Good Polishing compound that won't eat paint?

Anyone know of a polishing compound that does not contain a solvent that eats enamel pint? I have got some Tamiya "Fine" and some "Finish." They contain a solvent and if you leave them on too long while you are working, the will start to dissolve enamel paint. Tamiya polishes might be intended for their acrylic paint line.

I have some Testors gloss black that I want to polish a bit before putting on Alclad.

Novus Fine Scratch Remover and Novus Plastic Polish cleaner. Ive used it on enamels, acrylics, lacquers, and water colors.

Agree with Novus#2.

All polishes contain a solvent, Novus happens to use water as its solvent. It works best if you sand the finish first. First with a 2000 grit, followed up by 4000 and finished with Novus #2. That should be more than enough for Alclad.

I have some Testors gloss black that I want to polish a bit before putting on Alclad.

Hi, DutyCat,

Testors gloss black is really "self-polished" enough as base for Alclad, but if you really need additional shine, I suggest you to use tooth paste (the white type works better). Just use it as you'd with other compounds.

Than a good wash and you are ready for Alclad.

Regards

Euge

Ditto on Novus. I just finished a C-46 and finished it with a coat of Pollyscale clear flat thinned with a little bit of distilled water. I got the dreaded frost on the finish. It wasn't real bad, but the model was going to a WWII vet that made a lot of jumps out of C-46's and C-47's, and there was no way he would get a model like that. I polished it out with Novus #10 and it cleared up the frost, but gave it a finish somewhere between a satin and flat. It actually looked pretty good. I let it set for a couple of weeks to make sure that the Novus finish wasn't temporary.

Hi, DutyCat,

Testors gloss black is really "self-polished" enough as base for Alclad, but if you really need additional shine, I suggest you to use tooth paste (the white type works better). Just use it as you'd with other compounds.

Than a good wash and you are ready for Alclad.

Regards

Euge

Well, THAT is some good advice. I already ordered some Novus.

The problem with gloss is where the spray goes down wet, it is okay, but there is the atomized overspray on the edges of the spray pattern which is not so smooth. Gotta get it all looking completely even. I also have some minor dust here and there which settled on the surface. I am using Alclad Chrome on a Beech 18, so I need it super smooth.

Edited by DutyCat

I've been meaning to ask for awhile - has anyone used Barkeeper's Friend to polish plastic, paint, or anything else? It makes our pots and pans look awesome, so I thought it might have some use in modeling but might be too aggressive for most applications....

Anyone know of a polishing compound that does not contain a solvent that eats enamel pint? I have got some Tamiya "Fine" and some "Finish." They contain a solvent and if you leave them on too long while you are working, the will start to dissolve enamel paint. Tamiya polishes might be intended for their acrylic paint line.

I just use a polishing stick and a little water. When you use compounds, you have the added task of removing any of the residue they leave behind.