What other hobbies do you guys and gals have?

On 12/3/2017 at 4:52 PM, Thommo said:

Cod season started December 1 !  I'm tying all my own flies these days for trout, cod, bass and carp.  Very satisfying catching fish on your own creations, even if they are a lot rougher than the pristine shop-bought models. The fish don't seem to care.

Wow nice Catch!

On 7/12/2016 at 3:53 PM, Drifterdon said:

Dusting off a really OLD thread here. Thought I'd share a couple of my other hobbies that seem to take up a bunch of time.

20140909_173746_zpsb137ac14.jpg

20140627_161217_zps7d4f27d9.jpg

20151112_211127_resized_zpsst2khk89.jpg

20151112_211205_resized_zps2vbvyfcn.jpg

I love the "Goat" (what year is it a 1967-68?) but that T-Bird looks awesome as well.

On 12/18/2017 at 7:33 AM, f5guy said:

As my thumbnail photo would indicate, I love to fish..... tiger musky fishing to be exact. I've been hooked on it for the last six years. Even my wife has gotten into it, and she has put some very quality fish into the net. And easy fishing it is not! I think that's why I like it. It can be incredibly challenging. Every day on the water you have to put a complicated puzzle together to figure them out, and every day it changes. Sometimes a lot, sometimes a little, and about the time that you think that you've got them figured out, you find out the hard way that you don't! But the rewards can be great...... there's nothing like watching a three to four foot long green torpedo bearing down on your lure, knowing that its about to get crushed, or watching your top water lure disappear into a swirl the size of a coffee table! It will nearly stop you heart ;0) Then the fight is on, and if it goes well, you get the fish into the net, unhooked, hold it up for a photo, measure it, and then put it back in the water to fight another day. Its a wonderful feeling. Now I'm ready to fish dammit!

I have also put my modeling skills to good use, and have been painting lures for the last several years. I rarely catch fish on a "factory" paint job anymore. Nearly everything I catch is on one of my customs, which is always an extra bit of satisfaction ;0) Fred K.

Are those Muskie native to Utah? I know there have been some problems with guys releasing them into lakes at the National Parks and having Trout etc. suffer the consequences. Muskie is big money fishing in Wisconsin....

8 hours ago, DBB69 said:

Playing drums, but the hobby is learning to drum along to RUSH songs. Working on Spirit of Radio right now.

Nice!  I heard Neal Peart in an interview once saying that even he had a hard time with the drumming in Tom Sawyer.  :D  I think he's one of the best in the business.  I try to play along with Lifeson on a few songs and I eventually end up throwing my guitar into the garbage only to retrieve it after I've cooled down a bit.

2 hours ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

Are those Muskie native to Utah? I know there have been some problems with guys releasing them into lakes at the National Parks and having Trout etc. suffer the consequences. Muskie is big money fishing in Wisconsin....

Hi Matt,

The muskies in Utah are the hybrid Tiger Musky. They're a man made cross between the Northern Muskellunge (the fish that you're thinking of in Wisconsin), and the Northern Pike (the ones that will wipe out the trout and everything else). Being a hybrid, they can't reproduce. The Utah Department of Natural Resources (DNR) has become a real fan of the Tiger Musky over the last eight years or so. Since they can't make babies, their numbers can be controlled by stocking or not stocking. Utah has a real problem in several warm water reservoirs with huge numbers of panfish like crappie, perch (at Pineview Reservoir), and smallmouth bass (at Jordanelle Reservoir) overrunning the food supply. Cold water reservoirs like Joe's Valley and Scofield also have the same problem, but with the Utah Chub, which easily out competes and out produces, the local trout. The DNR uses the tiger muskies to control these smaller fish. The program has worked out well, and both Pineview and now Joe's Valley, are quickly gaining a nationwide reputation for producing monster (50 inches plus) tiger musky. Every year Pineview turns out one or two 50" plus fish, one of which I was fortunate enough to have pay a visit to my boat a few years back when my regular fishing partner caught it! The fish at Joe's Valley have only been in there about 9 years now, and are just starting to close in on the 50" mark. Jordanelle was stocked 3 years ago, and Scofield just this year, so the fish there are still small. Tiger muskies in Utah have been gathering a small but growing number of hardcore, but extremely dedicated anglers over the last decade..... myself among them ;0) FredK.

Edited by f5guy
3 hours ago, f5guy said:

Hi Matt,

The muskies in Utah are the hybrid Tiger Musky. They're a man made cross between the Northern Muskellunge (the fish that you're thinking of in Wisconsin), and the Northern Pike (the ones that will wipe out the trout and everything else). Being a hybrid, they can't reproduce. The Utah Department of Natural Resources (DNR) has become a real fan of the Tiger Musky over the last eight years or so. Since they can't make babies, their numbers can be controlled by stocking or not stocking. Utah has a real problem in several warm water reservoirs with huge numbers of panfish like crappie, perch (at Pineview Reservoir), and smallmouth bass (at Jordanelle Reservoir) overrunning the food supply. Cold water reservoirs like Joe's Valley and Scofield also have the same problem, but with the Utah Chub, which easily out competes and out produces, the local trout. The DNR uses the tiger muskies to control these smaller fish. The program has worked out well, and both Pineview and now Joe's Valley, are quickly gaining a nationwide reputation for producing monster (50 inches plus) tiger musky. Every year Pineview turns out one or two 50" plus fish, one of which I was fortunate enough to have pay a visit to my boat a few years back when my regular fishing partner caught it! The fish at Joe's Valley have only been in there about 9 years now, and are just starting to close in on the 50" mark. Jordanelle was stocked 3 years ago, and Scofield just this year, so the fish there are still small. Tiger muskies in Utah have been gathering a small but growing number of hardcore, but extremely dedicated anglers over the last decade..... myself among them ;0) FredK.

Actually Muskie are native to Wisconsin, and yes the Tiger Hybrids are plentiful. Wisconsin is well known as a "Muskie Hunter Paradise" and it is our state fish. I know California, Wyoming and I believe Montana have had issues with fishermen introducing Muskie and Northern Pike into waters that have never had them and the trout populations have been decimated. Muskie are freshwater Barracuda....an Apex predator in our lakes.

What's wrong with Crappie? The best eating panfish out there! You have any Walleye out there?

Edited by Mr Matt Foley
On ‎10‎/‎5‎/‎2011 at 12:47 PM, The_Animal said:

Photography...with the cost of it, it seems like it's going to end up being my ONLY hobby pretty soon. :monkeydance:

~drool~ 600mm...

Photography is my other hobby. I just picked up the Sigma 150-600mm on a crop sensor. Talk about reach for bird photography. 

Joel

13 hours ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

I love the "Goat" (what year is it a 1967-68?) but that T-Bird looks awesome as well.

Thanks Matt.   The Goat is a numbers matching '70 with the automatic Turbo 400.  I plan to keep it as original as possible.   The Bird is or was a plain Jane '66 without any of the extras you would expect in a T-Bird.  It does have power steering and power brakes but has the standard 390 motor and the C6 trans.   This one is for cruising and just having fun.  It draws more attention on the road and at the car shows than the goat.

21 hours ago, Drifterdon said:

Thanks Matt.   The Goat is a numbers matching '70 with the automatic Turbo 400.  I plan to keep it as original as possible.   The Bird is or was a plain Jane '66 without any of the extras you would expect in a T-Bird.  It does have power steering and power brakes but has the standard 390 motor and the C6 trans.   This one is for cruising and just having fun.  It draws more attention on the road and at the car shows than the goat.

Nice cars man. I have always had a soft spot for the GTO. You just can't beat the Muscle Car era.

Love the goat.  Lots of 125+ MPH memories in a '69 GTO a friend had back in high school.  I had a '66 Tempest convertible for a few years too.  

Edit:. Since my first posting in this thread, I've taken up woodworking as a necessary hobby.  It's kept me away from plastic for the past year.  About to finish up two cabinets and I'm back to the kits.  

Edited by Scott Smith
On ‎12‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 9:24 AM, AX 365 said:

Nice!  I heard Neal Peart in an interview once saying that even he had a hard time with the drumming in Tom Sawyer.  :D  I think he's one of the best in the business.  I try to play along with Lifeson on a few songs and I eventually end up throwing my guitar into the garbage only to retrieve it after I've cooled down a bit.

I agree! I love Rush. I too tried playing to them (drums) and I realized that it wasn't gonna happen. Course when I had my drums I wasn't very good to begin with.

^^^ Rush ^^^ All time favorite band. Saw them live in Austin about 10 years ago and was the most amazing musical experience of my life.

As far as hobbies I do a lot of fun related stuff, building AR’s, some light gunsmithing work here and there. Lots of range time involved. Camping, hiking, bicycling, fishing. Just about anything outdoors. 

Probably my biggest hobby other than modeling and my kids would have to be just reading. I have so many books my wife complains every time I look at a new book even at the grocery store. Mainly history, hence why I’m a history major, but tons of other subjects as well. I just love to read and be enlightened I guess.

4 minutes ago, Whiskey said:

^^^ Rush ^^^ All time favorite band. Saw them live in Austin about 10 years ago and was the most amazing musical experience of my life.

As far as hobbies I do a lot of fun related stuff, building AR’s, some light gunsmithing work here and there. Lots of range time involved. Camping, hiking, bicycling, fishing. Just about anything outdoors. 

Probably my biggest hobby other than modeling and my kids would have to be just reading. I have so many books my wife complains every time I look at a new book even at the grocery store. Mainly history, hence why I’m a history major, but tons of other subjects as well. I just love to read and be enlightened I guess.

Rush: Saw them on their "Hemispheres" tour in December 1978 right after I returned from 2nd Division in S. Korea.

Edited by Mr Matt Foley
4 minutes ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

Rush: Saw them on their "Hemispheres" tour in December 1978 right after I returned from 2nd Division in S. Korea.

Second to None.

4-7 CAV 2010-2012. Camp Hovey. Garry Owen. :beer4:

9 hours ago, Whiskey said:

As far as hobbies I do a lot of fun related stuff, building AR’s, some light gunsmithing work here and there. Lots of range time involved.

I've been bitten by the AR bug as well.  On my fourth.  The Lyman Plains pistol in .54 cal in my post is from a kit gun I built.  Working on a .50 cal flinter pistol right now.

9 hours ago, Whiskey said:

Second to None.

4-7 CAV 2010-2012. Camp Hovey. Garry Owen. :beer4:

5 hours ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

Amen to that brother.

2nd MP, Camp Casey & Camp Stanley 77-78

51 SPS, USAF, Osan AB, ROK 01-02

Thanks for your service gents!  :salute:

1 hour ago, Whiskey said:

Touche.

you can build a .22 AR as well. Plus the one of the top 3-gun competitors in the nation is a 9 year old girl.

9 years old is too young to play with weapons. I also feel that was about youth beauty pageants.