WIP: 1/35 UH-60A MedEvac

Progress continues on my MedEvac helo. Not much of an update this week.

I have added a few decals to the interior. The Werner's Wings stencils have a few unique ones. They include NO HAND HOLD decals for the IP hood, NO STEP markings for the tops of the collective boxes, and the door inner stenciling. They are all very small and in perfect register, very nice. They are hard to see in the pics, but trust me, they look great, much better than the kit versions. I also added a few avionics boxes under the seats.

IMG_01122.jpg

Here are the doors and the pilots' armor panels. I used the Eduard door PE and handles for the armor, along with some thin solder for the cables.

IMG_0114.jpg

I also built the rear seats that will be folded up along the rear bulkhead. I used the kit parts and folded them up, then added Eduard seat belts to hold them in place. I also added the kit decal for the back of the seat and a couple red crosses for the First Aid kits.

IMG_0113.jpg

This will probably be the last update for a while. I have ankle surgery tomorrow and will be laid up for a while. Wish me luck.

Edited by HeavyArty

Hey Gino just fyi, all medevac birds are "A" models. There maybe a few guard "L" models but all active duty are "A". Looks awesome man got to start mine here soon. Erick

Never say never with the Army Eric I fly L models with a big red cross on the side here at Riley. So really it comes down to who Gino wants to model after. I do agree that most are the A+ or "FrankenHawks" with the 701C installed but there are some Dustoff flying L.

Gino,

Its looking great just add some worn-out looking Yellow Tags on the first aid kits to make them complete. Also if you are going for an A-stan version then take out the carousel, its too much un-necessary weight.

Stay safe and keep the greasey side down.

Dan

Edited by Rotor_head_Dan

See that is new information, good to know, thanks Dan for the update. I never knew why we didnt get L models anyway esp in the stan. But we faired pretty well anyway, who are some of the guys in the unit? Probably know a few. Erick

Never say never with the Army Eric I fly L models with a big red cross on the side here at Riley. So really it comes down to who Gino wants to model after. I do agree that most are the A+ or "FrankenHawks" with the 701C installed but there are some Dustoff flying L.

Gino,

Its looking great just add some worn-out looking Yellow Tags on the first aid kits to make them complete. Also if you are going for an A-stan version then take out the carousel, its too much un-necessary weight.

Stay safe and keep the greasey side down.

Dan

One CE and one Medic is standard SOP, unless it is a really bad one then you can have several medics, but that limits the amount of work space in the back. I have seen Doc's fly more than another Medic, but it just depends on the mission. The medics job is really to stabilize until you can get the patient to the next level of care.

My recovery from ankle surgery is going well. I am able o sit at the bench for while now, so I have made some progress.

I have pretty much completed the interior. I added the folded seats to the rear wall, along with the back board out of the Werner's Wings MedEvac set. I added the seat retainer wires from the Eduard PE, and used dry transfer numbers to label the backboard w/the aircraft's tail code.

IMG_0115.jpg

I also completed the crew chiefs' seats with Eduard PE belts and retaining wires, and dry transfers again.

IMG_0117.jpg

I added gear to the litter carousel. The orange and dark green bags are from the WW set. The OD medic bag is from the Dragon US Special Forces set. I also added another backboard from Pro Arts' DUMVEE set, and the litters from the WW set.

IMG_0125.jpg

IMG_0126.jpg

On the doors, I added the emergency release handle (yellow knobs). Everything was also weathered with a dirty-brown/sandy wash.

IMG_0116.jpg

Lastly, I put a flight crew in it. The pilots are from Academy's OH-58D kit. They are the best modern(ish) pilots in plastic. They come molded with the seat belts on them, which is a nice feature. All I added to them are the circular belt releases and the belts from their shoulders to the seats. A also added home-printed shoulder and helmet patches. I changed out the heads for ones with current HGU-56P helmets with NVG mounts that I got from a fellow modeler. I love the helmets.

IMG_0121.jpg

IMG_0120.jpg

IMG_0119.jpg

IMG_0123.jpg

I thought this pic would be interesting, an exploded interior view.

IMG_0118.jpg

As usual, all comments welcomed and thanks for looking.

A couple questions for Erick and Dan - When did the CEs' face shields come into use? I want to build pre-ACU crew (bacuase I don't want to paint them), so I figure pre-'06ish? What weapons does the crew usually carry; M9s, M16A2s, M4s, etc. and where are they stored during flight?

Edited by HeavyArty

Wow, what great work. Those serial number stencils really add a nice touch to the interior. Are you going to add some of the additional ASE gear that started to appear in this time frame (the missile warning sensors and extra flare buckets)? What about the single piece pilot's side windows?

Yeah thats about right, some guys had them and some didnt, back in 04-05 when I was there so that is ok. Yep all crew had M-9's and Crewchief and Medic has M-4's or A2's. Some pilots had M-4's and we would stow them by the seats nest to the door. Looks kickin bro really nice. Here is me with my M-4 pulling guard for my medic at an ambush site "near" the Pak border

sal-sep04021-1.jpg

Thanks Erick, good info and great pic. It raises another question though. When was the pic taken? I was planning on using the one-piece windows with the small, round vent. I thought most have been MWO'ed to this type.

You can have either, This was 04-05, I have flown with one door with the circular vent and one door with the dairy queen window, still have them at Rucker like that now. Most UH-60L's have the newer windows and all of the M's have the newer window. All it is, is that window can be pulled out if you land in the water. So if you are going to do it on your model, make it be sure to add the red strap on the front framing of the door. Look awesome keep it up