question for FIGURE PAINTERS

I have never really painted figures before, other than put on a base color, then add a tiny bit of highlights.

I have a couple Hasegawa ground crew kits that I would like to do a nice job on, but have a few questions.

In the instructions, they say apply the base color, then paint the low areas...then come back and wipe off any excess.

Is that really the correct way?

I thought the "low" areas would be the main color, then come back and dry brush the rest??

Is one way more proper than the other, or easier than the other?

Also, on another thread, someone refered to "picking out" the mustache.

Can someone please explain exactly what the technique for that is??

Thanks

Phil

The way I've always done it is paint the base color, use a wash for shadows and then drybrush highlights. Maybe the instructions are referring to wiping away excess wash?

I'm not quite sure what "picking out" the mustache means. If a mustache is molded in just treat it like hair. If not, it depends on the scale. With smaller figures you can get away with painting one on, while on larger figures you'd have to improvise.

Hi Phil,

I'm not a figure painter as such but I've picked up a few tips along the way.

Choose your uniform colour and base coat the figure then apply a darker shade as a wash to fill in the creases to create shadows. Once that is dry, use a lighter shade and highlight the folds of cloth using your dry-brush technique.

You can adopt this technique for the skin tones too.

In the past, I've applied the mid tone colour all over then dry brushed the darker shade from beneath working upward and the lighter shade from the top working downward. Try to imagine how the light would fall on a subject. The uppermost areas would be lighter, the undersides darker.

This is a very simplified approach and you can take it just about as far as you wish. Remember, practice makes perfect and patience goes a long way toward getting a good result too. ;)

Btw, picking out the moustache is just using a fine brush to colour in the moustache of a figure.

HTH

:cheers: