What other hobbies do you guys and gals have?

21 minutes ago, Scooby said:

9 years old is too young to play with weapons. I also feel that was about youth beauty pageants.

I hunted for the first time when I was 10. My father had me shooting Trap earlier that year. It depends on the parent/child involved. Personally, a 9 year old shooting 3 gun is too young, but it's the parents choice. Most Olympic target shooters start at a young age as well. The anti-gun culture is making it an issue today when years ago nobody gave it a second thought.

1 hour ago, Scooby said:

Sorry, I had a vision of a very young child getting an AR-15.

Hehehe. You set yourself up for that one!  LOL!  

When he made Eagle Scout at 17, I bought him the Henry Eagle Scout Edition engraved .22

When he turned 18 he got a CMP Special Grade M1 Garand.  

16 hours ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

I hunted for the first time when I was 10. My father had me shooting Trap earlier that year. It depends on the parent/child involved. Personally, a 9 year old shooting 3 gun is too young, but it's the parents choice. Most Olympic target shooters start at a young age as well. The anti-gun culture is making it an issue today when years ago nobody gave it a second thought.

Who says I am anti-gun? I’m also supportive of hunting. 

I tried hunting.  Even took the youngest with me a couple of times.  One of the most memorable times was just sitting in the stand watching two yearlings covered with spots munching on the new growth grass while mom was around the corner from a few trees watching over them.  We watched them for probably 45 min.  

Then one day it hit me like a ton of bricks.  I could be at home making my stash smaller instead of hanging out in the woods!  Seriously, it got to the point of sitting there in the quiet with all my projects running through my head that needed to be done.  

Final blow was closing day.  Drove out to the farm in sub freezing weather. Grabbed the gear out of my truck to include a down filled sleeping bag to put my legs into, day pack with a bottle of water and a sandwich.  Started to climb up into the stand which was nothing more than a 4'X4' wood box with a roof sitting about 12' up in the air on posts.  Ladder was straight up with no lean to it.  And it was covered with ice.  Got about half way up, foot slipped on the icy rung and slid back down to the ground hitting every rung on the way down.  I made it up on the second attempt.

Got in, got situated and down sleeping bag around my legs and noticed my rifle was missing.  Leaned over the edge and looked down and there it was leaning up against a sapling by the ladder.   D'Oh!!   Unzipped everything went down and retrieved my rifle and made the deadly climb back up.  

Keep in mind I'm doing this in pre dawn conditions and as quiet as I could possibly be.  Back in the stand I went through the entire procedure of getting warm again.   

Saw nothing and a few hours later I went to the day pack for some water.  Pulled it out and it was a block of ice.   That was my moment when I said Uncle and haven't been back in the woods since. 

Kroger is much closer and easier for me! 

Here is a link to a few recent pics.  We have a vintage club here in FLA.  It is basically a bunch of 50 to 70 year old guys racing 70s and 80s dirt bikes.  We don't really race with the kids on modern bikes. 

The bike you see in these pics is a my 79 Suzuki RM250.  I also have a 76 Honda CR250, but I am still restoring it.  It is not quite ready for the track yet.

People often ask me about parts support.  You can get most everything you need.   9 out of 10 of these bikes are broken up for parts to support the few that are still actively running.  High wear items like chains, sprockets, pistons, rings, clutch plates, etc. are still made by aftermarket companies.  Suzukis in particular are easier to find parts for.  These bikes were very popular back in the 70s and Suzuki made a ton of parts for them. Believe it or not, you can also still get parts for old European Husqvarnas, Maicos, and CZs.  It is great to be a part of it.

2017 Vintage Motocross

Edited by DutyCat

Great looking RM.  Up here in New England there has been a major resurgence of vintage racing.  That's why I did the '89 YZ.  It's going to be my NETRA Vintage series pre-modern ride next season.  If that beats me up in the woods(the suspension is still set for MX), I always have my '89 KDX200.  Both of those were absolute basket cases when I got them.  I think part of the fun is chasing down the parts.

1 hour ago, dekon70 said:

Great looking RM.  Up here in New England there has been a major resurgence of vintage racing.  That's why I did the '89 YZ.  It's going to be my NETRA Vintage series pre-modern ride next season.  If that beats me up in the woods(the suspension is still set for MX), I always have my '89 KDX200.  Both of those were absolute basket cases when I got them.  I think part of the fun is chasing down the parts.

Vintage racing is growing everywhere, I think.  It is not just older riders, either.  A lot of people don't like the direction of the sport the last few years.  Super  powerful, heavy bikes.  Huge, dangerous jumps,  and high speeds.  The new 60hp four strokes are really too much bike for a lot of regular weekend riders, and they are complex and expensive to buy and maintain.  There are even rumors of simple two strokes coming back.  Very few companies still make them, but I believe there would be a market.

• 2 weeks later...

When your other hobbies get you hurt.  Crashed the mountain bike on Sunday, surgery Tuesday, supposed to be fly-fishing in NZ in 2 weeks....but it's not my rod arm I broke, so still hopeful of doing a little, though much less & tamer than planned (easy lake shores only).

SvR8bGs.jpg

Thommo

That must have been some bad break for them to need a internal brace like that. I'm guessing that it was a clean break not a fracture. Hope that the mending takes place as quickly as possible. One thing for sure, It's going to put a real damper on your modeling for a while.

Joel

A fracture is a break and vice versa. It can be anywhere from a slight green stick fracture to a compound, comminuted fracture, or anything in between. This was a nice clean fracture.

In any event, it was a very nice repair with the plate and screws. Kudos to the surgeon.

Bob

Edited by Bob Beary
2 hours ago, Joel_W said:

Thommo

That must have been some bad break for them to need a internal brace like that. I'm guessing that it was a clean break not a fracture. Hope that the mending takes place as quickly as possible. One thing for sure, It's going to put a real damper on your modeling for a while.

Joel

Actually, the ER Drs/nurses were just going to send me home in a sling and said it will heal on it's own in 6wks.  But from the Xray, I could see it was displaced, and would never heal quite right, so insisted on seeing the orthopedic surgeon (who is a friend of ours - the benefits of living in the country), and he said "80-90% chance it would heal in a sling, but if it were my shoulder I'd get it plated).  As I do a lot of swimming & gyming for fitness, I wanted to maximise the chances of being able to swim pain-free again!

28 minutes ago, Bob Beary said:

A fracture is a break and vice versa. It can be anywhere from a slight green stick fracture to a compound, comminuted fracture, or anything in between. This was a nice clean fracture.

In any event, it was a very nice repair with the plate and screws. Kudos to the surgeon.

Bob

Yes, the OS also said nice clean break with no bits of bone floating about.  Compared to other cyclists plated collar bones, he seems to have gone heavy on the screws (11 of them - most have 6-8) but hopefully that will stabilise it more.

And here is the video of the crash from my rear-facing Fly6 camera....on the easiest bloody part of the track - pathetic!

fulcrum1, watch out for those WWII diving targets, it's not unusual to find they can still be armed with  live explosives.

Anyway, what I try to do is get in some range time and kill some paper targets.  I used to be pretty good with my M-16 and .38 in the Air Force but I just don't always find the time I'd like to have for shooting.