1/48 Sharkmouth Typhoon

Hi All

Here is my first instalment on the Typhoon build. This is the first time I have built the Hasegawa Typhoon. I am guess from the kit breakdown that these molds provide the base for both bubble and car door types of typhoons. I am guessing the different are these plates

aa3.jpg

These will require a bit of work. First I removed the injector pin marks, next I test fitted. I found that if I follow the curve of the fuselage and the panel lines there are some gaps in the top and bottom that need to be dealt with.

aa4.jpg

aa8.jpg

I glued the pieces in and then masked off the areas for filling.

aa8.jpg

A couple coats of Mr Surfacer and finishing. aa9.jpg

I think it is pretty much good to go

aa21.jpg

Next that big chin radiator. The one in the kit is has some problems to my eyes, first off it is see though, secondly there seems to be a couple of bars that are missing . So basically I went from this

aa11.jpg

To this

aa17.jpg

aa18.jpg

Let me know what you think

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

I am moving ahead with the Typhoon. Compared to a lot of the kits I have been building this is a nice change, a nice simple kit that goes together without much muss or fuss.

After working on the fuselage I turned my attention to the beautiful Aires Cockpit. The details are but finding references was a bit of a challenge. On bit of klutziness on my part is I fed the compass to the carpet monster, using my new punch set I built a new one

bb11.jpg

bb10.jpg

bb14.jpg

bb13.jpg

bb4.jpg

Next put the fuselage. Those insert plate were still giving me trouble. Needed some shims to get things in order

bb5.jpg

A bit of sanding, Mr. Surfacer and polishing and I thing we are looking better

bb1.jpg

Next the cannons, the kit ones are a little week

bb6.jpg

Used a bit brass tubing to try to improve them

bb15.jpg

Rob

On bit of klutziness on my part is I fed the compass to the carpet monster, using my new punch set I built a new one

Don't ya know, you're supposed to keep the carpet monster at bey by feeding them scrap sprue before doing any kind of work with the tiny fiddly bits!? Oh, I guess I forget to do that too sometimes!

bb10.jpg

bb13.jpg

That 'pit is looking AWESOME! Nice enhancement to the cannons too. To me, that's one of the coolest parts of the Typhoon.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok Another update the main construction is now complete, and the kit is primed .

cc2.jpg

This was then followed by a bit of pre shading

cc4.jpg

Then the main camouflage

cc7.jpg

Followed by the start of the weathering process

cc8.jpg

More to follow soon !!!