:blink: Sorry, lad; I don't think I'm followin' ya there... :wacko: Would ya please elaborate on it as though I were a five-year-old toddler with learnin' issues? :bandhead2:

I was thinking of using this rib as a template for the shape of the nose.

rib.jpg

Cut this out and fit it into the front of the kit's fuselage to help reshape it. Would take a fair bit of cutting and trimming....

Not something I am considering but would be possible if one was willing.

HTH

• 1 month later...

Does anyone have an accurate dimension of the nose length from where it joins the main fuselage to the front (minus the pitot tube)?

Something along the lines of 139.61", if I'm reading one of the drawings in the Warbird Tech Series book correctly.

This is a great thread.

Funny, I was visiting my cousin a few weeks ago, and he reminded me of the airshow that we attended when we were much younger. We got to see the SR-71.

We are both in our 40's now, so you know she made an impression.

I can still see her flashing past the crowd, completely unexpected as the scheduled performer was down with a technical problem.

Thank you everyone for the information/pics.

Edited by Av8fan

I was thinking of using this rib as a template for the shape of the nose.

rib.jpg

Cut this out and fit it into the front of the kit's fuselage to help reshape it. Would take a fair bit of cutting and trimming....

Not something I am considering but would be possible if one was willing.

:woot.gif:Thanks, Nathan, my fella! :worship:

I'm plannin' to reshape the whole nose, with chines 'n' cockpit elevation accordin' to Roberto's post on Britmodeller. Sure it's gonna take quite more than just a fair bit of cuttin' 'n' trimmin,' but both yer work on the nose + Roberto's on the cockpit area have inspired me. Real fancy yer ASARS nose. :thumbsup:

Incidentally; there're a lot of good piccies for reference on Britmodeller's walkaround section; dunno whether ya've checked 'em out already.

Thanks once again, mate. Hope ya're enjoyin' yer weekend over there in beautiful Oz. :cheers:

Funny, I was visiting my cousin a few weeks ago, and he reminded me of the airshow that we attended when we were much younger. We got to see the SR-71.

We are both in our 40's now, so you know she made an impression.

:lol: Indeed! Nay nearly 30 yet, but certainly think I'd have given ten years of my life in exchange for the privilege to see the SR-71 throw off some booms up close 'n' personal.

Cheers now, lads

Unc²

This thread got me wanting to make my own corrected nose...a friend from work is helping me model one in 3D on the computer and I'm going to send it into shapeways and get it 3D printed. It should be as correct as it can get, but there will be plenty of work yet to do on the rest of the fuselage to get it to match up. The fuselage is a lot narrower where the nose mates, so I'll have to do some work to get the chines to flare out to meet the corrected nose. I'll definitely post some pictures when the piece comes in!

David

• 1 month later...

Well, let’s see if I can shed a little light on the 3 significant SR-71 nose configurations CAPRE/SLR, OBC and ASARS. I’ll cover each one separately. All of the noses could be configured with ballast for training flights which is what most of the CAPRE noses were used for later in the program. The ECM bulges came along in the mid-eighties on all the noses.

CAPRE (also known as SLR or SLAR) was used for most of the program and I believe it was replaced when ASARS came along in the early 80’s Most of the SR-71’s on display in museums have this nose attached with ballast installed. It’s easily identified by the lack of camera windows and multiple panel lines on the lower surface.

CAPRE_0.jpg

CAPRE_1.jpg

CAPRE_2.jpg

CAPRE_3.jpg

CAPRE_4.jpg

Next up, OBC nose....

I've got both the SR-71, and YF-12A (which needs a little TLC in the form of missing canopies/windscreen,vertiacl stabilizers-both, central retractable ventral stabilizer, and pitot), and do have the True Details wheels and cockpit sets, anlong with and old photo-ectch canopy frame/rail set (forgot from whom), But I am looking for more detailed information and you seem to have quite a bit...is there anyway that I may get a copy of the information that you use so that I can use it on my kits? You can email me at wild57mustang@yahoo.com. I would appreciate it very much. Thanks, Lewin

I can't believe that as much as I have stared at mine, that I have not noticed the nose. It is so obvious, that it coms out and bites you on the ***. Well I guess I will have to go back and do some surgery.

Edited by Otto

I've got both the SR-71, and YF-12A (which needs a little TLC in the form of missing canopies/windscreen,vertiacl stabilizers-both, central retractable ventral stabilizer, and pitot), and do have the True Details wheels and cockpit sets, anlong with and old photo-ectch canopy frame/rail set (forgot from whom), But I am looking for more detailed information and you seem to have quite a bit...is there anyway that I may get a copy of the information that you use so that I can use it on my kits? You can email me at wild57mustang@yahoo.com. I would appreciate it very much. Thanks, Lewin

Not a good idea to post your email. I suggest you remove it from your post and PM it to him instead. It is a bit safer. There are a lot of drawings out there available. The question is, which are correct. I doubt that Lockheed ever released any exact outline prints for this bird. I also have the YF-12A (complete) and three of the SR-71 kits (I wanted to do different variants and also build an A-11) what ever info that can be posted here would be really appreciated.

(I wanted to do different variants and also build an A-11)

What's an A-11? Or do you mean Johnson's reference to the YF-12?

Depending on what kits you've got you may face certain challenges in depicting the variants.

Of the SR-71, there are four main versions:

-SR-71A

-SR-71A Big Tail (61-7959)

-SR-71B (two-seat trainer; 61-7956/7957)

-SR-71C (two-seat trainer built using SR-71B front end and YF-12 #934 rear end; 61-7981)

For the A-12:

-A-12

-TA-12 (two-seat trainer, known as the "Titanium Goose"; 60-6927)

-M-21 (D-21 carrier; 60-6940/6941)

And then there's the YF-12.

This doesn't account for the various nose and antenna kits discussed earlier in this thread.

The first designation of the aircraft that the CIA ordered for the single seat version was the A-11 before it was re-designated A-12. The first A-11 concept was actually kind of interesting also. But yes the single seat A-12 is what I was referring to.

A-11_small.gif

Edited by Otto

Where did you read about the A-11/A-12 re-designation? I was under the impression that the A-12 was the 12th design study of the Archangel project. It differs considerably from the A-11 design, anyway.

Personally I'm more fond of the A-10 configuration.

Where did you read about the A-11/A-12 re-designation? I was under the impression that the A-12 was the 12th design study of the Archangel project. It differs considerably from the A-11 design, anyway.

Personally I'm more fond of the A-10 configuration.

Lots of info and stuff here:

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,1107.0.html

You have to be registered to see the pictures tho i believe.

• 2 weeks later...

I have another question for the Sled Lerned.... If the TEOC and OOC cameras were not fitted in the aft equipment bays were there still windows fitted or were they blanked over?

In the picture below that X-plane fan showed, there only apears to be two windows. For the TEOC's?

SR-71A_4.jpg

Thanks guys!

I have another question for the Sled Lerned.... If the TEOC and OOC cameras were not fitted in the aft equipment bays were there still windows fitted or were they blanked over?

In the picture below that X-plane fan showed, there only apears to be two windows. For the TEOC's?

SR-71A_4.jpg

Thanks guys!

Because of the high cost of the windows, they were not installed unless cameras were installed in those positions. The photo you posted shows a plane carrying 2 TEOCs and one OBC. I am surprised it is not carrying a TROC, but they may have been retired by the time that picture was taken.

Larry

Thanks Larry,

I thought that must have been the case. You said the TROC's were retired. What time frame were they retired? The TROC'S were the cameras directly behind the nose wheel well, or behind the TEOC's? The operational objective cameras, if they were fitted, we're the furthest aft with the windows close to the wing root?

Thanks for all you time and info guys!

Thanks Larry,

I thought that must have been the case. You said the TROC's were retired. What time frame were they retired? The TROC'S were the cameras directly behind the nose wheel well, or behind the TEOC's? The operational objective cameras, if they were fitted, we're the furthest aft with the windows close to the wing root?

Thanks for all you time and info guys!

I was stationed at Beale AFB, from '77 to '80, and was assigned to the Photo Sensor Shop. While there, we had all 4 camera types in the shop: OBC (Optical Bar Camera), TEOC (Technical Objective Camera), TROC (Terrain Objective Camera) & OOC (Operational Objective Camera). I never saw the OOC loaded for operational missions, only for training. Optical Sensor Technicians were usually trained for one type of camera, mine was the OBC's, both 24" & 30" versions. We all uploaded & preflighted all the cameras, as well as downloading them from the aicraft. The TROC was installed in front of the nose wheel well, not behind. Later, that space was taken up by the ASARS datalink antenna, which was after I left Beale. We were still flying the original SLAR system while I was stationed there. You're right about the OOC's being loaded in the chine bays behind the TEOC's, but as I mentioned, they were no longer being used operationally by mid-1977.

One more question :)

What cameras, if any, we're carried with the ASARS nose?

Thanks again!!

The only camera that could be installed at the same time as an ASARS nose was the TEOC's.

HTH,

Larry

Thanks for that Larry,

Do you or anyone else have pictures of the windows and or camera bays?

I mostly am after locations for all the camera windows on the jet.

What would a common load out be for a Sled in your days Larry?

Thanks again!

Thanks for that Larry,

Do you or anyone else have pictures of the windows and or camera bays?

I mostly am after locations for all the camera windows on the jet.

What would a common load out be for a Sled in your days Larry?

Thanks again!

I don't have any pics of the windows or camera bays, since it was still Special Access at that time. Anybody attempting to sneak any detail shots on the flightline, would be rewarded with a 1-way ticket to Kansas (Fort Leavenworth).

A "common" load out really depended on what the target was. When we overflew Cuba, we loaded an OBC in the nose, 2 TEOCs in the chine bays, and the TROC for position tracking. They wanted to ensure we didn't miss any targets, especially since we were told the Habu was at risk of getting shot down.

Larry

Hi again Larry,

Does the location of the windows on this pic look right?

SR-71_bottom.jpg

Also, is the TROC' window shown on this pic? Is it rounded or square?

Thanks again

Edited by nimrod77

I was stationed at Beale AFB, from '77 to '80, and was assigned to the Photo Sensor Shop. While there, we had all 4 camera types in the shop: OBC (Optical Bar Camera), TEOC (Technical Objective Camera), TROC (Terrain Objective Camera) & OOC (Operational Objective Camera). I never saw the OOC loaded for operational missions, only for training. Optical Sensor Technicians were usually trained for one type of camera, mine was the OBC's, both 24" & 30" versions. We all uploaded & preflighted all the cameras, as well as downloading them from the aicraft. The TROC was installed in front of the nose wheel well, not behind. Later, that space was taken up by the ASARS datalink antenna, which was after I left Beale. We were still flying the original SLAR system while I was stationed there. You're right about the OOC's being loaded in the chine bays behind the TEOC's, but as I mentioned, they were no longer being used operationally by mid-1977.

WOW Larry, that must have been a job from 77 to 80 :woot.gif::woot.gif: It must have been very interesting working with this aircraft. I saw in 1983 the SR-71 in the UK in person and it was an amazing site, a trully fascinating aircraft even if at that time we were on opposing sides of the iron curtain. One has to give credit, it was something special! Lockheed did create one of the best aircraft of the last century!

As to the threat during a live mission for the SR-71. In the mid 80's i spoke with Russian pilots and by then they had an "answer" to the SR-71.

Best regards

Gabor

Ok,

I am thinking of converting my SLR/CAPRE nose into a OBC nose. What would you guys prefer to use on your jet?

DSC00455.jpg

I am thinking of using the kit nose's OBC windows, to save on mucking about with clear stuff...

HPIM1228_fs.jpg

Opinions?