1/48 Vagabonds-Jolly Rogers F8-C Crusader

Hi guys,

I'm well into my build of the F8 Crusader using the 1/48 Hasegawa French Navy F8 and Muroc F8-C conversion which fits like a treat to the original kit. Instead of using the full conversion I decided to use the part conversion with Eduard P/E. I have the Cutting Edge decals to boot with the only down side of these being that there is no 'USS Independence' decals for the rear fuselage.

My question/s for those in the know is; does anyone have a decent nose shot of the F8C particularly the Vagabonds/JR Crusader as I can't quite make out whether the pitot tubes are central to the nose as per the kit instructions or just above the intake which is where I think they should be, and is there an air speed indicator tube on the starboard side below the cockpit.

My other query is; can I use the kit seat with the P/E to make a true representation of a Crusader seat or was this a different Mk. of the MB seat? I don't want to have to try and track down a resin seat if the kit one is close enough when the P/E is added.

Hoping that someone can help as I can't find any close up shots via Google that assists.

Regards

Andrew :cop:

P.S. Hope to put some images up in the 'In Progress' forum over next couple of days

Check True Details for the early Mk F-5 seat, I think they make the best one.

HERE's a link from a past discussion.

Also search here for articles posted by Superheat, he had some up close shots of the nose.

I can't find a good pic of the M/B F-5 seat without the extra cushion removed,but in THIS picture you can see the difference in the parachute pack, the tub wraps around the parachute and if the cushion was removed you could better see the pack of the upper seat, it is shaped like a long horse shoe, rather than the hard container of the M/B F-7 seat.

Curt

Edited by Netz

Ok, I was looking for a straight up build, I did find that one in your profile page.

Check those exhaust scoops, they look to be at the wrong angle.

Dave's conversion is nice.

Curt

Hi Andrew,

The pitot tube (which provides the dynamic pressure info for the air speed indicator) is located as per David's instructions as can be seen in the photo Jose posted above or the one below. There is nothing on the right side. The Life photo that Jose posted also shows the Yaw vane on the top of the radome, which dates it to 1959 or 60, since they didn't last long.

F-8A-DPitot-sm.jpg

The Hasegawa kit seat is a good basis for an F5 seat, in fact, out of the box it is a better representation than one of the aftermarket seats produced. Below are some photos to help with detailing it. Unless True Details has begun marketing the Black Box seat for the Hasegawa kit separately, the seat they have is the old KMC seat for the Monogram kit and, though very nice, is too wide and too tall to fit the Hasegawa kit.

F5upper-1.jpg

F5lower-1.jpg

F5seatRRsm.jpg

F5seatLRsm.jpger

A couple things to note since you are starting with the E(FN) kit is that you will need to assemble the leading edge flap segments as single elements rather than the two elements of the E(FN)/J.

EFNorJtoA-Edroop.jpg

Also the UHT (horizontal stabs) on the E(FN) and J are larger than those of the other F-8 versions and should be reduced in size to accurately portray a C.

EFNorJtoA-EUHT.jpg

Some notes on VF-84 and the F-8: VF-84 was the first squadron to equip with the C and it was the only version they operated. Since C production began with the Vought seat, 84 initially had that seat, probably for no more than a year or so. I have photos from a pilot who was in the squadron from 61 to 63 (which I am not at liberty to share, unfortunately) and all have MB F5 seats. All also have spoked nose wheels, but the late disc style mains, though I am sure their original aircraft had the ribbed mains when delivered. It would be nice if someone would do those early ribbed mains (Doug?). The long and short of it is that a VF-84 C can have either seat, and either set of wheels, or a combination thereof, depending on the time frame: in 59-60, Vought seat early wheels; 61-63 MB seat, spoked nose wheel with late mains; by 64 the late wheels.

It's a bit late, but I hope it helps.

Cheers,

Tom

Wow those are nice pics, not seen them before.

I thought at the time VF-84 had the C model they were fitted with the vought seat. Most pics I have seem to suggest this as it is much more boxy than the MB seat.

You won't believe the amount of new quality material I have to upload!

Yes, Vought seats on VF-84 Crusaders.

Hi Andrew,

i attempted to start a F8U-1 conversion using just the Hasegawa kit, but i got deadlocked with the cooling vents. Do you have an email address where i can contact Dave Newman about the conversion?

Cheers,

david

Hi guys,

I'm well into my build of the F8 Crusader using the 1/48 Hasegawa French Navy F8 and Muroc F8-C conversion which fits like a treat to the original kit. Instead of using the full conversion I decided to use the part conversion with Eduard P/E. I have the Cutting Edge decals to boot with the only down side of these being that there is no 'USS Independence' decals for the rear fuselage.

My question/s for those in the know is; does anyone have a decent nose shot of the F8C particularly the Vagabonds/JR Crusader as I can't quite make out whether the pitot tubes are central to the nose as per the kit instructions or just above the intake which is where I think they should be, and is there an air speed indicator tube on the starboard side below the cockpit.

My other query is; can I use the kit seat with the P/E to make a true representation of a Crusader seat or was this a different Mk. of the MB seat? I don't want to have to try and track down a resin seat if the kit one is close enough when the P/E is added.

Hoping that someone can help as I can't find any close up shots via Google that assists.

Regards

Andrew :cop:

P.S. Hope to put some images up in the 'In Progress' forum over next couple of days