M-113 ACAV W.I.P.

Looking good, some detail pointers. The red fire extinguisher in the drivers compartment should be painted OD not red, a red removable extinguisher was mounted at the right rear of the crew compartment above the battery box on the back wall. The box under the radios did not exist on the real vehicle, it was all open. It appears that box is the cover for the batteries and should be in the right rear corner. Also if the vehicle depicts an ACAV from RVN, the heater in the right front crew compartment needs to go.

Mike

Picture2123.jpg

Using a Tamiya kit, Academy kit and Eduard interior and exterior detail p.e. set, here are some early photographs of a build I'am currently involved with.

Edited by Alpha13

the exterior scuffing was done with an x-acto and metallic grey paint. Lightly scrape off the base color, apply metallic grey then weather over the top. I also used salt for chipping and a graphite pencil for weathering along with an oil paint wash and acrylic washs.

Edited by stevenichols

Those are great looking tracks, they lay exactly as the real ones do.

Picture2399.jpg

Picture2398.jpg

A couple updates, tracks are on(modelkasten) and the mission models .50 cal ammo with individual links.

Edited by Alpha13

It looks great, excellent weathering. If you put any scratches on the 113 that go into the aluminum remember it doesn't rust and stays bright silver. The 113 was fun to drive with the laterals, but a b*tch to ride in.

Can't wait to see it all put together.

TC

Edited by Tankcommander

Picture2421.jpg

Picture2416.jpg

Picture2411.jpg

Picture2410.jpg

Thanks everyone, she's getting there, now comes the fun part all the exterior stowage. I have Verlinden's 113 Viet Nam stowage set next. No antennae yet, and the scratch's have dirt in them, no rust on her as I know she is aluminum. The .50 and M-60's are both Royal models kits and the .50 has a brass barrel. Interior stencils are archer transfers. Tank commander, it is a pleasure hearing from someone who is as familiar with the 113 as you are.

Flyingfortress the tracks were very easy to assemble, three spots on each link had to be cleaned which took the most time and the pins connecting the track links worked perfectly. The pads took a bit of time to remove from the sprue and can be a little nervewracking when placing on the track links, any adhesive that escapes the area to attach the pads is not good, it will keep the links from articulating. There are absolutely no ejector pin marks on anything. All in all I highly recommend them.

Thanks for the thumbs up indeed.

She is looking really good. The only things I see are minor. On the .50 cal ammo belt, the connecting links should be steel, not brass. They look like below. Your M60s could also use some ammo. The belts looks the same as the .50 cal ones, just smaller. You could also add a bit of color by making the belts 4 & 1 tracer belts. Every 5th round has a red tip to denote the tracer round.

.50 cal belt, notice steel links

gunsmuggling-focusmd.jpg

.50 Cal API rounds, every 5th one a tracer (red tip)

300px-A_close_up_of_0.50_Caliber_(12.7_mm)_Browning_Ball_M33_Ammunition_loaded_onto_a_Browning_M2_HB_0.50_caliber_heavy_machine_.JPEG

Edited by HeavyArty

Shawn Thanks, Gino Thanks for the input, will get those links painted and I'll add the tracer tips, I did indeed miss that indeed Thanks again, Steve :salute: I also must add the yellow decal on the .50 cal. ammo box

I also need to fix a mistake on the square upper rear hatch, the closing chain is on the bottom and it should be on the top :tumble:

Edited by stevenichols
I also need to fix a mistake on the square upper rear hatch, the closing chain is on the bottom and it should be on the top.

Yup, I missed that. Gotta love Tamiya. The easiest way to fix it is cut off the hatch at the hinge posts, then turn it around 180 degrees and reattach. Kep up the great work.

That way works too. Unfortunately, I never made it to Japan. I had a death in the family at the same time as the trip. I did get to keep my model (if you go on the trip, you are expected to leave your model at the Tamiya HQ in Japan) and Tamiya sent me a few kits to compensate for the trip though.

The chain link fence should be strapped to the trim vane not across the front as depicted, driver can't see through it, either with his head out the hatch or through the periscopes. Also not a good idea to have things on the vehicle that trees like to grab and throw back onto or at the driver, TC and/or gunners, VC don't need to do nothing then, just sit in the bush and laugh. The concertina wire should also be strapped to the trim vane or on top of the vehicle strapped on top at the radiator inlet.

Picture2459.jpg

Picture2475.jpg

Picture2467.jpg

Getting there slowly but surely. Base next with Bravo six figures, Fredericus Rex jungle vegetation, with a palm tree from Model Victoria from Italy. Also need to install the rear hatch cable.

Picture2484.jpg

Picture2490.jpg

Picture2498.jpg

Picture2481.jpg

Not sure about the M-60 rounds, liking what they look like. I already knew the chain link fence was in the wrong place and I have seen pictures of 113's with the razor wire hanging off the side. No gear was attached so things could be adjusted. The vehicle will be depicted at rest( a little R&R) on the base so some items will be out in the open, and on top of the hull. The Bravo 6 figures are absolutely gorgeous.

Edited by stevenichols

The crash pad on the inside of the ring of the drivers opening should be painted a dark brownish/black color with a tinch of OD.

Picture2481.jpg

Not sure about the M-60 rounds, liking what they look like. I already knew the chain link fence was in the wrong place and I have seen pictures of 113's with the razor wire hanging off the side. No gear was attached so things could be adjusted. The vehicle will be depicted at rest( a little R&R) on the base so some items will be out in the open, and on top of the hull. The Bravo 6 figures are absolutely gorgeous.

Edited by Alpha13