Tamiya 1/32 F-16CJ

Gents,

This is my second jet and I am in love with the kit. It is evident that this was one of the precursors to the modern Spitfire and Mustang from Tamiya. The engineering involved is so precise and it just falls together. Being clinically diagnosed with AMS though, it needed improving.

I butchered the fuselage ( a little too much ) to get the wonderful Aires cockpit to fit. Using the Modern Viper Guide as a reference (needed, so needed) I managed to confirm that virtually every single switch is actually replicated in the Aires cockpit. It is art!

IMG_1151.jpg

IMG_1149.jpg

PICT0141.jpg

PICT0140.jpg

PICT0147.jpg

I am also using the Aires wheel bay and exhaust. I thought I would join the kit engine (which is removable post construction, and can be placed on a dolly, brilliant!) with the Aires exhaust section. I seemed to work, thus far and should work once completed too.

IMG_1155.jpg

The two are joined, with the kit section removed below. The join happens to be where the aires turbine is placed, making it work.

IMG_1152.jpg

PICT0144.jpg

I took some of the painting ideas from the book 'The Scale Viper ; A modellers guide to building the F-16'

I am also trying to detail the engine bay, as it will be visible once finished and engine removed.

PICT0138.jpg

PICT0137.jpg

PICT0138.jpg

And the engine bay detail with a coat of black.

IMG_1296.jpg

IMG_1299.jpg

IMG_1298.jpg

A little surgery was required to graft the kit intake top to the Aires wheel bay, which is turn becomes the intake trunk bottom. This then attaches to the forward wall of the engine bay. The wheel bay is yet to be permanently attached, but it looks like it will work without any dramas.

Finished the engine bay detail and about to join the top and bottom halves, finally!

IMG_1373.jpg

IMG_1372.jpg

IMG_1371.jpg

IMG_1370.jpg

Not all of it will be seen, but I know its there. The joining of the intakes didn't go as planned, so it may not have the nicest view down the pipe from the rear, but I am over it.

Thanks for looking.

Due to the beautiful fit of this kit, the rest of the build has gone surprisingly quick. All major components assembled, minor amounts of CA for a few marks (self induced).

I added the Cross Delta plates for a Block 40 machine I am doing from a set of Afterburner decals - here the one at the bottom. (link didn't work as planned, the Black Widow aircraft, 509)

The 10 plates added are beautiful. PE with rivet detail, but self adhesive (better than any Eduard self adhesive) with a clear layer over the top for positioning. I still added a few drops of CA which was recommended, but it was a breeze to install. Perfectly sized also.

IMG_1383.jpg

IMG_1382.jpg

IMG_1384.jpg

IMG_1385.jpg

IMG_1386.jpg

She is all masked up and ready for some pre shading...

Thanks for looking.

Edited by macbain

Beautiful work! I really love the engine bay detail...It is exquisite! One minor suggestion. The Cross Delta plates are awesome, but I have heard from others (Jake Melampy among them) that they are a little on the thin side for 1/32. The real plates are quite thick. So, I know when I do mine (a Hill bird as well), I'm going to put two sets on...One on top of the other. Again, just a suggestion.

Aaron

Beautiful work! I really love the engine bay detail...It is exquisite! One minor suggestion. The Cross Delta plates are awesome, but I have heard from others (Jake Melampy among them) that they are a little on the thin side for 1/32. The real plates are quite thick. So, I know when I do mine (a Hill bird as well), I'm going to put two sets on...One on top of the other. Again, just a suggestion.

Aaron

This may be true, but I am more than happy with the result thus far. I can always exaggerate the plates with more of a wash than the surrounding areas. The double plate idea would work quite easily also.

Thanks for the suggestion. :thumbsup:

• 3 months later...