What other hobbies do you guys and gals have?

Other hobbies are pretty much as un-dramatic as this one. 

Are too many of them ;D (Heresy!! Heresy!!) And my health has been a mess for a decade plus, but, hey, that I can still plod along at all is something I am very thankful for. 

25510085798_c72e9a9ff2_n.jpg

There is this hobby's cousin of building and scratchbuilding, and of course painting, game miniatures.

Left one is bought, right one is made.

36097043315_610dddb209_n.jpg

35982993372_dd2704dc7c_n.jpg

Model trains in several scale/gauge combinations.

HO at model train club.

Have a very long way to go on my part of modular layout but some views are starting to come together.

24365072995_b28ba55c6b_n.jpg

25334154664_f2e0419655_n.jpg

Is fun to tinker with large scale, G scale, garden railway scale, too.

32694715730_8d63fe752e_n.jpg

And kitbashing HO trains in to O scale narrow gauge.

26974474906_6ee6ba54c5_n.jpg

And playing at writing a sci-fi story - work on it for about 4 months every 6th year.

33070770743_0cb4608d68_m.jpg

And then of course, flying kites.

29980847576_6c51cc5d01_n.jpg

29980847286_732dc4c3e0_n.jpg

Have got to find some lights bright enough to maybe cause UFO reports

Edited by southwestforests
On 1/22/2018 at 2:52 AM, habu2 said:

Fixed...   :thumbsup:

:thumbsup2: actually it probably will be the last time, not because of the sharks (it was in a sea sanctuary at Manly, so no chance of being bitten by that well-fed baby), but it just didn't really do it for me.  A bit like snow skiiing I guess - done it, not my thing.

• 3 months later...
On 12/31/2017 at 12:07 PM, DutyCat said:

Here is a link to a few recent pics.  We have a vintage club here in FLA.  It is basically a bunch of 50 to 70 year old guys racing 70s and 80s dirt bikes.  We don't really race with the kids on modern bikes. 

The bike you see in these pics is a my 79 Suzuki RM250.  I also have a 76 Honda CR250, but I am still restoring it.  It is not quite ready for the track yet.

People often ask me about parts support.  You can get most everything you need.   9 out of 10 of these bikes are broken up for parts to support the few that are still actively running.  High wear items like chains, sprockets, pistons, rings, clutch plates, etc. are still made by aftermarket companies.  Suzukis in particular are easier to find parts for.  These bikes were very popular back in the 70s and Suzuki made a ton of parts for them. Believe it or not, you can also still get parts for old European Husqvarnas, Maicos, and CZs.  It is great to be a part of it.

2017 Vintage Motocross

Wow, I only found out today DutyCat passed away riding his dirt bike. This was his last post.

Very sad, he was a big contributor to this community.

On 5/12/2018 at 9:41 AM, Scooby said:

Wow, I only found out today DutyCat passed away riding his dirt bike. This was his last post.

Very sad, he was a big contributor to this community.

Are you serious?  I'm kind of in shock.

47 minutes ago, dekon70 said:

Are you serious?  I'm kind of in shock.

Yeah, he had an aneurysm. The details are here.

I had wondered why he wasn’t posting anymore. Very sad to hear.

Edited by Scooby

Wow...sad news Scooby. Makes me wonder how many ARC'ers pass on/have passed on without us knowing. We think they've just stopped posting due to losing interest or other reasons aside from passing.

RIP DutyCat...

Don

On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 4:43 PM, ikar said:

fulcrum1, watch out for those WWII diving targets, it's not unusual to find they can still be armed with  live explosives.

hahaha, too true! I had no idea, everything from those Japanese ceramic grenades to torpedo's. Oil is an issue too, the wreck of the Prinz Eugen is leaking...saw a nasty slick last week.

Other hobbies apart from building models:

Tinkering with computers, especially getting them to read data off weather stations, the roof top solar etc. I also have an ADS-B set up to feed Flight Radar 24. 

Have an an interest in observing the weather and keeping records on the daily Min/Max temp, rainfall etc with a weather station set up in the backyard. 

Spend many hours at the local airports photographing interesting aircraft that come in and out. 

Also travel around a bit to visit airports and fly on various types of aircraft and airlines. 

When the weather is favorable fly my quadcopter. 

Cameron,

To answer your original question, I do a lot of things, but mostly I'm a mechanic.  Sometimes I break things, (ouch!)  Many times, I fix things, (ouch!)  Most of the time, I just try to prevent bad things from happening.  I do like to fill in crosswords and read on the long flights.

As to plastic modeling, I am mostly a collector and planner at the moment, as I have precious little time for the building or creating aspects of the hobby.  BUT.... when I retire, I am taking a whole year off and doing nothing except plastic modelling: building, casting, 3D printing, maybe even some decal printing. If I live that long. (Right now I have too many women in my life.)

R/

Dutch

10 hours ago, Ryan Hothersall said:

Other hobbies apart from building models:

Tinkering with computers, especially getting them to read data off weather stations, the roof top solar etc. I also have an ADS-B set up to feed Flight Radar 24. 

Have an an interest in observing the weather and keeping records on the daily Min/Max temp, rainfall etc with a weather station set up in the backyard. 

Hey Ryan, I'm curious about this. What do you do with the data once the computers are taking it in from the wx stations? I'm an Aviation Weather Briefer in Winnipeg for NAV Canada, so I'm always interested to see what other folks do with different weather products. 

4 hours ago, Specter1075 said:

Hey Ryan, I'm curious about this. What do you do with the data once the computers are taking it in from the wx stations? I'm an Aviation Weather Briefer in Winnipeg for NAV Canada, so I'm always interested to see what other folks do with different weather products. 

I make up monthly summaries in Excel and I am a member of several weather forums both Australian focused and world wide. When share or daya and photos on these forums, how much rain fell in the last storm etc.

My weather page is here.

Ryan Hothersall Weather website

Upgraded the MTB.  Just hope I can stay upright more often on this one! Currently nursing a very sore wrist from a mishap 3 weeks ago, which has screwed my other hobby - flyfishing - cos it hurts too much to cast.

Norco&Hilux.jpg