Reminder - Old 66 Decals back in stock

Visit http://www.old66decals.com/ if you're interested in obtaining the only accurate and complete decals ever done for SH-3D "Old 66" in her Apollo 8, 10, 11, and 12 guises. We reprinted the 1/48 and 1/72 sheets, but that's it. There ain't gonna be no more! On to other projects.

:)

J

• 9 years later...

I don't want to hijack Jonwinn's current thread on Old 66, so I thought I'd ask my question here.

Does anyone have any information (or photos) on the layout of the rear cabin of any of the Gemini or Apollo SH-3s used for the astronaut recovery (winching) portion of the recovery mission?

I understand that the sonar winch and associated equipment was removed to lighten the aircraft and convert it into a utility/SAR configuration. I've looked at youtube for any useful videos but none appear to show the interior. I'd guess that there is a long bench or set of seats on the wall opposite the door. There might also be a second, shorter, set of seats on the rear door side, forward of the door. I also understand that the rescue swimmer/frogmen helicopters would have carried and deployed the dinghies and capsule flotation gear and swimmers. I think 66 might still have had a spare dinghy stored at the rear of the door opening as standard and may have had a second dinghy on the floor too as a back-up. 

I am hoping to build Old 66 in 1/144 scale using the AFV kit which looks really nice. It has an open rear door (and forward crew door!) and internal fuselage ribbing so a little bit of extra detail in there might be nice. Thanks for any assistance anyone can offer.

LD.   

I'm sure the config would be similar to that of "The Final Countdown" movie. Also gives an excuse to see it again. Some of the best SH-3 scenes of ANY movie if you ask me...

Thanks. I found that movie on youtube (dubbed in Spanish, I think). It confirms the idea I had that they had a long set of seats on the port side and a shorter set of seats on the starboard fuselage side. Might even add some of that cabling and tube section visible on the port-side wall from the rear door. 👍

LD.