Shchuka-B (Akula class)

after a long long time I'm returning back to some maritime modelling, this time with Soviet/Russian attack submarine Scuka-B (NATO Akula)

box shot

_BEN5526s.jpg

box shot detail - I guess there are some top secret thingies molded :D

_BEN5526crop.jpg

fuselage halves closed

01s.jpg

more progress when I return from holidays

Edited by Sebastijan

Hehe, when i first read the topic title, i thought it was "Suka", which means "B*tch" in Russian. I was a bit surprised you build *that* kind of a model. :woot.gif: To be entirely correct, the name should be "Shuka".

Anyway, this is a b*tch*n' sub, look forward to see paint on it. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Nice build.... I find that warning on the box top to be humorous, hope you don't get in trouble for posting pics of the model on a western website :)

I do find it interesting to note the design differences between western and Russian attack subs, this one looks pretty "mean".

Looking forward to seeing it painted.

yeah, mean is best word, I guess. Same goes with their ships.

Some progress

preshading, using black and brown colours

05s.jpg

and followed by the red for lower hull. Photo makes the preshading stand out a bit more than a naked eye and the effect is bit more subtle... but the weathering ain't over yet :D

06s.jpg

Edited by Sebastijan

Nothing to critique - really nice job on this. Looks like a sweet little kit (and would look good next to mt Typhoon and Alfa). Love to get one (but as I'm in the West, don't feel like being charged with espionage!)

Grant

Looks awesome! :thumbsup: Not a critique, but i have to wonder if the prop is that small in real life. :blink:

Btw, a month later i got reply from Bronco models: Borey is due to be out next month. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Great work Sebastijan - love the 'weathering' effect :worship:

I've just bought the Bronco models Akula II version - as soon as the IPMS show at Telford is over, I'll make a start on it - plus some of my other 1:350 scale subs - during the winter months.

Interesting to find that you are a closet submarine modeller - along with Berkut and a few others....

Cheers :cheers:

Ken

Interesting to find that you are a closet submarine modeller - along with Berkut and a few others....

Cheers :cheers:

Ken

Not just yet Ken! :)

I am waiting for Bronco Borey, that will be my first sub model. I have always been interested in subs, just never got around buying and building one. Btw, Hobby Boss will make Yasen class next year, in case you missed that. :thumbsup:

Nice and realistic - the weathering really turns a toy into a model!

What does Shchuka mean? I had a teacher at the uni with that surname. (Not as much a tongue-twister as you'd think if one recalls how "ciao" was originally pronounced...)

'

"

From Wiki...... "Shchuka" is Russian for pike.

Ken

Awesome build, Sebastijan!

Nice build.... I find that warning on the box top to be humorous, hope you don't get in trouble for posting pics of the model on a western website :)

That's what you get when you don't pay professional advertisers. Somebody in the company's office comes up with that as an advertising gimmick.

If I recall correctly, I think Admiral Rickover pretended to be annoyed about one of the 1960s U.S. sub kits being supposedly a security breach. He, too, had a strong P.T. Barnum streak in him, this time going in reverse: anything to get the navy's nuclear program some press.

Thanks guys!

Well yeah Ken, I also have sub addiction :D

Just got a surprise kit from my editor, Le Triomphant SSBN, while in my stash reside Oscar II, Alfa, Hotel, and Borey (should get it any day now), I'm on a search for Typhoon and Delta IV, while there are also Ohio and LA subs in my stash - all 1:350... and a German diesel U212A in 1:144...

oh and unfortunately I won't be able to visit Telford this year :(

Edited by Sebastijan