Boeing 747SR-46 Japan Air Lines

Hi guys,

I like to show you my latest model, it´s a Boeing 747SR-46 of Japan Air Lines as it was in service about the mid 80s.

The "SR" refers to a short-range variant version of the 747 combined with expanded seat capacity, thus usually this planes were in service just between japanese cities - less "rush hour"... B)

747rf.jpg

First, even a size comparison - do not forget: The model is in scale 1 / 350 ...! :blink:

747color.jpg

Despite the high age of the kit itself the supplied decals worked very well - all panellines were highlighted by graphite powder..

747lt.jpg

747rt.jpg

Unfortunately, there is a small mistake in the decals: The characters "Japan Air Lines" as well as "JAL"(on the wings) should be diagonal - I even noticed that after the completion.. :rolleyes:

You may see the fine emphasis by graphite powder here on the wings surface ..

747overii.jpg

"JA8117" again, this time from a greater height. There´s a little repair by red paint on the nose, but I think that´s only noticable on a closer look..

747over.jpg

A picture of the underside, out of the construction phase

747jal4.jpg

And along with my morning coffee.. :) (The lettering means "Same Sh*t Every Morning")

747jal5.jpg

Another left/right view..

747ltf.jpg

747rtf.jpg

In conclusion, two other "can photos," first with the tin in the background ...

747colorii.jpg

And as a "billboard" - because it beautifully illustrates the height of the model..

747coloriii.jpg

It remains to mention that this old Otaki kit was absolutely gorgeous to build - all parts fit together properly.

The little "Bonsai-Jumbo" was built primarily as a background object for later (1/144er-) airliner photos.

Finally, I apologize for my bad english?! :whistle:

Hope You Like It - Happy modeling! :D

Greetz from Germany

Edited by airforce_mike

...thanx a lot, guys! :D

I´ve got some more of those little beauties in progress...

B747-133, 1/390 scale (Revell/Matchbox) - with a little nose shape correction and the window decal from a 1/450 scale kit..

That window decal is much too big for the "450" and I think it´s still a little too big on this one?!.

I painted the tailfin green and cut out the maple leafs from the wrong (blue) coloured decal - ´cause of it´s size that was really fun! :bandhead2:

747ac2.jpg

...and the 1/450 scale kit itself: B747-206 (Revell/Heller) - working on this one includes the rebuild of the useless engines in this kit.. ;)

747klmxx.jpg

Edited by airforce_mike

Very nice build you did there!

If I got one of the little Otaki beauties, I would be SOOO tempted to stick it on the deck of a 1/350 aircraft carrier to mess with somebody's head. ;) I also wish somebody would have done a space shuttle in that scale, so it could be stuck on the 747 and I could add it to a "space ships named Enterprise" collection (since Enterprise never flew in space and had to be trucked into the sky with a 747).

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Jay,

Was that Heller kit the old one with the raised cheat line and window details? If it is, you did A LOT of work to get it to look THAT good.

Yes, it´s that old Heller-Kit (or better the new Revell Re-release of it) with the raised details and much oversized windows... :rolleyes:

I sanded it down completely, ´cause I think the overall shape of the kit is good..

I´m still working on the correction of the useless engines.

Thank´s again! :coolio: