Washing

Hi im new to modeling but I simpley love aircraft. Iv been building for around 5 1/2 months now and I'v herd of a techneic called a wash? what effect does it do and how is it done? ;) thanks so much for your time and input. Joel

Hi Joel

You might want to look at some of the hints in this section:-

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/TnT_...-weathering.htm

Also some of the Galleries have features on how washes were applied.

I ve yet to try it myself but if Ive got the gist of it, you finish your masterpiece, paint and decals, then seal with Future/Klear floor polish. Once this coat is dried and cured, you apply a wash of either very thinned enamels to the panel lines and other details, or a chalk pastel wash as detailed in the above link. Any mistakes made are easily rectified due to the sealing coat of Future.

As youve not done it before I would suggest buying a cheapo model to test it on first. ;)

Im sure the experts on this site will have better descriptions/suggestions for you but hope this helps :D

Joel,

There are many ways of weathering. What you really need to do is buy a bunch of cheapo models and go to town. Read tools in tips here on ARC, Watch Brett Green's video over on hyperscale, read the finescale Modeler article on sludge wash. Info is all over. Just practice, practice, practice. Use those cheapo models to get better at assembly and painting as well. I've been modeling for over a year now and am just beginning to bring everything together. One tip on just about everywash is DON"T FORGET THE COAT OF FUTURE! If you do you'll end up with a smeared mess. Good luck and happy modeling.

Joel,

I've used a couple of washing techniques on my models, including the use of acrylic paints, artist's water colours and enamels. It's not difficult, and I've tried to put what I've found into an article on my club's website. Check it out if you're interested. I've found that the artist's colours and dishsoap method is the best, and if you're careful, you can clean it any small mistakes. Contrary to Mike T's comment, I don't use Future before I wash my models, because I've had Future wash off, taking everything down to bare plastic! But I've had no trouble using that technique on Polly Scale acrylics and Testor's enamels.

RMMC Model Club