Tamiya Phantom!

A lot of people prefer the F-4 in the SEA camo, but, for me, I remember them in the Hill Gray scheme when I was a kid. Although I have no idea if it was this particular jet, I remember a jet from this squadron on the transient ramp here at Wright-Patterson as a kid in 1988. I remember noticing how the camo was different than that on the jets based here. I've been a fan ever since.

Anyway, this is obviously the Tamiya kit with a lot of scratch-building to make it accurate for a late '80s ANG/AFRES jet. The cockpit is Black Box, perfect for a LORAN jet such as this (this squadron removed the towel rack in the late '80s). The exhaust is the beautiful set available from Joe Lortie. Decals are a mix of the sheet from Hi-decal and my own.

926TFG_1_JMelampy.jpg

926TFG_2_JMelampy.jpg

926TFG_3_JMelampy.jpg

926TFG_4_JMelampy.jpg

926TFG_5_JMelampy.jpg

The travel pods are from the napalm tanks included in the Trumpeter A-10 kits. The fins were removed and then the entire tanks were reshaped. The two pods add a much-needed splash of color.

926TFG_6_JMelampy.jpg

926TFG_7_JMelampy.jpg

926TFG_8_JMelampy.jpg

926TFG_9_JMelampy.jpg

926TFG_10_JMelampy.jpg

926TFG_16_JMelampy.jpg

926TFG_17_JMelampy.jpg

926TFG_18_JMelampy.jpg

This shot was taken about a week ago, just before I finished it. I need to add the aux cooling doors, but I wanted to show the mounting of the high-speed centerline tank, which was swiped from the Revell F-4 kit. When using this tank, you have to add the sway braces and other connections to the tank.

926TFG_19_JMelampy.jpg

thanks for looking!!

Edited by jmel

That looks amazing Jake! Outstanding! I am one of the people who say that FOD covers are NOT cheating. They do add color and interest to a model, and they are realistic as well. You see FOD covers a lot when jets are parked, so it makes sense to me to have them on unless you are showing the jet ready to go flying, or in flight.

Aaron

Last few. As I mentioned, the cockpit is Black Box, but since they give us Navy (!) seats, I used Quickboost seats instead. These seats are OK, but lack several of the belts and leg restraints. I added the yellow safety pin strap always seen on jets at rest. I also had to wire the back of the instrument panel.

926TFG_26_JMelampy.jpg

926TFG_25_JMelampy.jpg

926TFG_23_JMelampy.jpg

And, of course, the phinished product with my reference material! :D

926TFG_20_JMelampy.jpg

What a beautiful model. Jake, I am absolutely impressed. If you want some more color, I'd suggest putting the downlocks on the gear and aux air doors. They should be there anyway if the seats are pinned and intakes plugged. We put the downlocks on before pinning the seats after a flight, and unpinned the seats (except for the face curtain pin) before removing the downlocks when the crew was about to step to the jet. Besides, once you figure out how to make good looking downlocks, I'm counting on you to post how you did it so I can make some for my Phantom.

Here's some photos for reference, collected from the web (should have shot them myself, but never got around to it):

Nose gear downlock:

NoseGearDownlock_20050922.jpg

Main gear downlocks:

MainGearDowlocks_20050922.jpg

Aux Air Door:

F-4F--aux-intake-1.jpg

EAA2-28-2010009.jpg

EAA2-28-2010008.jpg

Scott, I screwed around for days trying to get the gear downlocks right. In the end, I finally gave up and decided to go without them.

Thanks a bunch, guys! It's always good to be able to add an F-4 to the shelf. I have a couple Vipers I want to finish up, then I'll start work on a 32nd F-4G!

Jake

Scott, I screwed around for days trying to get the gear downlocks right. In the end, I finally gave up and decided to go without them.

Awww, that's a shame. As awesome as your modeling skills are, I'd hoped that if anyone could think of a way to do it, you could. I know as mediocre as my skills are, it ain't happenin' for me... Maybe one of the aftermarket resin companies will surprise us with a set of downlocks someday. One can only hope.

I'm still amazed at this model, she's really sweet! Thank you so much for posting all the photos. They're very inspirational. I can't wait to see your Weasel!

Scott W.

Edited by Scott R Wilson

Really nice work Jake. It's great to see a model from a guy who wrote the book on F-4 details. Your paint job came out excellent!

I appreciate that, Chuck! The good thing about writing the books is it gets me motivated to work on a kit. I just wish my patience lasted a bit longer so I could finish at least as many kits as I start!

Awww, that's a shame. As awesome as your modeling skills are, I'd hoped that if anyone could think of a way to do it, you could. I know as mediocre as my skills are, it ain't happenin' for me... Maybe one of the aftermarket resin companies will surprise us with a set of downlocks someday. One can only hope.

I'm still amazed at this model, she's really sweet! Thank you so much for posting all the photos. They're very inspirational. I can't wait to see your Weasel!

Scott W.

I tried a few different methods, but the locks that secure the two halves together did me in. I just couldn't come up with the correct shapes to make it look convincing. Thanks again for the compliments!

Jake

Jake-

Outstanding Phantom!!! I thopught you might go with the 89TFS markings. Absolutely outstanding work sir

Hey, Ty! Thanks! I have another D-model started. It has the crew painted up in the cockpit. It'll be just getting airborne with the gear and flaps retracting. However, the hold-up is the getting the decals for the MiG-kill with the noseart. :tumble: There's a link over on Z5 with the in-progress pics.

Jake

Edited by jmel

Hey Jake, Great job as usual. When I saw it was your model coming up, I just skimmed your opening and saw Wright-Patt. I was sure I was gonna see an F-4D from the 906th. I remember them at the Dayton Air Show on static display (Nobody Does It Better). We sure have lost our "Ohio Air Force" over the last several years. A-37's in Youngstown; F-100's at Mansfield; A-7's at Rickenbacher; F-16's at WPAFB; F-16's at Springfield (That's the one that really tore my heart out). Toledo's F-16's are it. Anyway, I have digressed. Not seeing a 906TFG jet was fine. I have always loved the jets from TX. You have got me fired up to get going on an F-4D from WPAFB. You do a great job of setting a standard to shoot for.

Take Care and Fly Safe,

Tim

Hi Jake,

Magnificent build! Lovely gray cammo. Nice paintjob with smooth finish.

You make time to build models along with making your great books! :thumbsup:

Well, as I can see the pilots are about traveling on their vacation. The two traveling pods, one for each, eh? :D

Cheers and happy modeling!

Alexander

Edited by Eastern
  • 2 weeks later...