Absinth-Alcoholic beverage

Gents:

Especially you Eastern block folks, A friend of mine recently returned from a 2 month trip to Europe and brought me back a small bottle of Absinth (Staroplzemecky brand). I've heard some pretty silly stories about this stuff. Any hints to enjoy this "strange brew?

Alvin5182

by the way, this stuff is "banned" and not for sale in Ontario, Canada. But, then again is marihuana!

A friend of mine once told me but I wasn't really paying attention--I only care about scotch :P

I vaguely remember something about putting a sugar cube on a spoon (that had lots of holes in it) laid across the top of a glass with absinthe in it, then dripping water on said setup.

Edited by Jinro

pour the absinthe into the glass, then set a flat spoonlike utensil with holes in it over the glass... put a sugarcube on there and slowly pour hot water over it to melt the sugar into the absinthe, then you drink it.

It's only /real/ absinthe that's banned in Canada (and most elsewhere)... the one that contains wormwood and is thus a psychedelic drug like lsd or magic mushrooms... (why Van Gogh went nuts...). Absinthe nowadays is made without the wormwood - and you can get that even in BC liquor stores, but I don't think anybody bothers to drink the crap except for goths, just for the sake of the style.

The old chestnut about absinthe being hallucinogenic is just that - an old chestnut. That rumor got started and took hold, which caused the stuff to be banned in the early 20th Century in many places, but none of that was ever proven, and was in fact false. I've had it, and frankly I can't figure out why anyone would voluntarily drink the stuff other than to try to be chic (sort of like Jägermeister - nasty!). It's not what made van Gogh crazy...

I think the Absinth reputation came about originally because of its very high alcoholic content. If you wanted to get mullered quickly, then Absinth was the shortest route and drinking it became stigmatised because of the association with alcoholism, irrespective of its Bohemian cachet. Check out this painting by Degas, entitled L'Absinthe

Absinthe.jpg

Many English critics viewed it as a warning lesson against absinthe and the French in general. George Moore described the woman in the painting: “What a whore!†He added, “the tale is not a pleasant one, but it is a lesson.â€

I read somewhere that modern Absinth has a much reduced alcohol content.

peebeep

The only sign I can see of ANY kind of content, is the figure 70%. So, I'm guessing it's 70 "proof" which is 35% by volume. Average North American liquors are about 80 proof or 40% by volume. I stand to be corrected. Oh, by the way, this is only a very small bottle. Airline size. Thoughts?

Alvin5182

It tastes good if you like the taste of aniseed. I think you already gathered some good suggestions, I'd add that it has to be mixed with iced, not room-temperature, water (dissolved ice is fine). Try a ratio of 3/4 water to 1 absinthe, and leave alone the flashy stuff like setting the sugarcube on fire - it will ruin both the absinthe and the spoons.

Edited by Bonehammer73

As mentioned above, absinthe typically no longer contains wormwood, so no hallucinations.

I tried it once last year, with the burning sugar preparation. I'm not a big fan of the taste of black licorice (anise), so I wasn't that fond of it.

Rum, that's another story . . .

First, if you don't like licorice, you will not like Absinth. It's closest cousins are Pernod and Ricard. The French generically refer to this type as Pastis. Liqueurs of similar taste are the Greek Ouzo and Turkish Raki. Absinth can be drunk with or without ice cube, and always with a bit of water to turn it cloudy, as it should be. Given the herbal base of Absinth, it may turn more a yellowish / greenish color, reflecting the color of the liqueur. Sugar was used because it help hide the bad taste of crappy, cheap absinth. It has become a fashion statement based solely on ignorance and pretense.

On a summer late afternoon or early evening, there can be nothing more relaxing than sipping a pastis (with ice). Absinth has more of a reputation as a bar drink, but it is wonderful cocktail.