To rivet or not to rivet

Im currently building Yet another Bf 109 (Fujimi G6 as a G14) this one is a test build for a couple of Hasegawa G6's i have planned and i have started to rivet this one. This is the first full rivet job iv'e decided to do and i was just wondering what the general consensus on riveting Bf 109's is, i'm no Experten so i would like to hear from some of the luftwaffe experts and weigh up accuracy v's visual interest,

thanks for looking

Cheers

Brad

I think the general consensus on riveting is that there is no general consensus on riveting. If you want to rivet, then rivet. My own view is that if you can't see it from a typical scale distance on a real airplane, why go to all the bother (and it *is* a lot of bother) putting rivets on a model that you don't see on a real airplane. Aircraft manufacturers go to great lengths on high speed a/c to make the rivets as smooth as possible.

I like the viusal interest that rivets provide but it has to be subtle. More difficult to pull off in 1/48, I have applied rivets to my last few 1/32 projects and even in that scale I'm trying to make them blend rather than stand out. They are noticeable but I'm trying not to have them be the focus of attention.

Modeling is a style of art in my opinion. Everyone will eventually develop their own style. I can usually go to my local model show and pick out who did what kit based on their style and be correct most of the time.

My point (and I do have one :) ) is that they are your models and you should develop a style you like. If adding rivets to add interest pleases you, go for it, if you subscribe to trying to capture as much realism in scale as possible then Jennings' style has definate merit.

In the end, do what pleases you. I have seen both styles and, if done right, both can be visually appealing.

Thanks for your input guys! i'm still weighing up the pros and cons, you guys make some really valid points i guess i'll just have to finish the build and then decide, maybe i'll post some pics and see what you guys think so far, i think i may have overdone the rivits i've done, i just hope they'll calm down under a few coats of paint

Cheers

Brad