Does anyone use that Robart paint shaker?

You know...the one that Micromark sells for about 48 bucks? The one that plugs into the a/c outlet...not the battery operated one. If so...do you like it? Does it work good? Is it robust enough to last years? Does it do a good job mixing the paint? etc etc.. Thinking of buying one and just wanted the experience of others who may already have used this product...

Thanks much,

Terry

I have one and I love it.

Shakes the paint like crazy and mix it very good and fast.

Perfect for Vallejo and other paint that you can't stir.

I have the battery version which I converted with a left over 5 volt power supply from some computer stuff because I need 220volt and they only sell 110volt. They are both the same inside though.

I used mine for about a year and it works fine but I read somewhere of some guys who had the motor break but they found replacement motor in RadioShack for a few $.

The rubber strap don't last very long so you need a few extra of those or you can use normal rubber bands.

Tower Hobby sell it for $39.99.

I got one as a gift almost four years ago and have been quite happy with it. It handles most paint bottles (including the big Polly S. 1 oz. and Tamiya 23 ml. ones), and mixes up the paint quite well. All you do is strap the bottle in snugly (but not too tight), turn it on, and let it go for a minute or two. I have to put a weight on it, however, or else it dances all over my table top. I'd say I'm a moderate user, and the machines has held up well. I've run it nearly non-stop for about 15-20 minutes or so at a go during a painting session, no more, so I don't know how if it would stand up to really heavy duty use or burn out. The straps will wear out, so you may want to buy some extras while you're at it. The one that comes with the shaker finally wore out on me three weeks ago, which I guess is a fairly good run, but I was pretty gentle with it because I knew it was a weak point. You can buy packs of five fairly cheaply online or in a hobby shop.

While it will mix up most paints quite well, there are a small number that I found did not properly mix despite several minutes of shaking. These tended to be really old bottles that had nearly dried out. For those, I had to break out a mixing stick to manually stir the gunk at the bottom, then shake them some more. That did the trick.

By the way, check out the Amazon listing for it. It's going for less than $40, with free shipping, and it has gotten fairly good reviews there, too. Here's the link.

I had two of the paint shakers and was never really happy with it. The first one just stopped working after a couple of months. The second one still worked when I sold it. I found the Badger Paint Mixer worked a lot better and still using the same one I have had for the past 10 years or so. Not saying this since I sell them, but I own one and know it works a lot better than the shaker. The first link is a video showing how it works.

http://www.rogarhobbies.com/servlet/the-489/Badger-Paint-Mixer/Detail

Robert

I have the one you're considering. I've had it about 10 years or more. Except for the aforementioned strap, it's reliable. The biggest drawback is that the vibration of the machine is quite vigorous and it will travel around the table (and on to the floor) if it's not secured and the bottle will pop out of the cradle if it's not thoroughly secured along every axis.

My rubber strap lasted about 5 uses before it broke. I found that rubber bands can loose their grip and send the bottle flying. I found that using my wife's scrunci was the best at securing the bottle as it was much stronger than a rubber band and could be stretched around the bottle multiple times and from different angles.

The paint shaker is great for reviving paint that's been sitting around too long. It will also revive paint in which the pigment has been thoroughly separated from the solvent. Many will tell you to drop a couple of BBs in the paint to help it mix and the trick does work, but, in acrylic paints, the BBs will oxidize after a few years and start to change the pigment of the paint. This is true for both aluminum and copper BBs. If you can, fish them out of the bottle after mixing. (Easier said than done.)

In short: worth it if you have a problem with thick paint or need to revive old paint. However, it's not a "set it and forget it" type of machine, because the vibration is so vigorous. You have to keep an eye on it. It's the type of machine that Murphy's Law loves to play with.

:D, As the Robart brand paint shaker isn't available here in Oz I have no choice but to rely on the Armstrong version. This model costs nothing but a small portion of daily food intake and is as reliable as the person operating it. I've used the Armstrong for at least the last 35 years now and it hasn't worn out yet, and I don't expect it to anytime even in the medium distant future, in fact I don't even get sore wrists from using it, not like from using the computer. I doubt I'll ever spend $48 dollars on the Robart shaker when the Armstrong is so cheap, reliable and easy to use and doesn't add to my electricity bill. I have nothing but praise and admiration for the Armstrong Paint Shaker and thoroughly reccomend it to all who ask me what brand I use. Another good point about the Armstrong is it can be used equally well by sinisters, dexters and ambidexters. My reccomendation; The Armstrong Paint Shaker, free and close at hand (well at the ends of your shoulders at least.) You can even add a little wrist action to stir the paint a little quicker if you so wish.

:cheers:,

Ross.