Latin american GB?

Latin american GB  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Is this a good idea?

• HELL YEAH!
    • Maybe
    • Nah not my thing

Looks like we should have an interesting time :) I'm not verry good with banners (see below). But there are some fee banner creators around.

Il see if I can make some up with our Beeing to bias to my beloved island :D

Is the Caribean considered Latin America? Someone (MPM?) does a very colorful Cuban Hawk III that could be interesting if I can track one down.

I've got a few ideas for aircraft from Argentina, Chile or Guatemala if the Cuban Hawk doesn't work out.

Is the Caribean considered Latin America? Someone (MPM?) does a very colorful Cuban Hawk III that could be interesting if I can track one down.

I've got a few ideas for aircraft from Argentina, Chile or Guatemala if the Cuban Hawk doesn't work out.

RS Models, Sir; It is a Hawk II, a Goshawk (F11C-2). Good model; it is available in several boxings, each with multiple decal options. I have a set of the Cuban decals I will never use, if you cannot find that particular boxing (or, for that matter, want to build a Monogram Goshawk in that scheme).

Yes some caribean nations are part of Latin America. By definition any country in the American continent that speaks a desendant of the Latin language. This would then also include Canada lol, we will leave Canada out of this one hehe; however since Mr Gordon considers haiti part of Latin America in he's book "mustangs in Latin American airforces" it's in :). Also remember puerto Rico is positively part of Latin America so a PR ANG viper is totally acceptable.

RS Models, Sir; It is a Hawk II, a Goshawk (F11C-2). Good model; it is available in several boxings, each with multiple decal options. I have a set of the Cuban decals I will never use, if you cannot find that particular boxing (or, for that matter, want to build a Monogram Goshawk in that scheme).

Thanks, I'll keep you in mind. I'd like to try the new kit, but do have a couple of the Monogram kits as plan B. I'll be moving when the GB starts but that just gives me a little more time to track down the kit.

Yes some caribean nations are part of Latin America. By definition any country in the American continent that speaks a desendant of the Latin language. This would then also include Canada lol, we will leave Canada out of this one hehe; however since Mr Gordon considers haiti part of Latin America in he's book "mustangs in Latin American airforces" it's in :). Also remember puerto Rico is positively part of Latin America so a PR ANG viper is totally acceptable.

So really this is the Americas GB minus the 2 crazy uncles in the attic. :woot.gif:

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I'm set. I picked up Aztec's Guatamala sheet. Lots of options there but with RoG re-issuing the P-26 in 2012, a Guatamalian Peashooter is at the top of my list.

I also got an RS Models Curtiss Hawk II float plane that includes Peruvian and Columbian markings as another possibility.

I'm going to be moving into a new place in a few weeks so probably won't be able to start until Feb / March but once the bench is set up again I'll be ready.

Any reason why I can't assume the interior colors of the Argentine F4U-5 would be any different than a USN F4U-5?

Of course there is a reason, a book on Argentinian F4U-5/%N/5NL written by Jorge Nuñoz Padin was published and the answers are in there (albeit in Spanish).

So here it is... externally, the aircraft is in the same colors as the USN (Non-specular Sea Blue for the night fighting variants and Light Gull Gray for the day fighters). Day fighters had the flat black anti-glare panels and dark gray exhaust area sections.

In the cockpit, for F4U-5N/NL, the coaming and instrument panel were Instrument Black and the rest Interior Green. The F4U-5 had Dark Gull Gray interior with Flat Black gun sight, control stick, and instrument panel.

Gear bays were Insignia White for the F-4U-5 and Sea Blue for the others.

The tips of the front of the propeller blades were white with a red stripe while the backsides were completely black.

The insignia used by the Argentinians was a copy of the USN VF-844 Bitter Birds.

I hope this helps,

Edited by sharkmouth

The F4U-5 had Dark Gull Gray interior with Flat Black gun sight, control stick, and instrument panel.

Gear bays were Insignia White for the F-4U-5

I hope this helps,

THANKS! It sure does! I have the book - my spanish is non functional though.

The GB forums tend to lag a couple of days, but yes there should be one set up soon.

The basic idea is to share your work as you go along.

Usually what I do is start out with a shot of the box and sprues, and any aftermarket I am going to be using. This gives everyone an idea of what you have to work with and gives people a chance to see the stuff in case it is something they have been looking at getting themselves. I also give a short history of the subject, maybe a paragraph or so about the pilot / aircraft as appropriate. In your case the Corsair is pretty well known, so I'd probably focus on its use in Argentine service.

I then add photos at each major step of construction until it is done.

Mikkel may have some additional rules, but that is the general function of a group build.

We are have some start problems, sorry for that guys :)

You can of cause start your bulids now and feel free to post photos of your bulids as the come along ;)

Just for a little latin american weirdness:

FADP-51D.jpg

Hope to start soon!B)