Gloster Gladiator, 607 Squadron, August, 1939

This model comes into the 'I can do better next time, dammit', file, but I did put enough work into it to want to show the booger anyway. The whole sorry tale of this kit's spirited resistance to being built at all can be found here:

http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=233927&st=0

IMG_2832.jpg

IMG_2838.jpg

IMG_2830.jpg

IMG_2839.jpg

IMG_2842.jpg

Most of the problems were of my own making, mostly dropping the thing several times, and waiting to correct the protrubance of the kit's motor till it was attached, which led to a good deal of fine dust going onto the inside of the canopy. On the plus side, I am very happy I managed to successfully alter a canopy, removing, and replacing in correct configuration, a portion of canopy framing.

A few points for those considering this model, which is indeed a cheap and cheerful 1/72 Gladiator kit, that I intend to do again....

The cabane arrangement is not too good here, whatever the general virtues of the Matchbox style may be: they set too wide relative to the locator holes in the upper wing (which seem to be placed correctly). Trimming the mating surfaces of the internal 'shelf' where the cabane pieces meet is one possible way of dealing with this, but you will probably do better just to cut the cabanes off their pieces, and apply them to the model once the upper wing is attached to the interplane struts.

Take care with the dihedral of the lower wing. Some of my problems with this may have been self-inflicted, owing to having to do repairs after dropping the thing, but I got the feeling something was a bit touchy here in any case. The upper wing makes a good 'cradle' for checking lower wing dihedral, and be sure and check verical alignment of the interplane locator holes.

Other points are touched on in the build thread, linked above.

The model is intended to represent a machine of 607 Squadron, an Auxiliary Air Force unit,photographed at the unit's 'summer camp' display at Abbottsinch (now Glasgow Airport) in August of 1939. The machine did not show a serial in the photograph, but was probably K6147. This machine served with several RAF squadrons, receiving its camouflage while with 25 Sqdn during the Munich Crisis. It went to France with 607, and then went into storage. In 1941, it was shipped to the Middle East, going to 261 Sqdn at Habbaniya, after which it was turned over to the re-formed Iraqi air force. It was returned to the RAF after some months, and ended its career in a pranging while part of No. 1412 (Meteorological Flight).

Edited by Old Man