After my discussion with those in the know about Sleds, I have decided to move the camera bay positions on the belly. The "Q-bay" and "P-Bay" windows for the for the TEOC camera's were incorrectly positioned on the kit, so a little plasticard filler and some stitch drilling and my Sled has two new TEOC windows :)/>.

sensor608.jpg

12ffc618.jpg

e1dd87ec.jpg

More to come!

Edited by nimrod77

Ok Guys,

I know it's not quite up to crunch time yet for a decision but.....

What do you all think...... ASARS Nose...

17817007.jpg

Or OBC/SLR nose??

6ccd30ca.jpg

With the ASARS nose on I'll do the DATA Link "Boyle" as well....

Data_Link_1b.jpg

Opinions??

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

I am still working on this project... SLOWLY... as I am in the middle of selling my house so no having modelling stuff around to mess things up!!

I have still managed to get this guy mostly done. Just a few more bits of detail to be added.

ecac0e85.jpg

2b394db4.jpg

f15a3e6f.jpg

Sorry about the quality of the pictures...

Big thanks to K2Pete for his help with the Astronauts to use as a basis. I will endevour to create a seated Pilot/RSO to go with this guy, then off to the casting lab!!

Comments and constructive criticism is always welcome.

Thanks for looking in!

• 8 months later...

This thread is officially resurrected :)

I have sold my house, moved and have finally got some modeling work done! Not as much as I would like but I am making progress.

First things first, I painted the insides of my CE Burner cans. The base colour is Radome tan lightened with a few drops of white.

IMAG0676.jpg

Then the scorched areas were painted using a combination of Aircraft interior black and Tamiya smoke.

IMAG0679.jpg

The "Bluing" that is common on jet engines was done using Russian interior blue/green.

IMAG0690.jpg

Then the whole thing was washed in Paynes grey water colour paints.

The Flame holders at the back were covered in Citadel "Babab black" wash. Then once it was 80% dry I wiped off the wash over the flame holder. The edge where the fan duct should be was painted with Aircraft interior black too.

IMAG0686-1.jpg

I am pretty happy with the whole look.

IMAG0682.jpg

IMAG0683.jpg

I have been putting in many hours into the engine nacelles/Outer wings. The HORROR...THE HORROR...

They have been totaly rescribed, and all the sink marks (and there were ALOT) were filled with cyano and sanded smooth. The massive gaps around the edges were filled with Evergreen and cyano, then the whole lot sanded.

IMAG0653.jpg

IMAG0651.jpg

IMAG0649.jpg

The panel lines have been....enhanced. I won't say corrected as I can't find good references for the panel lines for the black bird. I do think that they are a lot better now however.

IMAG0702.jpg

IMAG0701.jpg

The CE Exhausts needed a lot of convincing to get them to fit... Still not finished with these yet. I'll make sure the transition is between the kit parts and the CE parts are as good as possible.

IMAG0720.jpg

IMAG0722.jpg

And finally this time, I decided that the IFR receptical on the kit was pure fiction. I used this pic for inspiration and guesstimating the size and shape of the real deal.

Lockheed-SR-71-Blackbird.jpg

Here is the version that I scratched from Evergreen.

IMAG0713.jpg

IMAG0714.jpg

Here it is temp fitted to make sure everything will fit before I commit to gluing it in permanently.

IMAG0718.jpg

More pics to come once it's all sorted :)

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Any progress on this?? :woot.gif:/>/>

Actually Anthony, yes there has been a little progress. I have not been posting as alot of it isn't very interesting.

I have however, started building new main wheel wells. I cut out the old and scratched up some new ones from 1mm card stock. You can see the remnants of the original wheel wells with the new parts here.

2013-09-25210926_zps137a4202.jpg

2013-09-25211016_zps0f62bb12.jpg

The roof is 1mm thick, 1mm pitch corrugated evergreen to emulate the ribs on the roof of the real thing.

2013-09-28161048_zps350ca740.jpg

2013-09-28161117_zps681f76dd.jpg

I did end up removing every second raised rib on the inboard parts to try and match the real thing too.

2013-09-28210022_zpsd3fdfec9.jpg

Edited by nimrod77

I've started to drop the flight controls too so as to give this big bird some look of life. I have discovered that the two IB flaperons are not symmetrical unfortunately.... which has resulted in alot of extra work to bring them back to some semblance of symmetry.

2013-09-25211115_zps842908e8.jpg

2013-09-25211137_zps6c90b7d6.jpg

2013-09-25211209_zps39233652.jpg

• 3 weeks later...