drunk driving in an M109

Hey folks,

My boss and I were talking the other night about an event at Fort Carson back around '88 where a couple guys got drunk, borrowed an m109 and started out toward Denver. After looking around on the internet, it seems like something like that happens occasionally. What's the general penalty for something like that? I would assume a possible DD and maybe a few months in Leavenworth.

Also, if you have any similar stories, chime in. we might work up some diorama ideas. LOL

John

I believe that was in San Diego, and his rampage continued until he high centered himself and his M-60 (I think) on a concrete lane divider and was eventually shot and killed by the local PD, after they were able to open the top hatch. He was ...unbalanced, not drunk, if I recall correctly.

Ah, here it is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shawn_Nelson

Alvis 3.1

These days? Career is done son! Not to mention fines and time over in Kansas. Anything involving alcohol and driving is a career ender for senior NCO's and officers. It used to be E-1 through E-5 could go on up to the rank of E-7 with no waivers being granted....but with what is happening and on the horizon, their careers would be toast as well. Heck, my BN policy is if you are caught on base speeding more than 10mph over posted limits, your driver's license will get revoked for three months.

Hey folks,

My boss and I were talking the other night about an event at Fort Carson back around '88 where a couple guys got drunk, borrowed an m109 and started out toward Denver. After looking around on the internet, it seems like something like that happens occasionally. What's the general penalty for something like that? I would assume a possible DD and maybe a few months in Leavenworth.

Also, if you have any similar stories, chime in. we might work up some diorama ideas. LOL

John

A drunk Marine at my base in Japan drove his Humvee up a flight of stairs (through the hand rail up the middle of the stairs) and parked it in the lobby of his dorm after a bender one night.

convoy of Humvees at the McDonald's drive through? :rofl:

We used to do that every morning after roll call. We'd get to work early, everybody would load their tool boxes into the back of their dodge 6 packs, and as soon as they said "dismissed" we'd literally race like someone shot a starting pistol to get out of the security checkpoint on the flightline first so that we could be first in line at the Duncan donuts on base for breakfast. Every day at 7am, there was a line of green and blue flighline vehicles wrapped around the block waiting their turn at the drive through.