1/48 Hasegawa F-4E TuAF SEA

Hello, my next project will hopefully look like this:

http://www.airfighters.com/photo_46407.jpg

There are a lot of beautiful recent progress builds here (Chuck's, Zigi's) and those are a great inspiration to me.

Dmolds intake, Aires pit and exhaust nozzles. All really nicely detailed, way above my skills to do justice.

IMG_5098.JPG

Dmolds seamless intakes are great. It requires careful trimming of the kit's intakes and a lot of dry fitting though. The compressor blades are a little wobbly, but my fault. I used lacquer thinner to strip some paint and that deformed them.

IMG_5105.JPG

Aires cockpit is nicely detailed:

IMG_5106.JPG

AoA probe made from a pin:

IMG_5107.JPG

Front shot of the intakes:

IMG_5108.JPG

Structural support for the intakes. I will recribe the panel lines and rivet them, so needed some extra back support:

IMG_5110.JPG

Aires nozzles. Really nice in my opinion:

IMG_5111.JPG

Nozzle painting. Interior involved greenish interior with blue, silver, tan drybrushing. On the outside Tamiya gloss black as the base, followed by Alclad stainless steel, future, black oil wash, Tamiya clear blue and orange tint.

IMG_5134.JPG

Pit installed, some runny painting fixed:

IMG_5135.JPG

IMG_5136.JPG

IMG_5138.JPG

IMG_5140.JPG

Wing root needed some propping up in the middle to conceal the gap on the side of the fuselage that otherwise happens.

IMG_5145.JPG

Hi Janissary,

nice start!

But there have problem with the cockpit, you still have to move the cockpit back to cca 5mm and you have to grind a piece of plastic as I drew it on your photo.

IMG_5135.jpg

I look forward to further progress

cheers

Zigi

No wonder that dang thing did not fit for the longest time! Utter disappointment... How could I miss that? Good eye Zigi. Everything is super glued in place (the fuselage halves glued too) and it is nearly impossible to undo. What are my options? Total loss of mojo...The thing is when I was test fitting the one-piece canopy, the middle instrument panel seemed to be weirdly positioned but even that did not throw me off.

I hear many of you saying that it is salvageable but the excitement thing... :crying2:

Thank you guys, I appreciate it. I have cooled down sufficiently and came to a conclusion: I do not want to continue with this build as the mistake is now carved into my brain and sight (Zigi, not your fault at all). I am not making this decision in panic or wrath, I have enjoyed the whole thing until now and do not feel bad parting with it and move onto a project that has been on my mind for a while now. I also don't have the commitment to fix it. I would really like to see this finished by somebody else though.

So, I am asking to see if anybody is interested in this kit (the full package), and pick up from where I left. All the kit pieces are off their sprues, cleaned/deburred and ready for painting. I can post pics of those if you want. One piece canopy and four piece canopy will be there, kit decals will be there, the Aires seats with the photoetch belts, the exhaust nozzles etc. everything will be there. I will keep the TuAF decals to myself. I have some simple rules though:

- I will send this within USA only.

- All I want is compensation up to $15 (paypal only) to cover shipping. If the shipping is less, you pay that amount, if more you pay $15.

- I would really appreciate if you could post the progress pics and/or the final pics here at ARC, preferably before the end of 2011.

If you are interested, please PM me immediately with a subject line "Free Phantom". I will do a random draw among the first 10 respondents (have someone else do the draw, I guarantee fairness). I will post the result under this thread and put the last nail on this topic :( I can send the package by the end of this week.

Thank you for your interest, and I hope I am not breaking a sacred rule of this hobby by giving up on this build so carelessly.

It is coming to Canada. I hope too do justice in finishing this kit. Wow, it was off to a way beyond great start.

Oh come on Shawn dont you have enouph phantom in the stash already !! then again your probably the best men for the job

Right then, the Phantom arrived here today. Took a few SAM hits on the way up I am afraid. Few parts broke out of the cockpit and all the little things, like the little pegs that hold the slats, pitot tubes and fuel dump all broke off.

Nothing I can't fix mind you. Apart from the broken stuff it looks just like the photos.

Hopefully next weekend I will be able to get to work on it.

Now, I don't have the decals to make it Turkish so I am wondering?

How about we go Greek? Sure they are not the best of buddies but I have the decals ready to go. Could also make it German with parts from another kit in the stash.

A BIG thanks to Burak for sending me this really well started kit!!!!

First I mow the lawn, then I get to work. Appears the rear cockpit details have gone missing . I found half the front ones. So It looks like a conversion to Greece with all the new panels is going to work.

DSC_0731.jpg

And it begins. Decided that taken the entire plane apart is asking for disaster. So the slightly too forward cockpit is going to stay as it is. I figure the tail would rip apart if I separated the fuselage. Added bird stakes to the nose out of card. Added side radar receivers to the intakes from a F-4J. Added some actuators for the landing gear from the spare parts bin along with the RWR. Made pitot tubes for inside the intakes but I just can't get a good photo of them. They were a buggar to install as I sure as heck was not about to rip the intakes from the fuselage, but they are in there now.

DSC_0732.jpg

Edited by phantom