Their Nimitz kits are by far the best carriers in 1/700, the Kiev is not as good but still a good starting base. The misouri (Although I did not build this one yet, just looked at the sprues) is great too. All are miles ahead of the Italeri/Revell kits in that scale, which are 20/30 years old.

Add a Gold Medal Modelfret and you have a winner :) (I'm not related to them in any way but their PE sets are just beautiful)

The only downside is the decal sheets and I would strongly advise you to get after-market decals, either from GMM again or from Starfighter Decals

Good luck,

Arnaud

• 4 weeks later...

It depends on which kit it is, but overall they are great kits and used to be really well priced. Unfortunately, as their molds have improved, the prices have skyrocketed up to the level of a Skywave. Very often, as with their aircraft kits, Trumpeter makes a few accuracy mistakes on the kit. The issues on their 1/700 kits aren't as glaring as the 1/350 kits can be due to the small size involved typically.

One really great thing about Trumpeters 1/700 ship range is that they are tackling ships that most mainstream injection plastic manufacturers have ignored for years. The have released several ships that until now had only been available in resin kit form and for $100 or more in many cases. Their Littorio class Italian battleships are the most recent example of this, but their Richelieu class French battleships kits were also examples. Others were the Sacremento supply ships, the Baltimore class heavy cruisers and the Russian Slava class cruisers.

As mentioned previously, their Nimitz class carriers are the best in 1/700 and feature a full internal hanger deck. They're expensive at around $100 a pop retail cost but if you want a top-notch 1/700 Nimitz, they're the way to go.