1/72 Revell Atlantis-OV-104 finished!

Revell 1/72 scale Atlantis.

Lots of reworking...the tail - OMS pods ends needs serious correcting.

Still working on her Landing gears and doors with added details.

Just finished clear coating her after decalling.

OV104LeftSideV.jpg

ShuttleMainWing.jpg

ShuttleRightNoseC.jpg

Landing gear doors still needs working and detailing.

ShuttleRightR.jpg

Edited by jetplane

Thank you Mike,

What's holding me back is the landing gears....there's a lot to be done with the inner surface of the doors and bay.

I've close up references inside the L.Bay-doors..it seems to be covered by Mylar or alluminium foils.

The shuttle needs to be weather-down a bit since it is a latter meatball-version, I'll do that later after the gears are done.

Atlantis here is depict as in landing with her rudder split open and I planned to mount her in a base / diorama setting.

Edited by jetplane

George, did you know that there's a new aftermarket offering from Fisher Models? OMS and SSME engine bells, and more coming.

Are the decals the kit's? Or your own ... not the tile ID decals, but the flipper doors, for instance.

Are you going to accurize the landing gear with more links, and brake lines? And on the nose, is that a decal for the air data probe? And do I see the kit's tile detail on the fuselage aft of the crew module?

I do love the subtle tonal paint variation you use ... it makes for a nice, clean model.

Thanx

Pete

Okay George, enough showing off. ;)

Very nice Atlantis there. I love the worn paint effects on the wings and the AFRSI stencils. You should put it on a runway base with the chute compartment open and just call it "Wheels Stop Houston." BTW, how come you left on the molded on tile detail on the sides of the fuselage and the OMS pods?

Edited by Jay Chladek

Thanks Guys,

This Big shuttle is my first Revell build.

Some of decals I use are made from assorted spares cut and used. the rest is a old set I've and real Space models..Monogram's.

As far as cockpit windows is concerned, I know you guys are wondering..I've scanned a copy to Mike (Crowe-t).

He has created a set with better details...I think you can jump at him if you want a set..ha!!ha!! :woot.gif:

I think Mike is able to make them in 1/72 or 1/144 scale.

Yes, I'll be adding hydraulic lines..brakes and stuff in the landing bay...that's what keeping me busy with this Shuttle.The rest is almost complete.

i've a set of RSM resin SSMe ready to mount once everything is completed.

Jay, I wanted to replicate some sort of TPS on the fuselage do a bit weathering, so I left out the small raised patterns..the Revell nose section is too large and wrong size so I sanded them off.

Speaking of drag chute...anybody know how to make them..? It has crossed my mind to create this shuttle with the chute deployed..but I can't figure it out how to make one..

George

Edited by jetplane

Speaking of drag chute...anybody know how to make them..? It has crossed my mind to create this shuttle with the chute deployed..but I can't figure it out how to make one..

George

Inflated or resting on the ground?

If deployed and on the ground, aluminum foil or some other flimsy material.

If deployed and full of air ... it may look a little 'hokey' because it'll need to be supported by something stiff like fine piano wire, which may look quite outta scale. But I was toying with an idea like this awhile ago and thought of using a large spherical Xmas tree ornament. I found some cheap ones that were 3.5" and 4.0" in diameter. Either use them as the chute or as a form to make one.

And on this shuttle model, you've got the "no step" stencils on the wing ( which I hadn't noticed before) but not on the 'flipper doors'. Just an FYI.

Keep us posted

Pete

Pete,

which part on the Flipper doors?

how many markings there?

Mind if you can show some pictures to it? i know the tiny markings are very hard to see from the Shuttle pictures...only at very close up.

This shuttle is not quite finish yet so I've had time to do minor correction. Thanks.

George

I can't locate the reference photo, on NASA's site, so the next best thing is my own shot from my Cutaway model ...

SS-Flipperdoordecals.jpg

George, if you look thru NASA's site, at the photos for the Pitch Maneuver, there should be some nice shots of the wings. And I do have a good photo on my own hard drive and the "No Step' stencils on your model's wings, don't look to be "No Step", but just tile ID's.

I'll try to locate the original photo and post it here for ya.

Just found one ... here ya go ...

http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/gallery/images/shuttle/sts-135/hires/iss028e015396.jpg

Pete

Edited by K2Pete

Thanks a lot Pete for the guide and reference,

I don't have any red and smaller 'no step' decals for it...Or I think I can find some in my 1/144 airliners models spare.

Anyone can custom make this decals?

nyway I'll deal on that later once i finish working on her Landing gears..

George

• 3 weeks later...

I can't locate the reference photo, on NASA's site, so the next best thing is my own shot from my Cutaway model ...

SS-Flipperdoordecals.jpg

George, if you look thru NASA's site, at the photos for the Pitch Maneuver, there should be some nice shots of the wings. And I do have a good photo on my own hard drive and the "No Step' stencils on your model's wings, don't look to be "No Step", but just tile ID's.

I'll try to locate the original photo and post it here for ya.

Just found one ... here ya go ...

http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/gallery/images/shuttle/sts-135/hires/iss028e015396.jpg

Pete

Hi Pete

I've learn that RealSpacemodel both 1/72 & 1/144 updated decal set includes the 'No Step' on the wing flipper panels.

Here's the link

http://www.realspacemodels.com/html/decals.htm

I'll get a few set from Glenn of RSM for my shuttles soon.

George

Yeah Mark,

I left them off to do some color variations & weathering later on. I find it has nice effect, using some tape materials

as AFRSI makes them fuselage looks thicker and somewhat out of scale.

I'll see what can I do to replicate AFRSI in my next 1/72 Shuttle project.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 8 years later...

GREAT to see your post George!! Long time ... no see!     :wave:

The model looks gor-r-rgeous ... but, did you post just post 3 images?

When I click on your links, Photobucket doesn't let me click on the arrows on the sides to view other images ... but those 3 images are certainly a lovely teaser!

... but I'd love to see more ...    :rolleyes:

Pete

Hi Pete,

Thanks, nice to hear from you again..

Unfortunately now I'm unable to post photobucket pictures directly to this forum.

So a link is the means to view the photos.

Yes, I still continue to build Shuttles model if I have time.

NASA Shuttle programme have ended & their fleets are retired, Sadly this 1/72 shuttle will soon find a new home with its new owner.🤧

I also have a Tamiya 1/100 Shuttle almost getting ready for painting various shades of the TPS & FRSI.

Great to see you still post Shuttle too & other models.

Cheers & take care..

George

George,

Excellent job on this one.  This is one of my favorite shuttles you built.  

You can load pictures directly on this forum and not have to use Photobucket.  It's easier.

Mike.

23 hours ago, crowe-t said:

George,

Excellent job on this one.  This is one of my favorite shuttles you built.  

You can load pictures directly on this forum and not have to use Photobucket.  It's easier.

Mike.

And above all, it looks much better! up040577.gif