Question for people who do commission builds:

Hello Everyone. I have a question regarding how much you generally charge when asked to do a commission build? Do you have them pay up front, or after the build is completed? I was thinking of having them pay for the kit and AM stuff up front and then pay for the labor after the kit was sent to them. Is that the PC thing to do or is there a better way? Also, I have no idea what type of amount to charge them, so what does everyone else do? Thanks for all your help!

Best!

Brandon

Hello Everyone. I have a question regarding how much you generally charge when asked to do a commission build? Do you have them pay up front, or after the build is completed? I was thinking of having them pay for the kit and AM stuff up front and then pay for the labor after the kit was sent to them. Is that the PC thing to do or is there a better way? Also, I have no idea what type of amount to charge them, so what does everyone else do? Thanks for all your help!

Best!

Brandon

The hourly rate of your labor times the hours it takes to build.

Depends, I never charge enough thats all I know for sure.

If its a serving vet or family to rep something of the vets past, don't charge much.

If its a friend, don't charge too much.

Someone from work, don't charge too much.

Really the last few, they pay for the model and most of the supplies needed to build, and add a couple bucks. Good thing I have a day job on top.

The hourly rate of your labor times the hours it takes to build.

provided your hourly rate is less than about a dollar. Most people won't be willing to pay the a reasonable hourly rate x the hours needed to build the model.

Let's say $15/hour x 30 hours (that's a quick build IMO)= $450 And then you still haven't figured into it any supplies, paint, or even the kit and/or aftermarket. A blanket $/hr doesn't work in our hobby unfortunately.

The way I look at it, your getting paid to do something you'd be doing anyway, except you don't get to enjoy the kit on your shelves afterward.

Edited by blunce

Depends, I never charge enough thats all I know for sure.

If its a serving vet or family to rep something of the vets past, don't charge much.

If its a friend, don't charge too much.

Someone from work, don't charge too much.

Really the last few, they pay for the model and most of the supplies needed to build, and add a couple bucks. Good thing I have a day job on top.

I agree. I've only done a few and I felt that if I really billed them a good hourly rate for all of my time, they would go into sticker shock. I've only done these for a couple of vets and I pretty much just covered my materials and enough extra to buy a six pack of decent beer.

If I did this for a living, I would be starving!

Yep I've done a couple for a friend and it usually panned out to be he bought the kit and any aftermarket stuff. I usually used my supplies or if I needed a paint or something I ran out and got it. Then usually upon completion I'm given a little bit of money or taken golfing or dinner or something. I generally prefer to build the models and don't want them hanging around the house afterwards so it's perfect if someone wants me to build something for them.

lol

oh yeah, I figure a price for my time, plus the kit / aftermarket/ shipping/ and shipping supplies (good foam is expensive $35+), and request half up front, the other half is due once I send the client completed photos and before shipping. Once payment is cleared the model is on it's way.

As mentioned this is a difficult Hobby to put a price tag on.

Most People outside of the hobby have no clue of what it takes to build one of these.

A few Club members have done some commissions, they normally get between $300 and on rare occasions up to $600.

The buyer naturally supplies the kits paints and anything else they want included. Don't take the material cost away from your labor cost (feeling your overcharging) as this is the same as paying out of your pocket.

There were a couple of Brothers building for sale in San Diego back in the late 80's, they built very clean, out of the box kits and priced them like this (best I can remember)

$125.00 single engine prop

$200 single engine jet

$275-350 Twin engine jets

Curt

People always ask me how much I charge per hour to do decal artwork. If I charged what a professional graphic artist would charge to do similar work, a decal sheet for a 1/48 fighter would probably have to retail for around $2000-$2500 (each). :)

I have never done a commission build and I am curious about 'how it feels'. At the risk of digressing from the point, I would like to ask if you find yourselves enjoying the build less (or more) and if so in what ways? I always thought if you are not mentally excited about the subject, or don't care about the era etc., it would be less fun, or you might start cutting corners you would otherwise not (pure speculation on my part). I an see similar displeasure if working against a deadline.

I've done a handful of commissioned builds for collectors, and this is my process and how I charged them.

1 Add the cost for the kit, resin, decals and any other aftermarket sets. Always use MSRP, don't use ARC forum prices or ebay prices. Multiple the sum by 4.

2 Do not add the cost of paints, putty and glue into the total. IMHO these are "supplies" and should be part of your overhead.

3 First you buy all that material mentioned in #1 out of your pocket. When you're ready to start the project, take 50% deposit from the customer.

4 Throughout the build, take WIP pics and send them to the customer.

5 Customer pays the balance when he picks up the finished model. Assuming he's local, provide all necessary boxes and cushioning so he can take it home safely.

Depending on the customer, you can leave some room for price negotiation. No more than 10% discount should be fair.

HTH

Terry

Edited by loftycomfort

3 First you buy all that material mentioned in #1 out of your pocket. When you're ready to start the project, take 50% deposit from the customer.

and what do you do when your client decides to back out of the deal after you've purchased all the goods with your own money? Money first, kits and parts second in my book. They back out then, you got yourself a free kit.

and what do you do when your client decides to back out of the deal after you've purchased all the goods with your own money? Money first, kits and parts second in my book. They back out then, you got yourself a free kit.

That's a good point, and is probably a prudent move for new customers. My customers are repeat ones so my arrangement works out for them.

Terry

I have done a few. I do 1/72, unless it is WWII, in which case I'll do 1/48. As has been pointed out, most people have NO idea what it takes so are hesitant to pony up. I charge $250 for a basic build with a simple base. Anything complex, like an F-14, complicated camo, or NMF is $50 extra. The build fee is in addition to the kit, any resin, and shipping.

Edited by DutyCat

And one more thing: I'd shy away from building short run or OOP kits. Not only do they make it hard for you to price the total, their availability (or lack thereof) can also be a problem if you need a replacement/missing part. This becomes a business problem when there's a customer on the other end of a build.

Terry

I have never done a commission build and I am curious about 'how it feels'. At the risk of digressing from the point, I would like to ask if you find yourselves enjoying the build less (or more) and if so in what ways? I always thought if you are not mentally excited about the subject, or don't care about the era etc., it would be less fun, or you might start cutting corners you would otherwise not (pure speculation on my part). I an see similar displeasure if working against a deadline.

You hit some very valid points, and these apply to straight everyday modeling, inspiration is the #1 motivation for building, and as you say, if it is a subject not of interest to you, how can you guarantee a nice completed model.

But here's the other side of the coin, you might end up building something you would have never imagined building, and you might find interest just in that, as far as quality, you can always apply your basic skills to anything you build.

Back to commission.

Money or Kits/product up front, including paint!!, paint at todays prices $3+ a color can get pricey quick.

Communication and photo's (I like that idea)

Curt

I haven't either but I have built for friends and family who wanted something. I usually enjoy it less because there is a deadline involved (and I'm a slow, sporadic builder by nature). It's also hard when I feel obligated to spend time on something when I'd rather be working on my own build, or if something goes horribly wrong and sets me back. I don't cut corners but I have to make sure realistic expectations are set since I have a day job, the usual homeowner maintenance and three very active children ages 7 and younger.

That being said, they buy the kit and any aftermarket and I'll usually ask for just enough $ to cover paint and consumables. It's easier to push a deadline around when they aren't paying anything toward labor. The nice part about it is that it's really expanded my skills and diversity - I've built aircraft, cars, motorcycles, armor, sci-fi, helicopters and figures. Era hasn't mattered to me too much since I'm interested in just about everything, but I've politely declined building anything out of my skill level or that would just take me too long.

Wow! What a bunch of great responses everyone! Thanks so much for your input. This would be a build for a veteran of the aircraft he flew. I was thinking of just having him pay for the kit and AM stuff up front and then let him decide how much he wants to pay me for my labor. If it isn't much, at least I had the pleasure of doing something cool for someone who served our country and I am not out anything except my time, which I would have spent modelling anyway. If it was just for someone who wanted a model, I would probably charge more for my time, but in this case I don't have any problem being more relaxed on my earnings. Thanks again everyone!

Best!

Brandon

Aloha all,

Some time ago I built cars, F1 & GT, as a side biz for a little extra pocket cash. They were sold through a store front and most customers were visiting collectors, etc. It was pretty lucrative the price pretty much being set by the shop, $200-$300 for a 43rd scale car & up to $2500 for anything 12th scale, but the enjoyment diminished quickly so I stopped. Looking back I'll echo what many have said here... The majority of people just aren't prepared to drop the cash to cover all that went into their commissioned model. Most people just do realize how much work is actually involved. Realistically a decent 48th scale jet (say F/A-18) with a few aftermarket bells & whistles, at the hourly minimum wage can quickly break the $500 mark. Again we're talking minimum wage, not a skilled labor rate... IMHO, just about everyone here at ARC certainly deserves more than minimum wage when it comes to their level of build quality :thumbsup: That's just the basics stuff as well, think about all the research material & additional research time... Things can get real expensive, real fast! So it's very important your customer has a good idea of the cost straight up, no hidden or surprise charges. If you take money up front, then you have to deliver on time & on budget. Don't follow through & you risk taking a loss or even worse, tarnishing your reputation.

As far as commission builds go these days, I still do a few now & then but I must admit the fun factor isn't always there for me. Now it's a different story when I'm asked to build something for a veteran, that's something I'll always find time for and often do "on the house" (though I have been commissioned by a third party at times). I also have a long list of A-10's, F-4's, F-15's, 18's, and now the 22 for some of my friends that flew or currently fly them... I'll probably just charge them the cost of the kit as I've done for all my friends before ;) In all honesty I'm not looking forward turning out all those birds so I get to them when time permits, not taking any cash up front or setting a complete by date. They all know and are cool with my VERY slow progress. That's something you can't do on commission.

Oh, and as far as an actually formula to calculate the cost (charge) of a build... There is something out there. I don't recall the exact figure but a close friend who really is a professional Arcitechual & scale model builder says you charge by the linear foot. It's a huge figure believe me and the reason why some museum models are in the tens of thousands of $.

IMHO as usual :cheers:

Mark