WIP: 1/35 UH-60A MedEvac

My latest project is a 1/35 UH-60L UH-60A MedEvac (I have been informed all active duty MedEvacs are still A models). I have wanted to build one for a long time, but wasn't brave enough to try to scratch the litter courossel and other MedEvac-specific parts. Now that there is a conversion set and decals for them from Werner's Wings, I decided to tackle it. I haven't decided which aircraft I will do off the WW decal set yet. I think it will be the 3 ID one, but I am also considering the USFK helo with external tanks and the yellow stripes. I'll decide on markings later. On to the build...

I am using the Academy UH-60A/L kit as a base. To it, I am adding the Werner's Wings UH-60 MedEvac Interior conversion, Eduard Interior and Exterior PE sets, parts of Cobra Company's UH-60L Correction and Deatail set (rear wall, gunner's bulkheads, A/C outlets, and step-fairing extensions), and parts from Cobra Company's UH-60 Detail Set. I will be using Werner's Wings Blackhawk Decal set as well.

Here are some of the above items.

WW Blackhawk MedEvac Interior:

werners-wings-35-08-Medevac-Blackhawk-00.jpg

werners-wings-35-08-Medevac-Blackhawk-02.jpg

WW Blackhawk Decals:

01.jpg

So far, I have been working on the MedEvac parts and the interior. I have built the WW litter caroussel with a few additions. After looking over my UH-60L MedEvac pics at Prime Portal, I notices a few missing details.

UH-60A%20MedEvac%20Blackhawk%20006.jpg

Mainly, these were the two D-shaped handles on the ends that lock it in place and allow the caroussel to rotate. Also missing are the seat belts to hold th elitters on and the buckles on the outside rails of the litter trays. I added these items, using shovel handles for the lock handles, and Eduard seat belts from the interior set for the belts. I also added a lever on each end of the litter tray that locks it in place onto the caroussel.

IMG_0107.jpg

IMG_0108.jpg

I also printed up some of the more prominent stencils on computer decal paper to add some more details.

I worked on the cockpit using Cobra Company's center console, collectives, and a few other bits. I also used the Eduard pre-painted IP, which is the first time I have used them. I like how it went together and how it looks. I think it came out pretty nicely.

IMG_0112.jpg

I used the gunners' bulkheads from CC's UH-60L Corrections and Detail set as opposed to the ones that come in the WW MedEvac set. I think CC's looks better and are more detailed. I am also a little biased since I mastered CC's as well. Some say they are too big in the upper, rounded portion. They are the exact size and shape as ones I measured in Blackhawks. The issue seems to be seat placement. If you angle the pilots' seat sback too far, they will interfere with the bulkheads. If placed correctly, they fit perfectly. Here they are.

IMG_0110.jpg

Lastly, I have detailed the cabin ceiling with the tranmission drip pan from Eduard's PE set, again, it is better detailed than the one in WW's set. I cut off the courossel bracket from the WW interior set and added it to the Eduard piece. I also added the drain lines from wires. I also added the mounting brackets for the central seat support rod, which of course is not used with the MedEvac interior.

IMG_0109.jpg

That is all so far. I will post more as I get further along.

Thanks for looking and as always, all comments are welcomed.

Edited by HeavyArty

Thanks guys. I am enjoying this build so far. Still working on the cabin. I think I will add a crew as well, along with CMK's USMC Iraq figures carrying a litter and patient to the helo. I am thinking about having the helo landed on a road in Iraq for a MedEvac pickup.

Thanks guys. I am enjoying this build so far. Still working on the cabin. I think I will add a crew as well, along with CMK's USMC Iraq figures carrying a litter and patient to the helo. I am thinking about having the helo landed on a road in Iraq for a MedEvac pickup.

Gino,

You probably already know about these fiqures.

A helicopter on an Iraqi road might need some security!

Maybe a couple of them might be useful for your dio?

Pete Brown

http://www.mbltd.info/3591.htm

http://www.mbltd.info/3575.htm

http://www.soga-miniatures.com/index.php?productID=20053

http://www.planetfigure.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42721

http://www.blackdog.cz/products/fig/f35006/1.jpg

Pete - Thanks. Those PMC gus look great. That would be an interesting dio too. I haven't decided on figs yet.

Avus - Thanks. I use PE every now and then. I figured I would try all the sets for this one. I find I am only using a small portion of them though, mainly the seat belts and a few other interior parts. I still don't like the flatness and non-dimensionality of most of the parts.

Norbert - Thanks for checking in. I hope mine comes out as good as yours. I will be leaving the HIRSS as is though. I don't want to put that much effort into them. They look close enough for me.

Hi John. Thanks for the comments. The decals were made by me using computer decal paper from the larger stencils on the corousel in the pic above. I actually made all the decals I could, but the rest were just too small to see. The ones on there are only in a font of 1 and 2 for the larger letters. They are really small too.

Looking great Gino, I knew you’d be the first to start one before me…I know you love to build them Blackhawks.

As for the two D-shaped handles on the ends that lock it in place and allow the carousel to rotate, I did make them up initially but decided not to add them as the D handles were to small to cast and the carousel rods were easier to make up using sprue or rod.

I need to contact Floyd on the issue which was something I forgot to mention.

As to the bulkhead, I took the measurements from the Medevac Blackhawk that I got the rest of the reference from.

Again looking super and will check in on this.

Happy Modeling,

Joe

Thanks Joe. The set is great. The improvements I made are just things I think it looked better with. As to the bulkheads, like I said, I am a little biased toward the CC ones. Maybe there are a couple different types of bulkhead covers too. No sweat though. It is a great set and I appreciate the effort you put into it. Thanks.

Edited by HeavyArty

I need to contact Floyd on the issue which was something I forgot to mention.

OK now I'm concerned. LOL

Gino, it is looking good. I love the carousel. Guess I should have added those markings on my stencil sheet. Oh well I'll get the hang of this eventually. LOL Keep up the great work.

Floyd

Edited by Floyd S. Werner, Jr.

Thanks Floyd. The decals would be nice as part of the set, but like I said, they are small and can hardly be read. The better addition would be the seat belts and D-shaped handles on the sides.

Edited by HeavyArty

Hi Erick - Thanks for the info. I guess I won't use the CC widened step sponsons then. Good to know. Let me know if there is anything else you see that needs correcting or updating. Any reason the MedEvacs have not been upgraded to L models?

Yeah cause Medevac is the red headed step children, hahaha. The reason is that Aviation Branch wanted the "L" for the assault role. But now that the HH-60M is out then the Med finally gets a decent Blackhawk.

Hi Erick - Thanks for the info. I guess I won't use the CC widened step sponsons then. Good to know. Let me know if there is anything else you see that needs correcting or updating. Any reason the MedEvacs have not been upgraded to L models?