Reno Air Race Crash

TV news just reported it saying a plane just crashed near the grandstands and people are injured. No details other than that yet...

Pray it's not too bad.

Jimmy Leeword flying the Galloping Ghost

On-83-Galloping-Ghost.jpg

Edited by Zactoman

Such a tragedy.

From the video it looks like the plane comes pretty much straight down into the crowd, whilst the others turned left to round the corner. I wonder what happened? Not saying we should speculate, the facts will come out...but it looked strange.

My thoughts go out to the families of the killed and injured.

Ken

The local news is saying 12 dead and at least 80 injured. A friend of mine who was there said the pilot declared an emergency and pulled up and out there was a boom and the plane rolled over and went in nose first on to the tarmac in the midst of the box seating. FWIW the speculation is that a trim tab broke pitching the tail up causing plane to nose in.

i think the cooling system let go and i saw on video that the sound the plane made be for it hit was one i have never heard before ...ever but i do plan to build a model of this plane as a tribute to jimmy Leeward and the galloping ghost. may they fly of to heaven together

These photos were taken just before impact. And you can not see Leeward at all. Perhaps collaped in the cockpit. I was just at Stead Airport last weekend for the Reno High Rollers model contest and watched some of the AT-6 and unlimited planes practicing just overhead. My prayers are with the victims. MP

P-51 before crash

It looks link the rear stab trim tab is gone in this shot. Again no sign of the pilot except maybe his head fully forward against the dash. Sad..

P-51 before impact

Edited by GForceSS

Sad day in Reno. A friend's sister and dad were in the boxes hit. They left 8 minutes before the crash to go look at a static. I had planned to be there but decided not to go wed night. Several people around our seats were killed and hurt...

Tough to see those pictures...

Brian

These photos were taken just before impact. And you can not see Leeward at all. Perhaps collaped in the cockpit. I was just at Stead Airport last weekend for the Reno High Rollers model contest and watched some of the AT-6 and unlimited planes practicing just overhead. My prayers are with the victims. MP

P-51 before crash

It looks link the rear stab trim tab is gone in this shot. Again no sign of the pilot except maybe his head fully forward against the dash. Sad..

P-51 before impact

I am just kind of amazed that even with the full loss of a trim tab that the plane would still go out of control like that. The side shot to me looks like it is a picture of the plane parked, but with it photoshopped to look like it is in flight (such as for a program book). Reason being is the elevator is totally level and the propeller is straight up and down, not even slightly cocked to one side (statistical improbability that a picture would capture it THAT perfect if it were moving). And of course there is the down tail wheel (in the videos I've seen, the tail wheel looked retracted to me).

I am naturally thinking about the people killed and injured obviously (latest numbers I've read were 3 dead, 75 injured with 53 of those transported by ambulance and the rest taken in private cars). Of course that number will likely change though. It could have been MUCH MUCH worse. The aftermath from this in the airshow and air race community is not going to be good, but lets hope whatever changes do happen that it will lessen the likelyhood that anything like this can happen in the future.

Edited by Jay Chladek

Incredible, I have been to Reno twice in the past 6 years and love watching the races. We usually sit up higher on the bleachers to get better pictures. This is diffently sad and my prayers go out to all the families that are having to suffer thru this.

Robert

That is such a horrific crash.MY condolences and sympathies for the families of those killed

and injured and to the elderly pilot's family and colleagues too.

Truly a very bad day.

MY prayers to everyone that was there... :pray::pray::pray:

Edited by HOLMES

The side shot to me looks like it is a picture of the plane parked, but with it photoshopped to look like it is in flight (such as for a program book). Reason being is the elevator is totally level and the propeller is straight up and down, not even slightly cocked to one side (statistical improbability that a picture would capture it THAT perfect if it were moving). And of course there is the down tail wheel (in the videos I've seen, the tail wheel looked retracted to me).

Well here's another shot before the impact where it's pretty clear that the tail wheel was down and again no sign of the pilot in the cockpit. Plus the weather is right for the above pictures.

What a tragic year for airshows.

IF6O1.jpg