Soviet MiG-21 in color

Nice pictures. I love that last one of the MiG-21's on the flight line, replete with those cold-war Rooski propaganda posters.

The rest of the blog is really cool, haven't seen too many non-soviet MiG-25's, gotta fire up Google Translate to read up on the details.

Thanks for posting that link.

Great pics indeed.

And an interesting blog indeed... never would've thought the Hungarian defence ministry would be after ancient ex-USMC UH-1s...

11bee: be careful though - however good machine translation has become for languages similar to English, it always brutalises Hungarian, so the resulting translation can sometimes be extremely misleading...

Very cool photos. What I don't see are top wing roundels in any of the shots. I had always assumed the Soviets put roundels on the tops of the wings on their MiG's. Perhaps not on the MiG-21.

• 2 weeks later...

Very cool photos. What I don't see are top wing roundels in any of the shots. I had always assumed the Soviets put roundels on the tops of the wings on their MiG's. Perhaps not on the MiG-21.

As a little nitpick, the Russians apply red stars to their aircraft, not roundels. Modern Russian practice is to place a star on the upper and lower wing surfaces. It is safe to assume they are there.

(By contrast, in WWII, the upper wing stars were usually NOT applied. At least that common with fighters of that period.)

The fotos here are all from ground level, and so do not offer the right viewing angle to see the wing stars.

Edited by dahut
  • 3 weeks later...