WIP: 1/35 UH-60A MedEvac

Some guys never give up. It looks like you still have your same attitude. I am sorry you can't take a little constructive criticism and some questions on your Huey build and I am not among your worshipers. By the way, I haven't even posted in your thread in almost a year, man. I guess you just can't let it go. :deadhorse1::deadhorse1:

I was actually going to fix it after I looked at it; since it looks like easy fixes. Maybe now I'll leave it as is just to screw with you.

Then again, I like to actually finish my builds, as accurately as possible, as opposed to constantly tearing them down and starting over again and again for minor issues.

Mine is still far more accurate than your Huey will ever be. :monkeydance:

Edited by HeavyArty

Some jerks never give up. It looks like you still have your same dumbass attitude. I am sorry you can't take a little constructive criticism and some questions on your Huey build and I am not among your worshipers. By the way, I haven't even posted in your thread in almost a year, man. I guess you just can't let it go. :deadhorse1::deadhorse1:

I was actually going to fix it after I looked at it; since it looks like easy fixes. Maybe now I'll leave it as is just to screw with you.

Then again, I like to actually finish my builds, as accurately as possible, as opposed to constantly tearing them down and starting over again and again for minor issues.

Mine is still far more accurate than your Huey abortion will ever be. So screw off, jackass. :monkeydance:

Touchy-touchy, LOL , Made my day.

Oliver

Doh, sorry man I didnt see it sooner, hahah. Still looks kickin, really great work your doing Gino, keep it up cant wait to see the paintjob, if you need pics of my bird in Afghanistan or Iraq let me know I'll send you them Erick

Thanks Erick. Oh well, a little too late. I painted it today. I guess it is close enough. I'm working on the Werner's Wings decals now. They are very nice and snug down easily. There are a bunch of them though. Plugging away...

Oliver - Glad I gave you something to laugh about. You seem like you need all the help you can get.

Rod - Thanks. It's coming along and I am enjoying this one.

Erick - Thanks, I looked and the CMWS and APRs will be an easy fix. The HIRSS support rod may have to stay due to the incorrect geometry of the kit HIRSS (which I am electing no to fix). If the rod comes almost straight down as in the pic, it interferes with the cargo doors. Another question for you as well. When did the EIBFs first start showing up? I wanted to keep this as an earlier (pre-ACUs) Iraq dio. I am worried that with the EIBFs, it is a later dio now. I really don't want to paint ACUs on the grunts.

Edited by HeavyArty

Oliver - Glad I gave you something to laugh about. You seem like you need all the help you can get.

Rod - Thanks. It's coming along and I am enjoying this one.

Erick - Thanks, I looked and the CMWS and APRs will be an easy fix. The HIRSS support rod may have to stay due to the incorrect geometry of the kit HIRSS (which I am electing no to fix). If the rod comes almost straight down as in the pic, it interferes with the cargo doors. Another question for you as well. When did the EIBFs first start showing up? I wanted to keep this as an earlier (pre-ACUs) Iraq dio. I am worried that with the EIBFs, it is a later dio now. I really don't want to paint ACUs on the grunts.

This points out a need for a comprehensive 1/35 UH-60 update kit. It'd be great to have all the latest ASE gear, the filters, all the new antennas, M240's, etc in a single resin set. Not having seen the kit first hand, would it be possible to address the issues with the HIRSS via new resin parts?

Regards,

John

John,

I'm not sure it could be fixed with just a resin set. Norbert addressed and rebuilt the HIRSS on his UH-60A MedEvac here, it starts about half way down the page. There are also issues with the door strack and a few other shape issues in that area.

Edited by HeavyArty

John,

I'm not sure it could be fixed with just a resin set. Norbert addressed and rebuilt the HIRSS on his UH-60A MedEvac here, it starts about half way down the page. There are also issues with the door strack and a few other shape issues in that area.

Yikes, a fix like that is out of my realm. Kudos to Norbert for such a comprehensive correction.

I have finally finished the UH-60A MedEvac build.

I painted it with Testors Model Master Acrylic Helo Drab.

I used Werner's Wings Blackhawk decals for markings. I also used the WW Blackhawk stencils on it as well.

I marked it as "Medic 618" from C Co (Charlie Med), 2 Bn 3rd Aviation Regiment, 3rd ID. It will represent a bird from a deployment in the mid 2000's, around '05, before ACUs.

I weathered it with washes with a couple sandy and dirty brown acrylic colors.

Here she is.

IMG_0154.jpg

IMG_0157.jpg

IMG_0158.jpg

I shortened up the CMWS receivers on the nose and relocated the APR-39 receivers on the tail to under the stabilator.

IMG_0146.jpg

IMG_0149.jpg

IMG_0145.jpg

IMG_0160.jpg

IMG_0159.jpg

More photos here.

Next up is the Crew Chief and Flight Medic on the ground, some grunts and wounded, and a dio base of it on an Iraqi road.

As always, all comments welcomed.

Nice. I love it. The whole thing just looks cool as sh.t. Glad everything worked out and came together. It is nice to see the products in use on a model, especially when it comes out this nice.

You might think about trying Mig Pigments for weathering. They take some practice but really are as realistic as you can get. The armor guys swear by them, me too.

Can't wait for the next one. LOL Great job.

Floyd

Floyd - Thanks for the compliments. It always makes it easier when you start with well designed and good quality parts and decals. Keep up the good work. I have tried the Mig pigments, being an armor modler too. I find them no better than the old tried and true chalk pastels. I prefer washes for a muddy, pooled dirt look too. We all have our prefered method, as long as it works for you.

Alby - Thanks, glad you like it. I have been at this one over a month, pretty much a few hours almost every day, with a few days off for my surgery. For me that is about average. I tend to work pretty quickly I guess.

Austin - Thanks for checking in on it. It was a fun build.

Ray - Thanks. I am sure you could do one just as nicely.

Wow, that was fast!! Great Blackhawk, i like the weathering, well all , but you might try to fix the blade drop/flex, in general, it turn out amazing.

Hey,is the acrylic helo drab look different than the enamel, why is that?? or is just me??

Rod.

Pete - Thanks for the compliments. Yours was a big inspiration for mine. I'll get right on the figs and the rest of the dio.

Rod - Glad you like it. Actually, the Blackhawk doesn't have a large amount of blade droop.

uh-60l_038_usarmy.jpg

The Acrylic Helo Drab is more green. It is a brighter color than the Enamel Helo Drab. I don't know why there is a difference, I guess its in the formulation or something. The Acrylic one looks more like the actual color though, at least to me.

Hey,is the acrylic helo drab look different than the enamel, why is that?? or is just me??

I have seen both types of CARC paint. The enamel is representative of a smoother more grey finish. The darker more green is like the acrylic. While in Germany we had one Cobra and Kiowa painted in the greyer version. Both were repainted in Belgium. For what it worth.

Floyd

Thanks Brenden, it was a fun build so far. Now on to the figs and dio...

Here is a comparison between the Testors Model Master Helo Drabs (FS34031). On the left is a UH-60L I did a few years ago in Enamel Helo Drab (#2024), on the right is the Acrylic Helo Drab (#4723). You can see how the enamel is more gray and not as green. The acrylic version looks closer to the actual color to me.

IMG_0122.jpg

This build has even gotten this old hand thinking. Found a close-out Academy 1/35 UH-60L at a local hobby shop yesterday for less than $30. Couldn't pass it up. I may wind up getting out of my Loach Huey mindset. You have done a fabulous job, IMHO. I'm trying to develop these types of skills.

Ron

This build has even gotten this old hand thinking. Found a close-out Academy 1/35 UH-60L at a local hobby shop yesterday for less than $30. Couldn't pass it up. I may wind up getting out of my Loach Huey mindset. You have done a fabulous job, IMHO. I'm trying to develop these types of skills.

Ron

Ron,

Not sayin' that Hawks ain't nice and all, but I kinda like that Loach/Huey mindset!

Ray

Ray, Understand, just couldn't pass up the price on the Lima model kit. I'll either put into my samll but growing stash or hold it for trade value. Gotta finish the Cayuse and "A" model Huey that I have in the works before I take on any more modeling projects. Showed a picture of the instrument panel of a "H" model Sioux to a Apache driver. He wanted to know how to crank it. I told him that you wound the rubber band real tight. KIDS!!!!!!

Ron