Hi all

I realized today that I've not completed a model in well over two years, and I think part of the reason is that I get bogged down with a project (I build 1/48 and 1/32), loose interest in it, and want to move on to another project thinking it might go together a little easier or faster. I'm the kind of a person who needs to be able to see measureable progress when I put a project down for the night, and with my limited amount of time to spend modelling, it's hard to acheive this in the bigger scales. So, I want to grab some 1/144 kits and try to knock them out in a night or two and move onto another one to get my mojo back.

What kits are good? I'm mostly interested in modern US subjects, but could branch out a little too.

I appreciate the help.

Aaron

As rustywelder said, Revell have some very good kits. Their recent 1/144 F-14s (apart from 04004), F/A-18s, AV-8B+ and E-2C are very good. For a look across the pond, their Eurofighter Typhoon (04282, not 04074), Tornadoes, Starfighters, Rafale, Harrier Gr.7 and Hawker Hunter are also great.

And just released here in Germany... a scale-down of their 1/48 F-15E. :whistle:

Don't have a kit of it yet, but I saw a test shot at a modelling expo and it looked gorgeous.

In some cases it pays to consult Google beforehand, as some of their older kits are still available, which are nowhere near as nice as those from new tools.

Another great kit of a modern US subject is Trumpeter's 1/72 F-22A Raptor.

Also, Fightertown has some great decals for 1/144 Tomcats and Super Hornets. Definitely worth checking out! :thumbsup:

The Eduard 1/144 ME-262 / Avia S-92/CS-92 is a beautiful little kit, and available very cheaply too. Sweet & Platz make beautiful 1/144 kits, but I'm not sure if any are jets. Dragon has a huge range too. Avoid the Airfix 1/144 kits, they're poor Chinese kits, and luckily OOP.

If you want quick builds, I would go for the Revell Rafale, Hunter, or the (new) Eurofighter. These have the least tiny parts, best fit, simplest paint schemes, and no big errors that require fixing. You can even leave off the pylons for most of these. The Rafale is the best - it's very hard to screw that kit up. Excellent detail, near perfect fit, single color overall, great decals. If you look in the Display Case, you will see a number of people who've built this and they always look great.

The Revell F-15E will be in America in November.

Eduard has also done nice things I believe. Ju-87 (hardly a jet of course), Me-262 and MiG-21. You should really check out what Platz does: A-4 but also F-104, F-4, F-8, etc.

Edited by Laurent

Revell makes some nice 1/144 F-14 Tomcat kits too. You have to be carefull when buying them though, there are at least four boxings I'm aware of:

These are derivatives of the same moulding and are very nice indeed:

10122550.jpg

web photo

revell-f-14a-tomcat-fighter-jet.jpg

web photo

revell-f-14-a-tomcat-black-bunny-fighter-jet.jpg

web photo

However, this one comes from old Arii moldings wich date to the 70s or early 80s and is rubbish. it worked when it was the only game in town. Dragon trumped it in the mid/late 80s and then Revell eclipsed them both with the moldings the above kits come from:

rev04004.jpg

net photo

It really must be stressed that you need to do your research when buying Revell 1/144 kits. They have released series in the scale at various times over the years. A Revell Germany box is no guarantee that what's in there will be of modern tooling.

A few that come in Revell boxes, beyond the above mentioned Arii Tomcat, that you should be wary of as they are all older Japanese moldings from the 70s or early 80s:

Harrier AV-8A/GR.1 and Sea Harrier FRS.1:

These go back to old Crown moldings and are quite crude. I've not seen them appear in Revell Germany boxing, but I have seen them in older Revell boxings. They are of no relation to Revell Germany's exquisite Modern Harrier II kits.

F-15A Eagle:

Old Crown molds again. Revell Germany has two F-15A boxings, one Tiger Meet and the other Bicentennial markings, both are exactly the same moldings and have no relationship with the very nice, new F-15E kit.

F-16 Viper:

Steer well clear of this! I have no idea what exact provenance it has, but with the exception of the old Arii F-16XL, NOBODY has done a decent F-16 in 1/144 yet.

F-117 Nighthawk:

This is pure fiction and the tooling clearly draws on old artist concepts from when the aircraft was still quite classified.

MiG-29 Fulcrum and MiG-31 Foxhound:

Both barely resemble the real aircraft even in passing. I suspect the molds date back to before the fall of the Iron Curtain.

F-4E Phantom, Mirage F.1 and F-111:

The F-4E has made it into the Revell Germany line, while I have seen the other two in older Revell boxings. All of them are older Arii toolings and look their age. The F-111 also has some dire shape issues.

B-52 Stratofortress:

Revell has issued a few B-52 kits. they have their own tooling, which represents late service developments like sensors all over the nose and include weapons like ALCMs and Harpoon anti ship missiles.

They've also released a B-52H of old Crown origins which, despite it's age, is an enjoyable build and a required starting point if you want an earlier, smooth nosed, BUFF in your collection. That kit also comes with a nice selection of period weapons, like Hound Dog, Sky Bolt and SRAM and even a Quail decoy missile.

E-3 Sentry:

Not Japanese origins, but this kit's moldings should have been cut up years ago! The core of the kit dates back to Revell's box scale days and so isn't in 1/144 at all. The moldings are really showing their age.

Edited by Kevan Vogler

If I haven't sent you straight into a coma regarding Revell kits, and you can bear with me a bit longer; here's some refections I have on other manufacturers who touch the scale:

Attack Models:

This a is a Czech outfit that makes some decent kits of classic Soviet jets like the MiG-15, MiG-17, MiG-21 and Su-7 in 1/144. They also make kits of the domestically developed Aero L-39 Albatros trainer jet.

They are limited run, so they don't fall together and availability may be a problem.

Academy:

Academy have been hit or miss in the scale.

While they were partnered with Minicraft, they had some total dogs. Their Su-22 Fitter and Su-25 Frogfoot looked more like characatures.

However; when they later partnered with Hobbycraft, they churned out some real gems like their B-47 Stratojet and B-58 Hustler.

Italeri:

Any 1/144 I've seen in Italeri boxing is old stuff.

They have a Panavia Tornado (old Arii) and a MiG-29 (same toolings as the Revell kit I mentioned before) that I bought and they were enough to put me off any further 1/144 purchases from that manufacturer.

Dragon:

These guys led the way in the scale through the mid/late 80s, and you couldn't beat them back then.

Their single seat F-15 Eagle was better than the old Arii and I don't think anyone has tried to better the Dragon kit yet.

Their A-6E Intruder was also quite nice, but canopy masking and weapons instalation almost drove me nuts on an Intruder of that scale. Still the only game in town for a 1/144 Intruder as far as I know.

However,as celebrated as they could be, Dragon had their failings too....

Their Harrier II kits had some serious shape issues. I know some people who tried to correct the problems, but it just isn't worth it these days with Revell Germany's superior Harrier kits out there.

Their Sukhoi Su-27 Flanker was a valiant attempt to get a kit of the, then, quite enigmatic Soviet fighter onto the market in the scale. However, their kit is severly underscale in all directions.

Eduard:

Eduards' 1/144 kits have been very nicely made. The aforementioned Me-262 derived kits are lovely.

Eduard has very recently announced a MiG-21 in the scale and I'm very much looking forward to that considering how well their 1/48 kit has been received.

Heller:

I can't say too much about Heller's 1/144 line as I've only seen their E-2 hawkeye and it was so crude compared to the lovely Revell Germany offering of the same that I didn't bother looking into further Heller 1/144 kits.

Edited by Kevan Vogler

Read some excellent reports on the Trumpeter bite-size F-22; otherwise like the other folks here said, Revell (recent toolings) all the way -the F/A-18E is on my desk right now.

However, here is one being done properly:

Click

Treat yourself to some of these glorious MYK decals:

MYK Design

And create a marvel of miniature elegance! :woot.gif:

Edited by ChippyWho

As mentioned, Trumpeter's F-22 kit is excellent. However, stay away from their 1/144 J-7 and J-8. They require an ungodly amount of filler, have panel lines so trench-like that they make Zvezda blush, and the J-7II's decals explode when they come into contact with moisture. I guess that's why they only cost $1.99 - $2.99 on Squadron.

For your newest 1/144 collection, FCM decals from Brazil have some interesting options for this scale, a full range of Tomcat decals in progress (VF-111 Sundowner and VF-114 Aardvarks already available) and many other 1/144 decals further.

You find FCM decals in USA with Sprue Brothers. B)

For your newest 1/144 collection, FCM decals from Brazil have some interesting options for this scale, a full range of Tomcat decals in progress (VF-111 Sundowner and VF-114 Aardvarks already available) and many other 1/144 decals further.

You find FCM decals in USA with Sprue Brothers. B)

I for one can say that the FCM decals are top notch and well worth the money. By the way what is next in the FCM 1/144 series?

Dave Fassett

Pit Road Skywave in Japan has done some nice kits of the F-35 variants (I have a couple of the F-35A kits). They also do an injection tooled TSR-2 and are coming out with the anime Stratos 4 version soon. I WISH MRC would import the Platz F-104s and A-4s as those kits are harder than heck to acquire even in Japan. I would buy multiples of them if they were more readily available and on this side of the pond. Trumpeter also did a nice set of F-86s in 1/144 (F-30 and F-40 wing versions). They are great for Godzilla attacks. ;)

As for the Arii kits, they can be hit and miss. The subjects they inherited from LS are pretty nice for their age and have good detail and decent fit, even if they might be lacking in spots compared to more modern stuff. Arii itself tooled up some kits in their own stable, such as the F-8, F-5 and F-4B (avoid those for the most part as these aren't really good except for maybe the F-4 if you wish to kitbash it with a more modern kit to make a short nose Navy version). The Crown kits Arii reissued aren't quite as good as the LS ones. Arii also inherited the 1/144 fighter kits Otaki did, which includes a VERY nicely done F-102, F-105, F-111, RA-5 Vigilante and prototype F-15A with the original wingtips. LS also did a somewhat decent SR-71 Blackbird that Arii repops from time to time. LS also did a nice collection of P-3 Orions in 1/144.

As for Dragon, indeed they can be filler monsters. But they have some subjects you can only find there (such as Superbugs). I don't recall anyone else besides Dragon who has done anything decent with F-16s in 1/144 as the only other ones I've seen (except for LS's F-16XL) are all based on a rather crapy mold. Revell of Germany I think has repopped the Dragon F-16A, but I've also seen the crappier one in Revell packaging as well (closer to Minicraft's tooling). That isn't to say the Minicraft F-16 can't be built well. I've done a whole group as Thunderbirds for a customer. But they just have some weird shape issues (such as the nose which seems to be too bulbous and really TINY gear struts). Still, build up a set and you can do cool things like this with them:

Tb2.jpg

BTW, if you are looking for a Legacy Hornet that isn't a filler hog, the old LS kits build up pretty easily. The Revell ones are much better detailed though IMHO.

Edited by Jay Chladek

I for one can say that the FCM decals are top notch and well worth the money. By the way what is next in the FCM 1/144 series?

Dave Fassett

The next 1/144 decal will be for Minicraft's PBY-5A Catalina. ;)

Eduard now relase a brand new MiG-21MF (Later MFN) kit in this midget scale. Decals version is only one - a czechoslovakian MiG-21MF(Later MiG-21MFN) "black 4175" from 1. Stíhací pluk České Budějovice '80, (1th. Fighter Wing, Budweis- Plana AFB).And a mont ago i bougth too newly tooled "Rhino" F/A-18E "Super Hornet". kit from Revell Germany - it really nice, unfortunatelly have only one decals options - for anniversary CAG airplane from Tomcatters. Weapons payload are a two JDAM, AMRAAM, Sidewinder AIM-9X, two Mk-24 "Paveway" and tanks. I cant'often build a small airplane but this two kits are realy iconic airplanes and very atractive. In short time Eduard may relase a dual combo of MiGs-21MF.

Edited by AlCZ

More Russians, if interested. Pit Road does the Sukhoi T-50 "PAK-FA". Trump does the Badger, Bear and Blackjack. However, Zvezda also does the Blackjack which I've heard is better than Trumpy's. Revell does the gigantic An-124 (and on the US side, also does a beautiful C-17).

• 3 weeks later...

Bringing this one back up. I was looking on E-bay tonight, and see some Ace Tomcats...I know that Ace re-boxed the Revell Rafale in 1/48 scale...Are these original molds (and if so, are they any good) or are they Revell re-boxings (and if so, is it the newer "good" molds?)

Thank's for the help again guys.

Aaron

ps. Can you get to a Bombcat w/any of these boxings? If not, what is needed to do so?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-144-ACE-F-14A-TOMCAT-AIRCRAFT-1031-NIB-FREE-SHIPPING-/280737260197?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item415d3ea2a5

Edited by strikeeagle801

These are direct re-boxings of Revell's new Tomcat. Bombcat parts are available in a number of the DML/Dragon kits and will fit just fine. Only problem was Dragon's Lantirn pod was mirrored.

In this scale, bombracks are a matter of slicing a styrene square rod or cutting out a piece from sheet, Lantirn rail is pretty easy as is scratchbuilding a pod. Bombs would be the toughest.

-brian

Bringing this one back up. I was looking on E-bay tonight, and see some Ace Tomcats...I know that Ace re-boxed the Revell Rafale in 1/48 scale...Are these original molds (and if so, are they any good) or are they Revell re-boxings (and if so, is it the newer "good" molds?)

Ace is actually a co-producer of many of Revell's models (if the Revell-Germany box says "Made in Korea", Ace is making it), so you are getting the same plastic and in most cases the same decals.

ps. Can you get to a Bombcat w/any of these boxings? If not, what is needed to do so?

You need the F-14D boxing so you get the right engines. It is simple to scratchbuild the tiny pylons for the bombs. But you need to get bombs from somewhere else (usually from a modern Dragon kit, which come with full arsenals). Or ask one of us - 2000lb LGB's are overproduced for kits and under-used by model builders.

As for your question:

What kits are good? I'm mostly interested in modern US subjects, but could branch out a little too.

My answer is:

As a side truck (branch out) from all the US subjects doing the new Eduard 144 MiG-21 is fun and in an out of box version it is truly a weekend thing. I can recommend it.

Best regards

Gabor