New commander for Enterprise

http://annistonstar.com/view/full_story/15542627/article-Anniston-man-takes-command-of-the-U-S-S--Enterprise?instance=top_center_featured

I sincerely hope Enterprise becomes a museum somewhere after this. I shudder to think that they might scrap a piece of history that was the first of her kind.

I sincerely hope Enterprise becomes a museum somewhere after this. I shudder to think that they might scrap a piece of history that was the first of her kind.

I thought I read somewhere that it might be hard/impossible to make a museum out of her because of how much stuff they will have to rip out when they remove the reactors.

I thought I read somewhere that it might be hard/impossible to make a museum out of her because of how much stuff they will have to rip out when they remove the reactors.

It would be very difficult to make the Big E a museum for much the reason you mention. It would be very hard to de-nuke her while making her completely safe in all aspects for visitors. Besides, the upkeep of such a large ship would be an enormous financial burden and I'm not sure who besides the US Navy themselves would be able to cover such cost (especially in this economic climate).

Off the top of my head, I think the USS Nautilus at the sub museum on the base in Groton, CT may be the only former USN nuke propelled ship to have been made into a museum. And that one is partially or wholly funded by the USN I believe.

As much as I hate the idea, I expect they'll have to scrap her. Look at the effort and hassle and cost it took to put the Oriskany on the bottom, and that was entirely without the nuke issue.

I'm sure by this time next year we'll all be thinking of her as we shave with our new glow in the dark razors........

To quote Picard, "This will not be the last ship to bear the name Enterprise" -- end of an era perhaps, but the name will live on. You can't NOT have a carrier or leading ship of the line named Enterprise. We've been using the name since before we were a country. We will continue to do so!

I think it's possible, given the right situation, but it's probably wild optimism on my part. I just wish they could make it happen, if only to make up for unceremoniously scrapping the CV-6 back in the fifties.

I saw her at Norfolk a few weeks back, and she looked a bit worn out. She had a lot of wear showing around the waterline, similar to the Kennedy just before she was retired. I read somewhere that the maintenance on the Kennedy got pretty lax prior to her last deployment. Enterprise is still a big, impressive, proud ship, but she looked like she needed a fresh coat of paint.

To quote Picard, "This will not be the last ship to bear the name Enterprise" -- end of an era perhaps, but the name will live on. You can't NOT have a carrier or leading ship of the line named Enterprise. We've been using the name since before we were a country. We will continue to do so!

If only...but carriers are named for politicians now and the historic names of great ships are falling by the wayside.

If only...but carriers are named for politicians now and the historic names of great ships are falling by the wayside.

To me capital ship names are supposed to be for the nation. To inspire, by suggesting a thought deed or quality, (Invincible, Enterprise), invoke pride (Australia, Moskva), or commemorate imporant events (Guadalcanal), not be phalic replacements for individuals no matter what they did in their lives. Now there most certianly have been some politicians around the world who have presided over and participated in momentous events in history and duely deserve to be celebrated, and there are others who are/will be remembered for little more than various forms of naughty conduct, wrestling a bear shirtless, or stripping their country bear and buggering off to somewhere without an extradition treaty for the rest of their luxurious lives.

Save the big ship names for the nation. Smaller warships like Cruisers, Destroyers and Frigates can ablely remember the person.

Who wouldn't like to see the next USS Enterprise, or HMS Warspite sailing majestically into harbour and proudly showing the flag?