What other hobbies do you guys and gals have?

I'm curious to know what other hobbies take up your time? Is it mainly models or is there something else that puts scale modeling in second place. I've recently purchased tools and have started making a hunting knife out of 5160 bar steel. I love internet forums. You can learn anything! I believe scale modeling will always be my number one hobby though. Thanks in advance for your thoughts and comments.

Cameron

Shooting (usually M1911A1 .45 pistol). Military and Transportation History. Historical Miniatures Wargaming (primarily Axis & Allies: War at Sea and Wings Of War). Travel, when practical. Model Railroading (particular focus on the New York Central System and its flagship train, the 20th Century Limited).

I am a big time Battletech player, so I paint a lot of minis. I suck at mini painting, so I have tried doing something else....terrain building. I am actually pretty good at it. Right now, I am recreating all the official maps into 3D terrain. A buddy of mine has convinced me to give D&D 4E a try as well, so I am dabbling a little in that. I have just started making modular dungeon pieces as well.

battletech_map_14.jpg

battletech_map_8.jpg

Other than that and scale aircraft building, I enjoy flying model rockets.

Video of launch

This is a scratch built rocket I made.

I've been into model rocketry (it helps with building spacecraft and rocket models) and have a small RC helicopter and a Park Zone micro P-51D as well which I can fly. I don't currently have much of a budget to get into more than just the plastic right now though. Only other "hobby" that I am trying to turn into a decent job is my writing as I am trying to finish up a book on space stations that I am under commission for. It is going a little slower then anticipated, but it is moving along at least.

Where to start, I usually jump from one to the next. I enjoy working on real cars, scale models, I built car stero systems, xbox 360, love sci fi stuff, right now it's battle star galactica, but totally into star trek DS9 would be my favorite. I just got done building a custom cabinet for a friends restaurant. I had to make it look all old and weathered and then his wife threw me a curve and wanted it stained green. I work on video arcade machines for a living and I'm in the study process to build my on mame cabinet and system. I tried gardening but my thumbs just not green enough. I collect vintage gi Joe vehicles as well as some of the newer stuff. I have plenty of transformers sitting on shelves in my office. I even have some voltron stuff. After all that I've managed to get to the weathering stage on the F-100 I'm building. Then on to the next project

My other hobbies are woodworking and working on 1:1 cars and motorcycles. I own a CVO Harley and a freshly restored 1986 Honda CR250 motocross bike. My son and I do custom bike and car paint jobs in my garage and we do a lot of mechanical work too. I do a lot of stuff for my relatives, friends and neighbors for free. Brake jobs, oil changes, exhaust replacement, diagnosing engine problesm...stuff like that. Heck we've even changed transmissions and/or entire engines! (I have a 10,000 pound lift) Some of you may recall 3 years ago when I was building Manland! Here's a link to my Fotki albums... http://public.fotki.com/tsumner/ There are pics of my shops there. The building ia 4' bigger than my house at 24 X 48! The second floor is the woodshop.

Here is a link to some of my woodworking projects on my Facebook page.

My latest project is near and dear to my heart. 8 years ago, a close friend and fellow police officer, Larry Pudvah, had knee surgery and subsequently got this nasty infection and actually died! It was a real shock to all of us. Every year we have a party in his honor at a local club and we try to raise a little money for a scholarship the family gives to a local high school student every year. They do this by raffling off lot's of baskets and stuff. Well this year I wanted to help out and I didn't have anything for a raffle. Then I thought, "Well dummy...you have this big woodshop...make something!" So I did. The first couple of photos of my woodworking projects folder are what I just finished making.... It's a bookcase or pantry. 6' tall, 3' wide 1' deep. This piece will be raffled off at the party this coming saturday in an effort to raise a bit more money for the scholarship. I'm hoping the piece will fetch a lot!

I guess you could say that one of my hobbies is helping other people whenever I am able to.

Camping and backpacking - I just finished section hiking the 560+ mile Finger Lakes Trail in New York. Amateur astronomy on the few nights a year it's not cloudy in my area. And with a public library across the street from my house I do a lot of reading.

Impressive everyone! When I'm not modeling, I like to get outdoors.

I like to hunt (Whitetail deer and squirrels) in th autumn and winter. If my family would let me out of the house more, I would do more ( turkey, coyote, pheasant). I'm also getting into shooting just for the sport of it.

Spring and summer I like to train for bicycling RAGBRAI (Registers Annual Great Ride Across Iowa). And camp with the family.

I also like read- comic books and vairous magazines

Edited by toadwbg

Does Golf and Strangling Animals count? I don't think I can get the third hobby through the forum censor. :D

Actually. it is online gaming..

edit for spelling of sensor to censor .. doh

Edited by Wege

During the summer lots of golf. Winter months I bowl. Reading is an all year round occasion. I try to get old books when I can find them. Love the smell of an old book.

And my other number 1 indoor hobby is PS3.

Battlefield 3 will be taking up much of my time in a few weeks.

I enjoy collecting books and movies ...

I play video games, I enjoy action/adventure, fighting and some FPS games ...

Drawing with pen and ink, colored pencil and water color pencils being my favorite mediums ...

Gregg

When I have the money (which is rarely) I shoot (AR-15)....except there aren't any decent rifle ranges near me except for an elitist posh "association" that charges $400 per year for range time, so I have to find a family member who has land.

I used to play airsoft every weekend, but those games are always on Saturdays and my Saturdays have become filled with my latest hobby:

Bass guitar. Started playing for my church, and practice takes up half of every Saturday. I'm starting to get a little frustrated with it though--I know scales but I can't create squat. It's like being able to recite the entire alphabet but not being able to form a single word.

I really want to join the local glider club; it's a helluva lot cheaper than getting a private license and the cockpit is set more to my liking (I absolutely hate having the throttle on my right side--I'm right handed, my right hand should be on the stick/yolk). Alas, that's on Saturdays and requires money.

So I guess I'm stuck with models and bass. Although I do occasionally enjoy a game of Falcon 4: Allied Force on my crappy little netbook....I need a new computer so I can try DCS: A-10.