petar I've done a little research and it seems that the L-005 is the correct pod for the Su-33. This is the version that Wolfpack packed in their conversion set also.

From what I can see the L-004 is used on the Su-34 and Su-27. See images on this post on a Russian Forum http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1066359&postcount=2695 I could be wrong of course as my Russian is not so great with technical terms. :D

Thanks, I checked the link. It seems L-005 is for Su-27 family, including Su-33. Also on all photos I have, flankers are with this pod - 005. To add to confusion there are bigger and little different wingtip containers L-175 Chibina and L-265 Chibina-m used on Su-34. Nothing on L-004 . I wish Windmark does Su-34 1/48 conversion ...:-)

P

Hi Petar

About the pods, I heard from friends that its the length that's wrong. This is something that can be fixed easily enough though if you really want to.

As for the measurements Ken I was told that the pods should be 4200 mm length and 300 mm diameter. Similar to Nazars measurements but a little different. Perhaps though Nazars measurements are more correct or maybe the measurements are the difference between L004 and L005? I'm not sure.

Nazar what do you think?

I think the difference in length can be between the L-004 L-005, may measure other pod. Ken the difference in diameter is small and could be caused by measure way. I think so.